Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Thinkpad T440s: Trackpoint / Touchpad not working after system board replacement

T430-T490, T530-T590 Series
koenvg

Thinkpad T440s: Trackpoint / Touchpad not working after system board replacement

#1 Post by koenvg » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:10 am

Hi!

Recently the system board of my T440s broke down, so I ordered another T440s for parts from Ebay. After I replace the motherboard however, the trackpoint and the touchpad down work anymore! They are not listed under "libinput --list-devices" or "lspci", and totally non-responsive.

Here comes the weird part: after I replace the keyboard (backlit) with the keyboard from the second T440s I got for parts (non-backlit), both suddenly work again! However, the down-arrow key on the non-backlit keyboard doesn't work, and I'd really like to the use the backlit keyboard. I double and triple checked that all the cables were properly plugged in.

Any suggestions? How can I make the trackpoint and touchpad work with the new system board but original keyboard?

Thanks in advance for the help!

P.S. For what it's worth I also ordered a touchpad from the T450s to replace mine with, but it hasn't arrived yet. Don't know if that'll make any difference.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Thinkpad T440s: Trackpoint / Touchpad not working after system board replacement

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:17 am

Maybe the new mobo has a different BIOS version (or settings) from the old one?
No idea how to check/update drivers under Linux.

You can buy complete individual keys for those keyboards: https://www.ebay.com/itm/311166412454
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)
Lenovo: X240, X250, T440p, T480, M900 Tiny.

PS: the old Boardroom website is still available on the Wayback Machine

koenvg

Re: Thinkpad T440s: Trackpoint / Touchpad not working after system board replacement

#3 Post by koenvg » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:06 am

Thanks for the reply! Could be a different BIOS version, I wouldn't be able to check. However, I checked to make sure the trackpoint and trackpad are enable in the BIOS settings. Pretty sure this is not a driver issue, I'm using the exact same disk and operating system as before the mobo replacement, and this stuff is usually automatic anyway.

I'll look into trying to fix the one key of the keyboard, but unfortunately it's not that the keycap is missing: even though it looks completely fine, it just never registers keypresses.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#4 Post by RealBlackStuff » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:22 am

The replacement key includes cap, hinge(s) and cup/dome.
The latter might be the problem in your KB.

koenvg

#5 Post by koenvg » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:07 pm

I see, that's worth a try. But does anyone have any idea how I could try my original (backlit) keyboard to work with the new mobo?

koenvg

#6 Post by koenvg » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:27 pm

For anyone interested: my issues are now resolved; it turns out that a broken trackpad cable was the root of all the trouble. Now that I replaced it, everything works.