Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Problem Powering On

T60/T61 series specific matters only
taichi

Problem Powering On

#1 Post by taichi » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:58 pm

I'm having a problem with my trusty T60P. In the last couple of weeks the computer won't turn on unless I unplug and reinsert the power supply from the AC socket, or alternatively unplug the power cord from the back. Before I do so, and before I try turning the computer on, the usual two LED lights on the top panel are on. As soon as I pushed the power button, everything goes off.

The problem seems to be happening more frequently, and this morning it was a struggle to get the computer on. Trying to troubleshoot the external power supply, I have a couple of external power supplies from other ThinkPad (A21P and T40), but both of them indicate 16 V. The one on my T60P says 20 V. Are these 16 V power supplies usable?

taichi

Re: Problem Powering On

#2 Post by taichi » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:54 pm

I'm amazed that no one else on this forum has encountered this problem.

At any rate, does anyone know who is the OEM for the AC Power Supply/Charger for the T60P? I'm going to troubleshoot this problem by getting a new AC power supply, and Amazon has a number of third party charger made for this unit. If one of these Chinese vendors is the OEM, I'd feel more confident in buying one at a good price, rather than spending 30 bucks for an experiment.

Alternatively, is anyone using a reliable 3rd Party AC power adapter from Amazon with their T60P?

taichi

#3 Post by taichi » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:47 pm

In my lonely troubleshooting effort I tested my AC Adapter with a voltmeter (though I'm not capable of testing with a full load) and the voltage output is the normal 20V.

Would anybody know if running the following older BIOS on my Win7 T60P might be a possible cause of my problem?

79ETE5WW (2.25)

geka3250
Freshman Member

#4 Post by geka3250 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:56 pm

taichi,
Bad capacitors in AC adapter may cause voltage drops at load, while at idle voltage can be good.
Do you have a working battery? Do you have any problems booting Thinkpad at battery?
What the problem to flash modded 2.27 BIOS with SLIC2.1 and no whitelist?
340CSE | 380XD | 770 | 770X | 770Z | 390E | 600E | 600X | T23 | X30 | T30 | T41p | T43 | T60p | X200t

taichi

#5 Post by taichi » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:18 pm

Thanks for your response. It's been pretty lonely on this thread.

I considered that the non load test wasn't definitive, which is why I mentioned it. That's great info. My adapter never gets hot, just warm, bit I realize that is not definitive of anything.

I haven't used a battery in my laptop for awhile. On that note, do you know of any reputable, third party batteries?

I haven't updated the BIOS because of many stories of PCs bricked during BIOS updates. The last time I did a BIOS update I tool it to a technician, and, weirdly, he encountered a glitch of some kind, but he sorted it out. Do you think the BIOS could be the culprit? In the meantime, I disabled power management in BIOS on my last start up.

geka3250
Freshman Member

#6 Post by geka3250 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:36 pm

I suggest you to find a battery and give it a try. If problem doesn't appear on battery it can be AC adapter/Power Connector/Charger circuit failure.
You can try third party batteries, not bad choice, but lifetime of these China batteries is about 3 years. Also you can find used genuine batteries with low wear level for the same price.
As for AC adapters I don't recommend buying third party - small weight, bad caps, heat problems and wires braking all the time. Look for used genuine 20V 90W adapter. Beware of High Copy junk!
About BIOS I think it can't cause boot problem at early system initialization. But if you decide to flash it - with working battery, AC adapter plugged in and bootable CD BIOS image you are good to go.
340CSE | 380XD | 770 | 770X | 770Z | 390E | 600E | 600X | T23 | X30 | T30 | T41p | T43 | T60p | X200t

taichi

#7 Post by taichi » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:30 pm

Because of the fact that I have an old BIOS, and because of sleep/hibernation issues on some Thinkpads, many running Win 7, I disabled power management in the BIOS, and all yesterday the T60P started witout a hitchm which was a clear improvement.
I started the vomputer ten or eleven times normally.

This morning the problem returned, but I think there is some clue in this.

Regarding batteries, there have been recalls of Lenovo batteries, which caught fire as with some other manufacturers, so I wouldn't say manufacturer batteries are perfect.

taichi

#8 Post by taichi » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:52 pm

It's funny that the two recent things that I tried seen to have ameliorated the problem but not solved it. Shutting off power management seem to get rid of the problem for a day, but it returned the next morning. Discovering that USB was first in the startup boot order led me to place it further down, with my hard drive as the first in the book list. Once again everything seemed to be fine, but the next morning the problem returned.

The one thing I discovered this morning is that the power socket on the back of my T60P is somewhat loose. Is it possible that by unplugging at the AC outlet (UPS) or at the ThinkPad' s socket sends a little jolt of current that compensates for the loose socket loose socket? Is the loose socket fixable, or is it an unfixable part of the motherboard?

