Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

*X1 Carbon gen1 - 3444 [B8U] - motherboard replaced - white screen - POSTs - USB?!!!

X1 / X1-Carbon (X1C) / X1-Extreme (X1E) Series/Generations
teanza

*X1 Carbon gen1 - 3444 [B8U] - motherboard replaced - white screen - POSTs - USB?!!!

#1 Post by teanza » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:54 pm

Hey everyone! :)

I've spent some grand time researching my problem, and have found 100s of forum and related posts; however, am unclear, confused, and pretty desperate.

Story:
  • infamous DC power jack/port broke
  • shorted the motherboard via one more "wiggle" attempt before replacing port (successfully); no lights, charge - just dead
  • ordered & replaced correct motherboard (successfully [i5-3427u, 4GB, etc.])
  • immediately powered up with and without AC charge, but to black screen
  • tried every attempt to get into BIOS; white screen appeared remains, and POSTs (I guess) in several beep combos; they vary/are inconsistent
  • learned I probably need to boot manually via downloading something onto a USB due to new system board serial #, etc.
  • this is now beyond my knowledge and while I've read *countless* articles on related instances, I've found no clear instructions on what to do
  • I've another laptop for the next ~2 days, so am able to download whatever I need onto whatever I need
  • I've never booted from a USB and it is impossible to have anything onScreen other than white
  • I've tried the CMOS reset (yellow coin battery attached via cable), and any other power up/down/shift/delete/F-anything/battery combos in/out/it goes well on ..... ; just assuming I need to boot via a way I am completely unfamiliar with, and will be unequivocally appreciative to anyone that can assist me! I am running WIN7 on the machine, yet it came with WIN8, if that matters at all
Highly anticipate anyone's help that I will repay, at a minimum, with unmatched typed gratitude and enthusiasm.

I should be able to reply to any questions to this post near-immediately!

Thanks so much everyone :D

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: *X1 Carbon gen1 - 3444 [B8U] - motherboard replaced - white screen - POSTs - USB?!!!

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:13 pm

Welcome to the Forum.

Sounds to me like a poorly connected LCD to mobo.
A new motherboard immediately needs date/time, hence the beeps.
Keep the wifi card and SSD out until you get a picture.
Have you tried an external monitor?

To put MTM and S/N back in you'll need the HMD program on a USB stick.
Hunt for i7tm38us.exe

PS: if you had to buy a new mobo, why didn't you get an 8GB RAM version?
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)
Lenovo: X240, X250, T440p, T480, M900 Tiny.

PS: the old Boardroom website is still available on the Wayback Machine

teanza

Re: *X1 Carbon gen1 - 3444 [B8U] - motherboard replaced - white screen - POSTs - USB?!!!

#3 Post by teanza » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:34 am

RealBlackStuff - omg .. THANK you! :)

I don't believe any other MB would just pop in?! Attempted research with that; opted for the OG for a *seamless* install - ha! :o

I've reattached the LCD several times :(

I have not tried to remove the SSD/WiFi since install, nor an external monitor (don't have in location ATM). Should I remove the 2 components and attempt reboot, or is that just for safety protocol?

Can you by chance lead me -amateurly- through booting with the USB?! I am admittedly+apologetically naive :/ although, I have just downloaded i7tm38us.exe - THANK YOU so much for that! I researched this as *the way* to achieve the new date/time without BIOS screen - yet I hope I am actually correct in determination?!

Thanks 100x :D

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#4 Post by RealBlackStuff » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:06 pm

Any of the 57(!) different motherboards (or planars as they are called there) on the fru_bom list fits.
You only need to check that you get a W7 or W8 mobo, and 4GB or 8GB.

If you removed/attached the LCD cable with the powersupply connected, you may have blown a fuse.
Check F2 and F6 that should be near the LCD-cable connector.

I would at least remove the SSD until your LCD works.

You can only boot via USB if it is allowed in the BIOS.
For the HMD to work properly, you need to set USB-HD in BIOS as the first boot-drive.
Then cold-boot with HMD inserted and press Esc immediately when the Lenovo screen appears.

