Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

T60 has occasional problems starting

T60/T61 Series
Muse

T60 has occasional problems starting

#1 Post by Muse » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:01 pm

I have two T60s and a T61. I bought only one of these new, which is a 1953CTO which I bought end of 2006. That machine has had this problem, the other two machines, bought used (the T61 refurbished), have never had a similar problem.

The 1953CTO T60 with the problem has done this with all 3 OSs I've had on it: Windows XP, Windows 7 and now Windows 10, Version 1607 (as well as the previous version of Windows 10).

Lenovo T60
1953CTO ThinkPad T Series T60
Intel Core 2 Duo processor T5500
Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit
14.1 SXGA+ TFT (Displaying to 23" and 19" LCDs by virtue of model 2504 mini dock)
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950
3 GB PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM 667MHz SODIMM Memory
Intel 330 180GB SSD
CD-RW/DVD-ROM Combo 24X/24X/24X/8X Max, Ultrabay Slim
ThinkPad 11a/b/g Wi-Fi wireless LAN Mini-PCIe

The problem appears thus:

Without warning, starting or restarting the machine it hangs at the screen where you see the Windows logo and the spinning circle. Instead of the spinning circle I get only the left half of the circle and there's no movement. The machine is unresponsive to anything but either removing power or pressing and holding the power button until it turns off.

This problem has happened, I'm guessing, over 20 times. I haven't kept count. Each of those times is actually a conundrum in itself. The machine will not start until something resolves, I don't know what. Sometimes a few restarts has the problem resolved. Other times it seems that no matter how many times I try, it won't get past a hang and I have to wonder if the machine will ever work again. I have IIRC in the post gone to a restore point, which led to the problem being sorted out.

Usually I have no idea what stops the problem. It sometimes says in addition to the Windows Logo and the 1/2 circle, "Preparing Automatic Repair"

However, it just hangs at that screen and I have to turn off the machine and restart it and hope that Windows will then start. It usually doesn't. It may say "Preparing Automatic Repair" next try, it may not. Eventually, Windows does start. It can be on the 5th try, it can be on the 30th try. I never know.

I used to think it had something to do with a hardware defect of the machine, what else could explain this? I thought maybe the CPU was getting too hot. I tried reseating the CPU/Heatsink. The CPU still runs hot (almost 60C IIRC), but I now think it's not a hot CPU. Today, after all, I started the machine from a suspended state and it went immediately into this cycle although the CPU should have been cool. However, I suppose that Windows decided to do its update thing from a suspended state. I don't know how else it could have gotten into this. One of Windows 10's characteristics is that it controls updates, not the user.

Today, I did some Internet research and one post suggested running either of these from a command prompt:

chkdsk /r
sfc /scannow

I inserted a Windows 10 installation DVD in the machine and went to the Repair this PC option. Among the advanced options were return to restore point (I tried that and was informed that there are no restore points), I tried a few other things including Repair ability of the PC to start (it said after a minute that it couldn't repair the problem). I went to the command prompt and ran sfc /scannnow against C:. It said something like this:

"Cannot run sfc/ scannow because Preparing Automatic Repair has scheduled repair operations that will execute next time Windows starts. Restart the machine and then run sfc/ scannow."

I restarted Windows and it didn't go into the hang screen but indicated that Windows Update was updating files and Windows booted normally. I asked to see what had updated and it said basically this:

Windows malicious software files update
Update for Adobe Flash Player
Windows cumulative update for Windows 10 version 1607

I rebooted to make sure the machine would boot properly.

I am right now imaging the SSD. At least I'll be able to restore from the image if this happens again, and would then just have to hope that Windows Update could sort out getting the OS current.

Can anyone speak to this problem?
"If a star were a grain of salt, you could fit all the stars visible to the naked eye on a teaspoon, but all the stars in the universe would fill a ball eight miles wide." - A Briefer History of Time, Stephen Hawking & Leonard Mlodinow

Dec. 2010: Now thought to be over 11 miles wide!

Thinkpad Maniac
Freshman Member

Re: T60 has occasional problems starting

#2 Post by Thinkpad Maniac » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:21 pm

That's an odd problem. The first thing that comes to my mind is: are you sure the SSD isn't defective in some way? Did you try another SSD, or HDD? Did you install the OS from scratch? I.e. a clean install? Also can you run the Lenovo diagnostics program to test your hardware? Finally did you try booting and running a live Linux version e.g. puppy Linux and see if that gives you any problems? Usually you can resolve the problem by trying all of these different things and using the process of elimination to narrow down as to what the cause may be.