RealBlackStuff
Admin
Admin

#9 Post by RealBlackStuff » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:35 pm

Why not read the HMM?

taichi

#10 Post by taichi » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:20 pm

I don't know what HMM is. Is it a monitoring protocol of some sort?

Cigarguy
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#11 Post by Cigarguy » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:23 pm

taichi

#12 Post by taichi » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:14 pm

Still trying to solve this, I noticed that when plugging the DC power cord into the back of the Thinkpad that the connection between the jack and the socket is not 100% firm, but has a little looseness or wobble. Is this normal?

taichi

#13 Post by taichi » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:33 am

Here's another entry in this quiescent thread.

One of my persistent ideas in troubleshooting this is that there is something going on with sleep/hibernation. It accordance with this I simplified everything in power options, making sure that the T60P never goes to sleep or hibernate. When that didn't quite work, I went into bios and shut down power management. Interestingly, each of these attempts seem to have a temporary effect.

Yesterday I found out that sleep/hybrid hibernation is buggy in Windows 7. So I used a Microsoft fix to shut that down within the administrative CMD window. After I did that the laptop started normally all day.

This morning, the problem returned, requiring an unplug replug of the power jack. So the one consistent thing about this problem is that when the laptop is off overnight something happens...possibly something loses charge or drains when the laptop is off for several hours.

taichi

#14 Post by taichi » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:39 pm

Maybe this is a clue to some wise reader of posts.

In the morning when the laptop won't start, unplugging the power ac adapter jack from the back of the T60P and plugging back in allows the laptop to work when pressing the power button. However disconnecting the ac adapter's power cord from the AC outlet and re-plugging does not work.

Somthing wrong with the"
power socket on the laptop?
the power cord from the ac adapter to the laptop?
the ac adpter's output to the laptop?

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

#15 Post by ajkula66 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:48 pm

taichi wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:33 am

This morning, the problem returned, requiring an unplug replug of the power jack. So the one consistent thing about this problem is that when the laptop is off overnight something happens...
You still don't have a battery installed, correct?
taichi wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:39 pm

In the morning when the laptop won't start, unplugging the power ac adapter jack from the back of the T60P and plugging back in allows the laptop to work when pressing the power button.
Power socket could be a culprit but it could also be a sign of a motherboard getting tired...
...Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules...(King Crimson)

Cheers,

George (your grouchy retired FlexView farmer)

AARP club members:A31p, T42, T43pSF

Abused daily: T61p

PMs requesting personal tech support will be ignored.

JBUK
Sophomore Member

#16 Post by JBUK » Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:55 am

If this were mine I would do the following before deciding to replace the motherboard.
1. Try another power supply, any make or age would do just to use for diagnosis.
2. Fit another power connector

Both are usually available on eBay. In the meantime your replugging routine seems to work.
Where to begin......
390e x1 390X 390X,700mhz
1 x T20 + about 8 untested for spares
4 X T23 + 6 breaking for parts
1 X T23 with Samsung 840 SSD and XP Great combination !

AND NOW....3 X T60s and 3 x T61s

thinkpadcollection

#17 Post by thinkpadcollection » Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:30 pm

I was working on reviving the Compaq CQ60 by upgrading bios after installing 7 on it and then swap out CPUs. This in order to upgrade it from 2.1GHz athlon to turion x2 gen 2 socket 2.4GHz with higher hyperport freq and at same time helps to speed up memory from 667MHz to 800MHz DDR2, this proves to know the specs of different processors! Does affect the video performance as well for better experience. Did checked for this details with CPU-Z also. By the way I tested 8GB DDR2 800 operation and does work too. Ordered yet another heatsink from ebay again better one this time! This is one with a hook and 2 screws to hold fan housing in place not the 3 screw type of either types. This to replace the worn out and poorly made heatsink because of some excessive solder in the cooling fins (!!) was from ebay, yet again.

Advice for anyone after my experience:

Try different pair of memory modules, move usb stick to different usb ports, it is true that happened, even different power adapter, was finally isolated to one bad power adapter since this notebook has dead battery made it more sensitive than other HP computers of all types (ultra slim and notebooks experienced screen brightness minor stutters) that share same power jacks (19.5V). Thinkpads of this vintage has swappable power jack that also plugs into motherboard, get new one from ebay actually they are not fakes to let you know. This requires partial disassembly to get motherboard with metal cage out of plastic shell because one screw for holding power jack in place by metal cage is accessed from under.

Cheers, thinkpadcollection

taichi

#18 Post by taichi » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:44 pm

It's the power adapter. A neighbor had the adapter, and while he's on vacation I've used it for three days, with normal start up every time.

I put an ad in the Marketplace for a new one.