But the above is all moot until you get your screen going.

teanza

#5 Post by teanza » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:30 am

Hellllo my [pending] savior(s)!

-well, I believe I checked all of the tiny fuses thoroughly (although none marked F2 or F6 :( )

-white screen remains, and should have mentioned before that i can adjust the screen brightness

-I can get the screen to go black with CTRL+ALT+DEL, and back to white with ESC, etc. Also with this I can get a consistent 2 short beeps, which I read can mean it doesn't recognize MB serial #, but of course cannot confirm

I have the .exe on a USB stick, and here is a pic: https://ibb.co/ezOUgk , should it have any value?!

Highest regards, desperation, + thanks! :)

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#6 Post by RealBlackStuff » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:32 am

Remove bluetooth module, wifi card and check that angled USB-cable in the top left battery bay.
Looks like at one time (or recently) you have put the battery ON TOP of the cable, instead of under it.
That could cause a short.
I'm not seeing a CMOS-battery.
Also, on the picture your lid-cable (above the fan) is not in straight!
Correct that (with power disconnected).

teanza

#7 Post by teanza » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:59 am

Hiiiiiii there!

I finally got a chance to check on your kind suggestions!

Sadly, it's exhibiting the same behavior. I'd removed + plugged the CMOS + battery multiple times in this "endeavor". One/both out/in ...turned on/off via adapter only, etc. x~100! Ack. That angled USB cable was under the battery since I've owned it, I suppose. Anyway, I replugged all cables / corrected all mentioned :(

I have the USB loaded, but unfortunately don't know how to attempt using it in hopes of [finally] starting the machine!

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#8 Post by RealBlackStuff » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:19 am

You won't need that USB stick to set date/time.
For that you need access to your BIOS by pressing F1 at bootup.
But if you can't see anything on your screen, that is moot as well.
Borrow an external monitor to check if anything is still going there.
Also, have you tried to use the Reset button?
http://www.resettoo.com/wp-content/uplo ... button.jpg

teanza

#9 Post by teanza » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:52 am

I've pressed F1 (& everything else .. ) ...just get any combo of beeps! :(

Reset button also 100+x, with it on/off, tapping, holding, etc. Ahh!

CTRL+ALT+DEL works by switching the white screen to black; ESC turns it back. And the brightness buttons work.

So it seems the screen, buttons, etc. all "work", just err'ing seemingly because it's mad @my new motherboard.

Assuming external monitor and all other failed methods don't work, I've researched ways to get in when BIOS is determined inaccessible, and all I've found it booting through the stick. I'm 99.99% sure I unfortunately cannot access BIOS through any conventional or creative avenues :(

Your help has been enlightening, thoughtful, thorough, and *****appreciated***** beyond typing!

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#10 Post by RealBlackStuff » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:04 pm

Need to check some more fuses:
F4: white SMD to the right of text F4, under the DC-plug on the mobo-picture
F3: turn mobo over, carefully and slowly pull off black cover-tape under that DC-plug corner to see F3 right above the fuse.

You can ONLY get into BIOS by pressing F1 at bootup.

And you really need to borrow an external monitor, OR
get a Mini DisplayPort-Male-to-VGA-Female cable like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/263001214031 OR
get a Mini DisplayPort-Male-to-HDMI-Female cable adapter like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/201588017909 plus
a male-HDMI-to-male-HDMI cable like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/281885928240 (or in Bestbuy/Radioshack etc.)
to hook it up to a TV.

teanza

#11 Post by teanza » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:17 am

HELLOOOOO! :o :D :D :D

Was traveling [with a borrowed Mac :| .. ]; greatest apologies for the delay!

I obtained the MiniDP ---> VGA connector and hookedUp the external monitor; situation unchanged, +which doesn't mirror to the monitor (stays black/"no VGA").

Unless I am considerably err'ing in practice, all mentioned + other fuses are OK.

I might give-up on this project now, and rejoice at my tiny victory of diagnosing + changing a system board :lol: :cry:

Will report back after I seek local assistance so that your GREATLY appreciated efforts can meet a conclusion!

Thanks, about 100x! :)

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#12 Post by RealBlackStuff » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:19 pm

Check your Private messages up top.