Muse

#3 Post by Muse » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:54 pm

Thinkpad Maniac wrote:That's an odd problem. The first thing that comes to my mind is: are you sure the SSD isn't defective in some way? Did you try another SSD, or HDD? Did you install the OS from scratch? I.e. a clean install? Also can you run the Lenovo diagnostics program to test your hardware? Finally did you try booting and running a live Linux version e.g. puppy Linux and see if that gives you any problems? Usually you can resolve the problem by trying all of these different things and using the process of elimination to narrow down as to what the cause may be.
1. I had the same problem before I installed the SSD. The machine came with a 60 GB Hard Disk Drive, 5400rpm [Toshiba MK6034GSX]. Three years ago (March 2014), I installed an Intel 330 180GB SSD. The problem continued, as explained, it's always been sporadic and I have no idea why or when it will happen. I was quite happy after installing Windows 10 (the free upgrade from Windows 7, done as a clean install), because I always had very serious issues with delays, as much as 5 minutes that happened virtually every day, often multiple times a day when running Windows 7 on the SSD. Moving to Windows 10 eliminated that horrible problem, but the infrequent unpredictable hangs when restarting the machine continued.

2. The OSs were always installed from scratch. The original OS was XP, as preinstalled on the machine. Vista was just about to be introduced when I bought the machine in Nov. 2006 and when I purchased, I was granted the right to a free installation of Vista when it came out, although I was to pay for shipping, etc. I never took advantage of that offer (by the time I tried to get it, the offer had expired) and stuck with XP until I bought Windows 7 32bit Home. The problem continued as before.

3. I didn't know about the Lenovo Diagnostics program to test the hardware. That's available from their website?

4. I've never run Linux. I could try, but it wouldn't be very useful to me other than as a diagnostic tool in some fashion. I run some software that will only run on Windows, software that's crucial to my needs. The problem is very sporadic, it maybe happens a couple times a year, so running Linux might not do much for diagnostic purposes.
"If a star were a grain of salt, you could fit all the stars visible to the naked eye on a teaspoon, but all the stars in the universe would fill a ball eight miles wide." - A Briefer History of Time, Stephen Hawking & Leonard Mlodinow

Thinkpad Maniac
Freshman Member

#4 Post by Thinkpad Maniac » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:11 pm

I think the Lenovo diagnostics program was called the Lenovo Toolbox (prior to that it was PC-Doctor), it was available on OEM OS installations, but also as drivers available from the Lenovo website. Unfortunately Lenovo discontinued this and it is no longer available from their website, however you may still find these drivers floating around on the internet. They will work in Windows 7, I'm not sure if they will work in Windows 10. I believe Lenovo introduced a new diagnostics program available for download but I forget what it's called now.

Anyway if the problem is that sporadic it could be a software problem, perhaps you keep installing some program that intermittently gives Windows problems? (Perhaps you are making new partitions?). Does the problem occur if you don't install any additional or "exotic" software in addition to the OS, drivers, adobe, word, etc? Could it be a virus problem? If it is a hardware problem and it's not the HDD, or CPU, then it must (more or less) be the motherboard, but it doesn't seem like it based on the symptoms you noted. Live Linux does not require installation, it runs live from a USB drive or CD-Drive in the RAM of the computer, it's useful for diagnostic purposes when the problem is serious and prevents booting into Windows, etc.

Muse

#5 Post by Muse » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:40 am

Thinkpad Maniac wrote:I think the Lenovo diagnostics program was called the Lenovo Toolbox (prior to that it was PC-Doctor), it was available on OEM OS installations, but also as drivers available from the Lenovo website. Unfortunately Lenovo discontinued this and it is no longer available from their website, however you may still find these drivers floating around on the internet. They will work in Windows 7, I'm not sure if they will work in Windows 10. I believe Lenovo introduced a new diagnostics program available for download but I forget what it's called now.

