Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

W10 occasional problems going to sleep / hibernating

Windows 1x on Thinkpads
wujstefan
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

W10 occasional problems going to sleep / hibernating

#1 Post by wujstefan » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:15 am

I've got a T70 lately and cant really figure out whether its an OS or hardware problem.

I THINK it's OS since W10 is still very fussy system. NVMe + Kaby Lake gives me no other choise amond M$ tho :)

About 1/5 times when trying to put my system into sleep it simply does not. Turns off the display, fan spinning, nothing happens, the system is doing nothing and "hangs" in there.
Pretty much the same is true for hibernate.

Not when the system is ~idle, but, say, when under load. I stress my system much (MUCH, I don't see the point of buying 7th gen i7 for solitaire), and time to time need to put it into sleep with couple of apps open and running.

Has anybody faced such thing?
Too many thinkpads not enough time!
(stable under reduction)

dr_st
Admin
Admin

Re: W10 occasional problems going to sleep / hibernating

#2 Post by dr_st » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:30 am

Win10 is not a very fussy system at all.

Power management issues are always a combined OS + driver + hardware + firmware thing. Given that you are using a T70 which is a custom-built system, with only God knows what level of QC, I would suspect that first.

It sounds like you might have a hardware driver bug. Next this happens - let the system idle for ~15 minutes. If it crashes with a BSOD and turns off / resets, you should have a dump file to investigate.
Last edited by dr_st on Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thinkpad 25 (20K7), T490 (20N3), Yoga 14 (20FY), T430s (IPS FHD + Classic Keyboard), X220 4291-4BG
X61 7673-V2V, T60 2007-QPG, T42 2373-F7G, X32 (IPS Screen), A31p w/ Ultrabay Numpad

wujstefan
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#3 Post by wujstefan » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:41 am

Nope, most of times it sleeps and hibernates just fine.

The thing is, when it does not, there's no BSODs or any other failure notices. It just keeps spinning the fan until there's no battery left or until I keep pressing on/off button couple of seconds so I've got no output from the system what actually went wrong. I've googled this problem a bit, and it seemed windows-related since more people are facing that.

Pushing the system into BSOD when hibernating may be a good idea to check, but any hint of how to do this?
(stable under reduction)

dr_st
Admin
Admin

#4 Post by dr_st » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:18 am

wujstefan wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:41 am
It just keeps spinning the fan until there's no battery left or until I keep pressing on/off button couple of seconds so I've got no output from the system what actually went wrong.
I take it that you waited for more than 15 minutes? The reason I said 15, is because 10-15 minutes is usually the timeout of Bugcheck 9F (driver fails to complete a power state transition), and that's a very common cause of system that hangs when trying to enter sleep. When the timeout expires, the system will crash with a 0x9F BSOD. If you waited for more than 15 minutes and the system still has not crashed, it may be something else.

However, it may crash and not restart, so just to be safe, after you waited for about 20 minutes, and you turn it off forcefully - next time you boot up - check if there was a Windows\Memory.dmp file created, or whether there are any new files under Windows\Minidump.
wujstefan wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:41 am
I've googled this problem a bit, and it seemed windows-related since more people are facing that.
Everything is Windows-related. That does not mean it's a bug in Windows. Because as I said - working power management requires all components (OS, drivers, firmware, and hardware) to cooperate. Most of the time problems like this are firmware/driver bugs, very rarely it's in a bug in core Windows code.

As a rule of thumb - keep in mind that when you google anything related to power management bugs, you are likely to find 99% garbage, and (if you are lucky), 1% accurate, useful information. Sifting it through the junk is typically far from easy.
Thinkpad 25 (20K7), T490 (20N3), Yoga 14 (20FY), T430s (IPS FHD + Classic Keyboard), X220 4291-4BG
X61 7673-V2V, T60 2007-QPG, T42 2373-F7G, X32 (IPS Screen), A31p w/ Ultrabay Numpad

wujstefan
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#5 Post by wujstefan » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:35 am

dr_st wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:18 am
I take it that you waited for more than 15 minutes? The reason I said 15, is because 10-15 minutes is usually the timeout of Bugcheck 9F (driver fails to complete a power state transition), and that's a very common cause of system that hangs when trying to enter sleep. When the timeout expires, the system will crash with a 0x9F BSOD. If you waited for more than 15 minutes and the system still has not crashed, it may be something else.
Sure did. It does not BSODs, at all. I'll try to force failure it when I'm back after work.
dr_st wrote:
However, it may crash and not restart, so just to be safe, after you waited for about 20 minutes, and you turn it off forcefully - next time you boot up - check if there was a Windows\Memory.dmp file created, or whether there are any new files under Windows\Minidump.
This is a good one, did not think about it.
dr_st wrote:
As a rule of thumb - keep in mind that when you google anything related to power management bugs, you are likely to find 99% garbage, and (if you are lucky), 1% accurate, useful information. Sifting it through the junk is typically far from easy.
That's why I've also asked in here :) Thanks, that's a big help, I'll try to force failure and check for dmp file. I think I'll also take a glimpse on how it behaves on different BIOS.
(stable under reduction)