Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Error Message on My T41

T40/T41/T42/T43 Series
Callahan
Sophomore Member

Error Message on My T41

#1 Post by Callahan » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:48 pm

This week this error message started happening after two beeps. I have searched on Google and can't find the 'exact' answer to my screen message.

This is exactly what is displayed:

Error
Resource Conflict - PCI Network Controller on Motherboard
Bus: 02, Device: 01, Function: 00

I found some searches with Bus: 01 or Device: 02 ... Any ideas, machine has worked just great since I got it in 2010.

I found some information that the Hard Drive might need to be replaced ... I have a Samsung HD and I downloaded the Samsung HUTIL v2.10 (ISO) to check it out but the CD won't start with the error message popping up.

geka3250
Freshman Member

Re: Error Message on My T41

#2 Post by geka3250 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:20 pm

Does it appear with WiFi card removed from the laptop?
Had similar error message on R51 due to WLAN connector pins corrosion. Cleaning it with needle and alcohol solved the problem.
340CSE | 380XD | 770 | 770X | 770Z | 390E | 600E | 600X | T23 | X30 | T30 | T41p | T43 | T60p | X200t

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

#3 Post by ajkula66 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:01 pm

What happens when you press ESC once the message appears?
...Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules...(King Crimson)

Cheers,

George (your grouchy retired FlexView farmer)

One FlexView to rule them all: A31p

Abused daily: T520, X200s

PMs requesting personal tech support will be ignored.

Callahan
Sophomore Member

#4 Post by Callahan » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:38 am

Well, the computer seemed to be working OK but finally the problem showed up again. I have some strange stuff happening. I will go into detail after I answer the two earlier posts from geka3250 and ajkula66.

geka3250 ... I noticed quite a bit of talk in my Google search about the WiFi card not working or somehow involved with the problem ... however, those codes or whatever the proper name is for the Bus and Device manager were different.

For example, my error message is:

but all the reports in Google seem to mention a Slot number and a different Bus number and sometimes a different Device number. I never get a Slot number. I have not gone into the computer to look at the card or anything.

ajkula66 ... today when I pressed the Escape button, the computer started right up ... but then after a few restarts on my part, I finally got the Phoenix Bios check screen.

There is a System Ram check which is 'Passed' and then an Extended Ram check which is also 'Passed'. Then there are several very fast checks ... too fast for me to write anything down and then the computer completely boots up OK.

Now there is something I noticed just now (the last hour) ... I am now wondering if my CD/DVD burner has gone bad. It is set to be checked first when I start the computer. The Start order is CD/DVD then the IDE Samsung hard drive.

Yesterday in my Google search for this problem, I notice some suggestions that the IDE hard drive could be going bad and that whatever make of hard drive a person has ... they should download the manufacturer's hard drive check program.
I decided to do that since this hard drive was bought new but has had much everyday use since 2010. It is a Samsung drive so I downloaded the Samsung Drive Diagnostic Utility (Hutil) 2.10 ISO from MajorGeeks.

I burned the ISO download to a CD ... all went well, the process completed OK but there is no ISO or anything on the CD ... it is blank. I did it a second time (another blank CD) and again nothing on the CD. I always had success with an ISO image burn.

So now I am wondering since the CD/DVD is set to be checked first before the IDE hard drive and if the CD/DVD has gone bad, is this my problem? I have burned a lot of CDs and DVDs with this burner ... thousands. I have no idea how long a burner can last, the laser and such. It spins OK and the little lights are lit on the right side.

Anything to this ? Thanks geka3250 and ajkula66 for the earlier replies.

Callahan

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#5 Post by RealBlackStuff » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:34 am

Take the CD drive out and see if the T41 starts then without error.
For only a few dollar you get another drive.
Those things can last 1 day, or 1 month, or 10 years, potluck I'd say.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)
Lenovo: X240, X250, T440p, T480, M900 Tiny.

PS: the old Boardroom website is still available on the Wayback Machine

dr_st
Admin
Admin

#6 Post by dr_st » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:06 am

Callahan wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:38 am
geka3250 ... I noticed quite a bit of talk in my Google search about the WiFi card not working or somehow involved with the problem ... however, those codes or whatever the proper name is for the Bus and Device manager were different.

For example, my error message is:

but all the reports in Google seem to mention a Slot number and a different Bus number and sometimes a different Device number. I never get a Slot number. I have not gone into the computer to look at the card or anything.
Slot number is the same as Function number. It doesn't matter that the numbers are different - they depend on how the devices are physically connected and how they are enumerated by the BIOS. The fact that it mentions 'PCI Network Controller' suggests that it's either the LAN or the WLAN. Try disabling each one in turn from the BIOS and see if the problem goes away.
Thinkpad 25 (20K7), T490 (20N3), Yoga 14 (20FY), T430s (IPS FHD + Classic Keyboard), X220 4291-4BG
X61 7673-V2V, T60 2007-QPG, T42 2373-F7G, X32 (IPS Screen), A31p w/ Ultrabay Numpad

Callahan
Sophomore Member

#7 Post by Callahan » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:28 am

OK ... thanks RealBlackStuff and dr_st for the information. I will try removing the DVD burner first. I do have a spare burner put away that I bought new maybe six years ago. Hope that will be the solution ... I will just remove the old burner and see if the computer starts correctly and then install the new burner. I need to get that Samsung ISO Drive Utility burned to a CD anyway.