Anyway if the problem is that sporadic it could be a software problem, perhaps you keep installing some program that intermittently gives Windows problems? (Perhaps you are making new partitions?). Does the problem occur if you don't install any additional or "exotic" software in addition to the OS, drivers, adobe, word, etc? Could it be a virus problem? If it is a hardware problem and it's not the HDD, or CPU, then it must (more or less) be the motherboard, but it doesn't seem like it based on the symptoms you noted. Live Linux does not require installation, it runs live from a USB drive or CD-Drive in the RAM of the computer, it's useful for diagnostic purposes when the problem is serious and prevents booting into Windows, etc.
I'm downloading what appears to be the one and only installation file for this, linux-bootable-cd-41308857.ISO. The instructions are pretty dang complicated for producing a bootable flash drive with it and incredibly simple to create a bootable CD. I figure I'll opt for the latter. :wink: The instructions and download links (they have at least 3 links on the page to download what appears to be different versions, but they are all the same 378MB file. The page is https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/leno ... tablediags.

I don't understand what you're saying about discontinued drivers pertaining to this. I suppose a question is if this thing will work on my Windows 10 Home 32bit system.

I do have a lot of programs installed. I don't use Word, I may have had it installed previously (before Windows 10). I have Open Office installed right now. I use Foxit Reader, not Adobe Acrobat. I use Microsoft Visual Foxpro 9.0 extensively. That shouldn't be implicated in a problem like this. I have the SSD in two (visible) partitions, an OS_apps C: partition and a D: data partition. There are also the two hidden partitions, one for Lenovo's recovery and the other is Windows own service partition, it's all standard.

Muse

#6 Post by Muse » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:54 am

I ran Lenovo Diagnostics tests on the machine. Everything passed except for a FAILED on the read/compare test on the external optical drive. 2nd time I ran that it PASSED.

I think I should/will run Memtest+ for at least 8 passes. Don't know what else to try.

dr_st
Admin
Admin

#7 Post by dr_st » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:24 am

Most likely - a component on your motherboard is dying.
Thinkpad 25 (20K7), T490 (20N3), Yoga 14 (20FY), T430s (IPS FHD + Classic Keyboard), X220 4291-4BG
X61 7673-V2V, T60 2007-QPG, T42 2373-F7G, X32 (IPS Screen), A31p w/ Ultrabay Numpad

Thinkpad Maniac
Freshman Member

#8 Post by Thinkpad Maniac » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:55 pm

I find it odd that you installed the OS from scratch i.e. a clean disc with no partitions or one partition yet the disc you say has 4 partitions? Anyway I believe it may either be a software problem with perhaps certain drivers causing problems, or perhaps a virus. The other remote possibility is a problem with the part of the motherboard that connects to the hard drive, which could possibly cause some of the errors you've noted, another remote possibility would be some problem with the power. Finally if it's not any of the above it may be the motherboard (perhaps that's the most likely culprit). I suggest you make a bootable linux live CD with perhaps puppy linux, or use a program like UNETbootin to create a bootable linux USB, it is extremely easy. I'm not sure what difficulty you've encountered.

The next time this problem occurs and you're unable to boot into Windows, use the Puppy Linux or whatever version of live linux that you're using and boot into that. If the laptop has no problem booting into live linux, you most likely have a software problem, or some problem with the hard drive connector, if instead you cannot boot into linux (assuming you're doing it correctly) then you most definitely do have a hardware problem and the motherboard is malfunctioning in some way. I think that may be the best way of identifying the problem that you have. Hope that helps.

Muse

#9 Post by Muse » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:23 am

So, I ran memtest+ over the last day, 10 passes, zero errors. I then (1/2 hour ago), hit ESC out of memtest+ to boot the machine and it again hangs at the Windows logo screen (this surprised me because the handful of times I booted the machine after Windows Update finally succeeded this week didn't hang), instead of the left part of the not-spinning semi-circle I get a few dots of it, not much difference, but a little different. In any case it's an unresonsive hung machine and I hold down the power button a few seconds to turn it off and then hit it to start it and this time it does start "normally."
- -
OK, to speak to these ideas.

Something wrong with the motherboard. I certainly think that a possibility.

The disk (Intel 330 180GB SSD) has 4 partitions: The first is the ~100MB service partition that newer versions of Windows install by default. The second is the Windows partition itself. The third is a recovery partition, I suppose the one that Lenovo created. Preumably I can restore from it and it would give me the XP install I had initially. The fourth is the D: data partition that I created.

