Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

power socket vs power board repair/replacement?

Discuss the ThinkPad-branded Yoga
syrahnose
Freshman Member

power socket vs power board repair/replacement?

#1 Post by syrahnose » Sun May 20, 2018 8:59 am

My Yoga S1 has contradictory, intermittent power issues that I'm trying to chase down. Culprits are bad power bric/cord/plug or power socket on mother board or power board that feeds into power button/led on.

One day it blacked out and wouldn't restart to hard drive or windows stage. I did get an error code which I can't remember 5100 or 5500 poss?, that seemed to indicate the power board or ribbons to that needed replacement or re-attachment. So fiddled with it and it did fire up in windows all ok. Then ran out of power and died again.

power button wouldn't light up. plugging in power unit did light up led as getting charge. Left it overnight and then it miraculously charged up. pushed power button light up twice then nothing. took out power board/detached ribbon, then it fired up to windows, fixed some hd errors and has been restarting without problems.

Except now there is no plug showing on battery icon when plugged in. So not recharging but I'm sure the battery is good.

And logically, the power brick and plug must be feeding electricity into laptop to get it to recharge enough to start up. So power socket and plug may be suspect with intermittent contact problems. Or the power board somehow is involved in this?

I've ordered a new powerboard as easy screw in and cheap.

My question about powerboard is does this control ability of plug to charge battery?

power brick with new plug is next order from ebay.

but the power socket, which seems to be hard soldered to mother board looks more complicated fix.

Part is about $40 and might just be simple unsolder and resolder job. Has anyone done this or is it more complex than expected?

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: power socket vs power board repair/replacement?

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Sun May 20, 2018 9:36 am

If you need to replace the DC-socket, this is what you need: https://www.ebay.com/itm/302224709478
Looking at the other part of that unit, if those pins are soldered, yuck, good luck!

Rather than buying a whole charger, if you have older ones with barrel-plug, consider this: https://www.ebay.com/itm//311954364706
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)
Lenovo: X240, X250, T440p, T480, M900 Tiny.

PS: the old Boardroom website is still available on the Wayback Machine

syrahnose
Freshman Member

#3 Post by syrahnose » Sun May 20, 2018 12:32 pm

thanks for those links.

I was hoping that unit might just plug out and in without soldering. Has anyone done this operation and knows what's involved?

I was looking at that adapter plug from barrel to flat plug. I have an old adapter but its located in another country at the moment.

I do have a new C style brick for my current x1 yoga. I look for a similar adapter for that back compatible.

syrahnose
Freshman Member

#4 Post by syrahnose » Sun May 20, 2018 1:38 pm

I've just ordered a new powerbrick to see if that is the problem.

If you need to replace the DC-socket, this is what you need: https://www.ebay.com/itm/302224709478

Still hoping someone has already done this procedure and can say if its a simple plug in or needs more complicated soldering?