If that doesn't seem to fix the problem then I will do what you suggested dr_st . It may be awhile, a few hours or so till I return.

Callahan

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#8 Post by RealBlackStuff » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:58 am

Time to get Rufus to put that stuff on a reusable USB-stick instead of a throw-away CD.

Callahan
Sophomore Member

#9 Post by Callahan » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:07 am

Taking out the DVD burner didn't solve anything ... the computer is still showing the Error message.

dr_st ... I could not find anything in the BIOS related to LAN or WLAN ... I looked all through the BIOS for those two terms. The only thing that I saw was in the Boot Priority Order ... PCI LAN but I have never had it picked to be in the Boot Order List, just the CD/DVD burner and the IDE Samaung hard drive.

I will check Rufus out ... I downloaded it to work with. Not familiar with it, looks good though.

Callahan

jaspen-meyer

#10 Post by jaspen-meyer » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:29 pm

Callahan wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:28 am
OK ... thanks RealBlackStuff and dr_st for the information. I will try removing the DVD burner first. I do have a spare burner put away that I bought new maybe six years ago. Hope that will be the solution ... I will just remove the old burner and see if the computer starts correctly and then install the new burner. I need to get that Samsung ISO Drive Utility burned to a CD anyway.

If that doesn't seem to fix the problem then I will do what you suggested dr_st . It may be awhile, a few hours or so till I return.

Callahan
The "T41 Hardware Maintaince Manual" says 'Device address conflict. == 1. Load Setup Defaults” in the BIOS Setup Utility.
2. Backup battery.
3. System board.

Personally, I would take off the keyboard and remove the wifi card (step by step instructions available in the T41 Hardware Maintaince Manual).
Reassemble and see what happens. Also, I'd inspect the card with a magnifying glass and look for corrosion.

Also, like dr_st, I would disable the LAN and WIFI from within BIOS.
Hit F1 during start up to get into Bios
Config > Network > Internal Network Device (disable)
Config > Network > Internal Wireless Device (disable)

If the wifi is to blame, let us know; many of us have, literally, stacks of wifi cards for that exact machine.
T420 i7 3612QM seabios; T420 i7 3630QM; T400 Q9100 seabios; T61 P9600; T60 libreboot; x62; x60s libreboot, led; x24 xiphmont led

Callahan
Sophomore Member

#11 Post by Callahan » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:11 pm

jaspen-meyer ... just read your post. I will go into the computer maybe tomorrow or shortly ... geka3250 also mentioned about possible corosion. The computer did not have internal WiFi when I bought it in 2010. I read that some T41s shipped that way when made. I bought a Netgear PCMCIA Card in 2010 and a few years ago I decided to put a WiFi card inside the notebook.

The backup battery was replaced a few years ago but it might be going. The date and time are accurate so far.

I will return ... thanks.

Callahan
Sophomore Member

#12 Post by Callahan » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:54 pm

Ok ... I decided to take the computer apart after I last posted. The WiFi card appeared good ... no corrosion or powder on the contacts that was visible. I brushed everything with an old clean toothbrush that I keep in my computer toolbox. Then I carefully used my portable sweeper and a new small paintbrush to clean out any dust or particles that might have been knocked off by the toothbrush.

However, as to going into the BIOS ... that is a different story, as you showed me what to look for. I disabled both:

Config > Network > Internal Network Device (disable)
Config > Network > Internal Wireless Device (disable)

... and the computer started right up, no beeps and no Error. I did a couple of restarts and no problems ... no Error.

I went back into the BIOS and 'enabled' the Internal Network Device only and the computer did not start ... had the beeps and Error notice. I went back into the BIOS and 'disabled' the Internal Network Device and had no problem starting the computer.

I then went back into the BIOS and 'enabled' the Internal Wireless Device only ... with the Internal Network Device still 'disabled' and the computer starts up just fine ... no Error.

So it seems to be the Internal Network Device causing the problem. I will wait to hear more about this.

Thanks again for the help and information.

Callahan

dr_st
Admin
Admin

#13 Post by dr_st » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:30 am

Your analysis is correct. Unfortunately, since on these systems, the LAN is integrated into the system board, you may be unable to resolve this issue without replacing the board. However, if you are OK with using just WiFi for connectivity, you can just run with the LAN disabled in the BIOS.
Thinkpad 25 (20K7), T490 (20N3), Yoga 14 (20FY), T430s (IPS FHD + Classic Keyboard), X220 4291-4BG
X61 7673-V2V, T60 2007-QPG, T42 2373-F7G, X32 (IPS Screen), A31p w/ Ultrabay Numpad

Callahan
Sophomore Member

#14 Post by Callahan » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:39 am

dr_st ... I was just going to post another reply to ask some followup questions. Everything is running fine ... no beeps or Error readings. I see you answered some of my questions. Yes, I only use the WiFi connection so it will be OK.

