Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Driver help for T42 eunning windows 98

T40/T41/T42/T43 Series
mbguy

Driver help for T42 eunning windows 98

#1 Post by mbguy » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:17 pm

If there is anyone who can help with this I would appreciate it. I've been looking on a site for all the windows 98 thinkpad drives but they don't seem to work so I am not doing something right. The missing drivers on the IBM THinkpad A22m are 1) PCI Communication Device 2) PCI Ethernet Controller 3) PCI Multimedia Audio Controller 4) Unknown Device.

And the missing drivers on my IBM Thinkpad T42 are 1) PCI card 2) PCI Ethernet Controller 3) PCI Ethernet Controller (not sure whey there are 2 of these) 4) PCI Multimedia Audio Device 5) PCI System Management Bus 6) PCI Universal Serial Bus 7) Unknown Device

I've got most of the drivers I need but just need a bit of help. On the A22m I have all the drivers. I now installed a USB driver so I could use the USB port. It is the driver called nusb-320 and it works. It now reads a usb but it creates a new problem. There are now 2 drivers with yellow exclamation marks on them. they are both the same and called ACPI Battery. I need help with that one.

On the T42 I got most of the drivers. I don't have #1) PCI Card #3) PCI Ethernet Controller. I got the first one to work but can't get this second one. #6) PCI Universal Serial Bus. Same as above, got the driver installed but now have the double ACPI Battery twice with exclamation marks.

I did manage to find drivers on the Win98 CD for the PCI card, the PCI ethernet controller and the PCI universal serial bus. It was enough to take away the yellow exclamation mark but when starting the computer error messages say that these devices need to have their drivers fixed up so they do not really work.

So I need help again with the ACPI Battery on the T42 and A22m
And on the T42 the PCI card and the second ethernet controller
So 3 more to go if you can help.

I found this and followed the steps.
Since your CD-ROM drive is disabled by the Plug and Play BIOS during hardware detection, manually copy the Windows 98 cabinet (.cab) files from the Windows 98 CD-ROM to your hard disk. To do so, follow these steps:
Create a new folder on your hard disk (let's call it Win98cab)
Copy the contents of the Win98 folder on the Windows 98 CD-ROM to the Win98cab folder you created
Start the Registry Editor
Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \CurrentVersion \ Detect
In the right-hand pane right-click an empty space and choose New > DWORD Value
Name it ACPIOption, double-click it, and change the value to 1
Close the registry editor
Select Start > Settings > Control Panel, and then double-click Add New Hardware
Click Next, click Next again, click Yes (Recommended), and then click Next. ACPI should be detected and installed. After your computer is restarted, all ACPI-enumerated devices are set up again.

But there is stull an error. Clicking on the ACPI Battery exclamation mark item shows the error as "The NTKERN.VXD device loader(s) for this device could not load the device driver. (Code 2) ARGHH!! Stuck again.

mbguy

Re: Driver help for T42 eunning windows 98

#2 Post by mbguy » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:25 pm

Ok, I solved the ACPI Battery Problem. Now I just need drivers for the T42 for the PCI Card and the second PCI Ethernet Controller.
Thanks

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

#3 Post by ajkula66 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:34 pm

Welcome to the forum!
mbguy wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:25 pm
Now I just need drivers for the T42 for the PCI Card and the second PCI Ethernet Controller.
What is the 7-character model number printed on the sticker that also shows the serial and the production date on the bottom of the laptop ? It should be something like 237x-xxx

My best guess - without the MTM - is that your "second" Ethernet Controller is actually an Atheros-chipped IBM wireless card, since these have a tendency of identifying themselves as "ethernet controllers" unlike other wireless cards.
...Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules...(King Crimson)

Cheers,

George (your grouchy retired FlexView farmer)

One FlexView to rule them all: A31p

Abused daily: T520, X200s

PMs requesting personal tech support will be ignored.

mbguy

#4 Post by mbguy » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:58 pm

Bottom of the laptop says TYPE 2374-ZS5 and the S/N is L3-G3641. Thanks for replying. Sorry I don't know what MTM means. But should I try some wireless LAN drivers and see if I can get one to work?

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

#5 Post by ajkula66 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:56 pm

mbguy wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:58 pm
Sorry I don't know what MTM means. But should I try some wireless LAN drivers and see if I can get one to work?
MTM is the 7-digit code I was referring to, and your system looked like this when it left the factory
Based 2374-CTO: P M 745(1.8GHz), 512MB RAM, 40GB 4200rpm HDD, 14.1in 1024x768 LCD, 32MB ATI Radeon 7500, 24x24x24x/8x CD-RW/DVD, IBM 802.11abg wireless, Modem, 1Gb Ether, UltraNav, Sec Chip, 6 cell Li-Ion batt, WinXP Pro
So yes, that's an Atheros-based IBM wireless card in there. Scroll down to the appropriate card on this page and download the driver:

https://thinkpads.com/support/Thinkpad- ... m/T42.html

Good luck.

Cheers,

mbguy

#6 Post by mbguy » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:15 pm

Thanks for the post. I found that page earlier and tried all the wireless drivers on that page. None of them worked. I think a couple were only for 98SE which I don't have. I only have win98. Thanks very much, I'll keep looking. Let me know if you have anything else. Always appreciated.

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

#7 Post by ajkula66 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:23 pm

mbguy wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:15 pm
Thanks for the post. I found that page earlier and tried all the wireless drivers on that page. None of them worked. I think a couple were only for 98SE which I don't have. I only have win98. Thanks very much, I'll keep looking. Let me know if you have anything else. Always appreciated.
I haven't touched that OS in decades, but you might have to download the driver and then extract it from the folder. Driver installation for ThinkPads is usually a two-step process, especially in older OS environments.

The driver that *might* work for you is the second one from the bottom, once you make the page show only wireless drivers for all operating systems.

Good luck.

Cheers,

mbguy

#8 Post by mbguy » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:33 pm

Ok, I'll try that one. Yeah I have been loading the drivers and going into the C drive and trying to open them up, then manually from the System Properties page. I had lots of them and I'm down to the 2 left and just not having any luck. Thanks for your help though.

mbguy

#9 Post by mbguy » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:03 am

Ok, I found the PCI card driver so I am fighting to find this last one and having no luck. A PCI Ethernet Controller. It was the second one like that and had a few replies that it is probably someone wireless and I have tried as many as I could find. No luck yet.

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

#10 Post by ajkula66 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:06 am

Try getting the device's hardware ID from Device Manager, then look for driver. There might be an old link/mirror with the Atheros driver for W98 still out there.

Good luck.

Cheers,

mbguy

#11 Post by mbguy » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:39 am

Well after a horrible number of hours I figured out the PCI card and second PCI ethernet drivers. They were both aquired directly from the drivers within the windows 98 CD and were both some type of infrared device drivers. Now I've got them all and it works like a charm. Thanks for all the help.