Software problem, well possibly. If a program I routinely have installed is the culprit, but I don't see how that could prevent the machine from booting Windows at that point in the proceedings, although for all I know services are being set up at that point, I don't know. Yes, a driver. I plan to install the Zender 2.27 no-whitelist SLIC2.1 BIOS on the machine very soon, maybe today. After doing that I will swap out the original wifi card for an Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 WLAN 802.11A/B/G/N Wireless Card 62205ANHMW. Maybe that sequence will somehow stop the problem.

Right now I have this machine in an IBM/Lenovo model 2504 minidock. In the past I've found that at least a time or two, removing the machine from the minidock coincided with the problem resolving. However, the prolonged sequence of failed attempts to boot the machine that led to my posting this thread this week, I removed the machine from the minidock and there appeared to be no difference. I am using AC power, the battery is not attached and in general I do not have the battery involved (it's in the refrigerator, partially charged).

I guess I will experiment with the Linux Live boot scenario if flashing the BIOS and swapping the wifi card don't prevent the problem from happening again. Working on this problem is difficult -- it's one of those problems that's sporadic, relatively infrequent and AFAIK I cannot reproduce it, have no idea what makes it happen, although I've had an idea for a long time that it has to do with Windows Updates not being digested properly, perhaps not true.

When I was running XP, IIRC, I could sometimes try to boot in other than normal mode and the screen would display all the scores of drivers, components, etc. that were being processed in the boot sequence before a hang would occur. It would stop at mup.sys. I just did a Google search on mup.sys and there are a bunch of hits on hangs from mup.sys. I don't know if my current problem is related to that, but the symptoms are very similar except that I can't see what's going on behind the screen I see. This week I wasn't offered troubleshooting options such as booting in Safe Mode, going back to a restore point, booting with a command prompt... things I used to see when I had this problem. I only got some of that stuff when I booted from a Windows 10 install disk.

If I decide that it is the motherboard, is it possible to replace that? Actually, I'm watching an auction on Ebay right now (ending in less than 4 hours) for a 14" T400.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#10 Post by RealBlackStuff » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:44 am

It would not hang on mups.sys, it's the NEXT driver AFTER mups.sys that is causing the problem.
That next driver is NOT shown on screen, but could be found in the dumps that are created upon failing.

Check BIOS/Config/SATA and try changing AHCI to Compatibility or v.v.

What happens if you remove HD/CD/wifi/modem/battery/dock and any USB things?
If boot OK, put in modem first (or leave it out altogether, who needs it nowadays?), then try to boot to go into BIOS, then switch off.
Add wifi, repeat the above.
Add CD, try to boot from a Life Linux CD, how does that go?
Remove CD, try another HD with working OS, can you boot from that?
Finally, put the old HD back in, when you boot fresh, immediately hit F8 a number of times, to get to Safe Mode and other boot-options.
Any luck there?

Muse

#11 Post by Muse » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:40 pm

RealBlackStuff wrote:It would not hang on mups.sys, it's the NEXT driver AFTER mups.sys that is causing the problem.
That next driver is NOT shown on screen, but could be found in the dumps that are created upon failing.

Check BIOS/Config/SATA and try changing AHCI to Compatibility or v.v.

What happens if you remove HD/CD/wifi/modem/battery/dock and any USB things?
If boot OK, put in modem first (or leave it out altogether, who needs it nowadays?), then try to boot to go into BIOS, then switch off.
Add wifi, repeat the above.
Add CD, try to boot from a Life Linux CD, how does that go?
Remove CD, try another HD with working OS, can you boot from that?
Finally, put the old HD back in, when you boot fresh, immediately hit F8 a number of times, to get to Safe Mode and other boot-options.
Any luck there?
I will have to look at this again later. Thing is, I rarely reboot, partly because of my trepidation that instead of a successful boot I will find myself in this situation where it won't boot, no matter how many times I try until it does boot! So, I just put it to sleep unless I have a reason to reboot. That could be just having some issue(s) that I think might be remedied with a reboot. And, of course, with Windows 10 you never know when the OS will just reboot on its own, Microsoft has commandeered the the Update process.

Thanks for the ideas, I'm bookmarking this thread and will return to it, assuming that I need to. I still hope that flashing Zender's 2.27 BIOS in combination with replacing the wifi card will eliminate the hangs. Seems possible.