In reading your post ... then something happened internally to the motherboard. Well, the solution works and I can only hope nothing else will get messed up inside. I have two other ThinkPads ... two T42 machines. Just wondering if I should do the same procedure to them also ... disable the 'Internal Network Device' since I have no need for it to be enabled at this time.

With it being 'disabled' or off, this might prolong the life of the LAN ... until I might need it one day but probably wouldn't have any need ever for it. It's the WiFi connection that has more importance to me.

Thanks for the help and information.

... as an 'off topic' question ... I now know several members here have ThinkPad parts for sale. I didn't know this when I first joined the TP forum last Nov ... the exact date Nov 25, 2016. I needed some help replacing a fan in this same computer last November.

My question is along with some members having computer parts for sale ... does anyone here actually work on or fix ThinkPad computers? Just thought it would be good to know this. I don't plan on replacing the motherboard on this computer as I can live with the "fix" ... everything working fine. However, should the motherboard need to be replaced in the future ... I'm not sure I could do that myself.

I found this instruction on the internet: IBM ThinkPad T41 Motherboard Replacement

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/IBM+ThinkP ... ement/2919

It says it ... Time Required - 30 - 35 minutes to do the job ... After lookng at all the steps ... I see that as 'several days' if not more, keeping track of all the screws, cables and steps ... and then a person has to 'backtrack' to get back to square one. Oh, well ...

Callahan

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#15 Post by RealBlackStuff » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:25 am

Callahan wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:39 am
It says it ... Time Required - 30 - 35 minutes to do the job ... After looking at all the steps ... I see that as 'several days' if not more, keeping track of all the screws, cables and steps ... and then a person has to 'backtrack' to get back to square one.
1) That color-coding should be a hint to keep separate containers for each 'color' screws... Problem solved.
2) Or print that picture and tape the screws on their respective locations.
3) Or draw a picture of the screw locations and continue with 2)
4) Or sent it to me after reading this: http://theboardroom.info/stock1.html

Callahan
Sophomore Member

#16 Post by Callahan » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:50 am

RBS ... thanks for the information, just spent some time at the website. Much to check out there.

Callahan

kfzhu1229
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#17 Post by kfzhu1229 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:15 pm

Check the official HMM manual provided in the HMM archive of this website. That thing is more detailed. Also you are talking about the short fan, right?
Hint: if you wanna replace the fan, if you see that picture in ifixit, you do NOT need to remove:
Red screws on the top (keyboard bezel for 14.1" do not need to be removed for heatsink replacement)
Orange screws (for removing supporting frames/cages)
Pink screw in the middle (for removing supporting frames/cages)
The two green screws at the bottom (those are for speakers) and the green one at the right most position
Dell Lat CP MMX-233 64mb 40gb W2k
600 PII-266 416mb 40gb WXP
T23 PIII 1.13ghz 1gb W7
Precision M4300 X9000 8gb 160gb WUXGA Ultrasharp fp W10
T530i 15.6" i7 16gb fp W10
UXGA:
A30p PIII 1.2 1gb W7 (IDTech)
T43p 2.26 2gb fp W10 (Sharp)
Lat C840 P4-2.5 2gb 60gb W7 (Ultrasharp)

jaspen-meyer

#18 Post by jaspen-meyer » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:26 pm

kfzhu1229 wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:15 pm
Check the official HMM manual provided in the HMM archive of this website. That thing is more detailed. Also you are talking about the short fan, right?
Stay on track. He is not talking about a fan. He was asking whether anyone is able to help him fix his computer, if he should need help.
T420 i7 3612QM seabios; T420 i7 3630QM; T400 Q9100 seabios; T61 P9600; T60 libreboot; x62; x60s libreboot, led; x24 xiphmont led

kfzhu1229
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#19 Post by kfzhu1229 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:32 pm

Oh my bad. Anyways, keeping track of the screws in T4x machines isn't hard at all. This isn't made by Apple. There are only so many types of screw used inside here and each of them are clearly labeled in the HMM.
It is also a terrible idea, in my opinion, to remove all screws at once because things just fall apart unpredictably and you will just get more lost in that way.
Dell Lat CP MMX-233 64mb 40gb W2k
600 PII-266 416mb 40gb WXP
T23 PIII 1.13ghz 1gb W7
Precision M4300 X9000 8gb 160gb WUXGA Ultrasharp fp W10
T530i 15.6" i7 16gb fp W10
UXGA:
A30p PIII 1.2 1gb W7 (IDTech)
T43p 2.26 2gb fp W10 (Sharp)
Lat C840 P4-2.5 2gb 60gb W7 (Ultrasharp)