KingBubba

#12 Post by KingBubba » Fri May 12, 2017 1:15 am

I just posted a thread describing exactly what you are experiencing. Your issue is for sure in the laptop not the windows or the hard drives. I wiped, formatted and installed Win 7 on two used drives and one brand new drive. They all hung at the same place yours does. I now have the drives in other t60s and they are performing perfectly. I ran Memtest in all memory used and they all passed. It is not a memory issue. It is in the t60, This has been driving me nuts. The other thing I get is the computer will suddenly go into sleep with no prompting to do so. It cycles through this for many number of times. The only way out is to do a hard restart and then sometimes it hangs on that same spot in the startup. Today I felt like I was going insane with the three drives and the memory swaps. I wish I could help you.
Here is my thread:

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=123790

Muse

#13 Post by Muse » Sun May 14, 2017 10:30 am

I just posted a thread describing exactly what you are experiencing. Your issue is for sure in the laptop not the windows or the hard drives. I wiped, formatted and installed Win 7 on two used drives and one brand new drive. They all hung at the same place yours does. I now have the drives in other t60s and they are performing perfectly. I ran Memtest in all memory used and they all passed. It is not a memory issue. It is in the t60, This has been driving me nuts. The other thing I get is the computer will suddenly go into sleep with no prompting to do so. It cycles through this for many number of times. The only way out is to do a hard restart and then sometimes it hangs on that same spot in the startup. Today I felt like I was going insane with the three drives and the memory swaps. I wish I could help you.
Here is my thread:

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=123790
Yes, having experienced this for years and years again and again and tried everything... EVERYTHING I could think of to sort this out and stop it from happening, I have to agree with you 100% that it's the laptop, not the HD, SSD, RAM, OS. I have ruled out all of those, having switched them all.

This happened again this week when Windows 10 insisted on rebooting after one of it's you-can't-escape-this automatic updates. A few manual turn-off/turn-on cycles that took something like 20 minutes the machine succeeded on booting to Windows. Had to reboot again, that it succeeded in booting without the issue coming up (hang at the usual place with 1/2 the spinning icon showing and NOT spinning, come hell or high water it will sit there, even if it's saying "preparing to fix Windows" or whatever that phrase is).

Just what the issue really is, I don't know, but it has something to do with the machine, not storage, RAM or OS.

I will now check out your thread.

Edit: Scanned your thread. Decided to amend this post instead of posting there... for now. I have a number of times thought to myself that there is a way to overcome this issue ... i.e. buy a different machine!!! :eek:

Edit2: There is, however, one more idea I have, another thing to try:

I'm going to install a whitelist-removed Zender 2.27 BIOS and swap out the original wifi card and see if that resolves the problem. I have an Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 WLAN 802.11A/B/G/N Wireless Card ready for the purpose. The original wifi card is the "ThinkPad 11a/b/g Wi-Fi wireless LAN Mini-PCIe."

Swapping out the wifi card in my T61 seems to have resolved the occasional BSODs I was getting in Windows 10 on that machine.

Muse

#14 Post by Muse » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:18 am

Well, I swapped out the original wifi card on this machine with another. That has pretty much solved the slow reconnection to wifi when waking the machine.

Replaced this -- ThinkPad 11a/b/g Wi-Fi wireless LAN Mini-PCIe
The replacement -- Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 WLAN 802.11A/B/G/N Wireless Card

I had to install a no-whitelist BIOS to achieve this.

It's been around a week, a few reboots have occurred. So far, no hangs during the boot process. Fingers crossed.

thinkpadcollection

#15 Post by thinkpadcollection » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:40 am

1. Replace that CPU for T7200 (better performance wise)

2. Replace the memory. This could be your intermittent defect, Not too expensive from ebay. Chinese and other sellers sells matched pair 4GB (2x2GB) made by elpida, micron, hynix and samsung.

3. If things keeps happening it is the motherboard.

Cheers, thinkpadcollection

geka3250
Freshman Member

#16 Post by geka3250 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:33 am

Same problem with T60p. Rarely it hangs right after the Windows boot logo appears.
Config:
-Intel Core Duo T2600 2.16GHz
-PC2-5300 3GB
-ATI FireGL v5200
-15" FlexView 1600x1200
-Intel WiFi Link 5300 AGN
-Seagate 160GB HDD
-Genuine 6cell and Ultrabay batteries
Running WIN7 and latest modded BIOS. AHCI mode selected for SATA.
To boot normally I have to start Thinkpad on battery or remove-insert battery.
340CSE | 380XD | 770 | 770X | 770Z | 390E | 600E | 600X | T23 | X30 | T30 | T41p | T43 | T60p | X200t

Muse

#17 Post by Muse » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:22 pm

geka3250 wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:33 am
Same problem with T60p. Rarely it hangs right after the Windows boot logo appears.
Config:
-Intel Core Duo T2600 2.16GHz
-PC2-5300 3GB
-ATI FireGL v5200
-15" FlexView 1600x1200
-Intel WiFi Link 5300 AGN
-Seagate 160GB HDD
-Genuine 6cell and Ultrabay batteries
Running WIN7 and latest modded BIOS. AHCI mode selected for SATA.
To boot normally I have to start Thinkpad on battery or remove-insert battery.
OP reporting. Don't know that it won't happen again but it has not happened a single time since I replaced the original (since Dec. 2006) wifi card [ ThinkPad 11a/b/g Wi-Fi wireless LAN Mini-PCIe ] with an Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 WLAN 802.11A/B/G/N Wireless Card. I installed a whitelist removing BIOS that enabled the switch. Did this in early June as noted a few posts back. So far so good.

Edit: Dec. 13, 2017, still not a single difficulty starting since swapping out the original wifi card supplied by Lenovo when I bought the machine from them eleven years ago. Flashing the no whitelist BIOS and installing the Intel card was the best upgrade I ever made on the machine! Kudos to whoever created that BIOS!
Last edited by Muse on Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

geka3250
Freshman Member

#18 Post by geka3250 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:37 am

Muse,
Thanks! My current 5300 link at 300mbps without any issues. But if problem became worse I'll try switch to Advanced-N 6200
340CSE | 380XD | 770 | 770X | 770Z | 390E | 600E | 600X | T23 | X30 | T30 | T41p | T43 | T60p | X200t

Raidriar
Freshman Member

#19 Post by Raidriar » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:28 pm

I would check your chipset and SMBus drivers, that can cause all sorts of havoc if they are not updated/correct.
Thinkpads: 760XD, 600E, T23, T30, T43p, T61p
Alienwares: M17x R1, M17x R2, M18x R1, M18x R2, Alienware 18
Razers: Razer Blade Pro 2017 FHD

geka3250
Freshman Member

#20 Post by geka3250 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:42 am

Problem becomes annoying today!
Strange BSOD and blinking WLAN LED when downloading files total size of 10GB at 95mbps via WiFi:
Couldn't start my T60p after this, same boot hang at logo.
So I switched WiFi Link 5300 to Advanced-N 6200. Going to test system stability

geka3250
Freshman Member

#21 Post by geka3250 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:39 pm

Reporting. Intel 6200 did not help. Selected safe mode, laptop hangs at CLASSPNP.SYS

dr_st
Admin
Admin

#22 Post by dr_st » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:17 am

Faulty RAM or board.
Thinkpad 25 (20K7), T490 (20N3), Yoga 14 (20FY), T430s (IPS FHD + Classic Keyboard), X220 4291-4BG
X61 7673-V2V, T60 2007-QPG, T42 2373-F7G, X32 (IPS Screen), A31p w/ Ultrabay Numpad

geka3250
Freshman Member

#23 Post by geka3250 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:51 am

Run Windows Memory Diagnostic without problems.

geka3250
Freshman Member

#24 Post by geka3250 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:08 pm

Reporting. Replaced broken structure frame 21 Oct, from that time machine working great. Don't know what happened, but problem gone.

geka3250
Freshman Member

#25 Post by geka3250 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:37 am

Boot problem is back again.
I found switching "quick boot" to "diagnostics boot" in BIOS setup solves the problem. But it takes more time to POST.

JGTC.co.jp

#26 Post by JGTC.co.jp » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:52 am

My 0.02c here...

For preventing Windows 8/8.1/10 from messing up your boot, disable Fast Startup in Power Options.

For wireless cards, make sure you have several of them to test. T60/p machines are real picky when a no-whitelist BIOS is in place. Few recommendations: Lenovo's WiFi-Link 5100 and RTL8191(SE?), HP Broadcom 4311... Maybe others, but I think the guys have this piece already sorted.

For anything else, according to what others have said, check and (if available) replace your planar.
--
JGTC.co.jp

The one that started it all: T60 1952-B68 (In plans of a rebuild)

Personal ones: T60 2007-46S - T60p 8741-A11 - R52 1860-A73 - 600E 2645-5JU - T540p 20BF-S02S01