Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

T440/p CLUNKPAD: Pics and installation of T450 Synaptics and Alps Touchpad+buttons Driver

T430-T490, T530-T590 Series
RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

T440/p CLUNKPAD: Pics and installation of T450 Synaptics and Alps Touchpad+buttons Driver

#1 Post by RealBlackStuff » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:34 pm

PLEASE NOTE:
BEFORE YOU PUT IN THE NEW TOUCHPAD, INSTALL SOME EXTRA BUMPERS/RUBBERS ALONG THE TOP OF THE LID, LEFT AND RIGHT OF THE WEBCAM.
THESE SHOULD BE ABOUT TWICE AS THICK/HIGH AS THE SMALL BUMPERS THAT ARE THERE ALREADY.
Recommended size ~WxH: ~6 x 2 mm or ~1/4 x 5/64 inch.
PLACE THEM IMMEDIATELY LEFT AND RIGHT OF THE EXISTING BUMPERS.
FAILURE TO DO SO WILL RESULT IN SCRATCH MARKS ON THE SCREEN FROM THE NEW BUTTONS!
Got my hands an a T440p with clunkpad and -more important- FHD IPS.
That clunkpad needs to go, I want the Trackpoint buttons!

Here are some pictures of the back of a T450/T550 Synaptics and Alps Touchpad + 3 buttons.

Comparing Synaptics (left) vs. Alps (right):

Notice the dotted (Syn) vs. the smooth (Alps) backplate.

Here's a link to more and larger of these pictures: https://imgur.com/a/z5TgiBI
In the larger pictures, please note the differences in the red/blue key insides!
I hope this will help you getting the right one for YOU.

BTW, looking at the touchpad/buttons themselves, I see no noticeable difference between Synaptics and Alps.

If you (for whatever reason) get an Alps, do not despair.
If you don't use the Touchpad and just want those 3 buttons for use with the Trackpoint, the Alps is more than good enough.
FYI: I described the ALPS install further down.

See similar instructions to replace the Clunkpad driver on the X240/s

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: T440/p CLUNKPAD: Pics and installation of T450 Synaptics and Alps Touchpad+buttons

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:21 am

How to install a T450 Synaptics touchpad+buttons driver in T440/T540 Series:

1. Download this W7/W8 Synaptics T450 driver from Lenovo, do not install yet!
==>> https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles/jbgc28ww.exe

2. Go to Control Panel\Programs and UNinstall your current Synaptics/Alps drivers

3. Reboot

4. Doubleclick the T450 driver you just downloaded, run it, but UNtick the option to install now.
--- It will unpack to C:\DRIVERS\Win\UNAV

5. Go to C:\DRIVERS\Win\UNAV\WinWDF\X64\SynPD.inf for 64-bit (or X86\SynPD.inf for 32-bit)

6. Edit SynPD.inf and
--- find and delete all lines with LEN0036 in it
--- find all lines with LEN200E and change LEN200E into LEN0036
--- save the file

LEN0036 is the T440/T540 hardware ID for both clunkpad and touchpad+buttons.
LEN200E is the T450 hardware ID for the touchpad+buttons.

7. Go to C:\DRIVERS\Win\UNAV and doubleclick on Setup.exe
--- when Windows complains about unsigned stuff, click on "install anyway".

8. Reboot and enjoy!

9. ONLY if you run W10: go protect these W10 drivers against Micro$haft updates overwriting your hard work!

See similar instructions to replace the Clunkpad driver on the X240/s

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: T440/p CLUNKPAD: Pics and installation of T450 Synaptics and Alps Touchpad+buttons

#3 Post by RealBlackStuff » Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:03 pm

How to install a T450-ALPS touchpad+buttons driver in T440/T540 Series:

1. Download this (Lenovo Yoga 14) ALPS driver: https://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/p ... gh09ww.exe, do not install yet!

2. Go to Control Panel\Programs and UNinstall your current Synaptics/Alps drivers

3. Reboot

4. Doubleclick the ALPS driver you just downloaded, run it, but UNtick the option to install now.
--- It will unpack to C:\DRIVERS\Win\ALPSUNAV

5. Go to C:\DRIVERS\Win\ALPSUNAV\Vi64\Apfiltr.inf for 64-bit (or Vi32\Apfiltr.inf for 32-bit)

6. Edit Apfiltr.inf
--- there are NO lines with LEN0036 in it, so we use another (not needed) LENxxxx one
--- instead, find all lines with LEN002D and change LEN002D into LEN0036
--- save the file

LEN0036 is the T440/T540 hardware ID for the clunkpad and touchpad+buttons.
LEN002D is an UNKNOWN TO ME hardware ID, but which is not needed here

7. Go to C:\DRIVERS\Win\ALPSUNAV and doubleclick on Setup.exe
--- when Windows complains about unsigned stuff, click on "install anyway".

8. Reboot and enjoy!

9. ONLY if you run W10: go protect these W10 drivers against Micro$haft updates overwriting your hard work!

AlexGonzo

#4 Post by AlexGonzo » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:15 pm

Just wanted to say thank you for this. I purchased a T440p over the weekend and a new trackpad but didn't know I purchased an Alps. Just one note to add: I was having difficulty installing the ALPS driver on windows. I kept running into installation failure so I turned digital signing off and that allowed me to install the drivers. Not sure if that helps anyone else, but it could save some people the headache of looking google for an answer.

Cheers,
Alex

Emulle

#5 Post by Emulle » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:30 pm

I would just like to share that I bought an Alps touchpad for my T440p, considering I could not find any Synaptics one in EU for a decent price <50£.
Under Linux(Arch Linux) it was a simple plug & play with libinput, everything works and there's no issue with two-finger scrolling nor palm rejection when writing/using the trackpoint.

All in all I'm satisfied! :D

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#6 Post by RealBlackStuff » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:31 am

And for people who insist they need W10, here's how you can stop Micro$haft from constantly "up/down"grading your drivers:
https://www.rizonesoft.com/disable-wind ... -policies/

If you have W10 Pro or Enterprise, there's this also:
viewtopic.php?f=73&t=128283

dr_st
Admin
Admin

#7 Post by dr_st » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:43 am

RealBlackStuff wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:31 am
And for people who insist they need W10, here's how you can stop Micro$haft from constantly "up/down"grading your drivers:
https://www.rizonesoft.com/disable-wind ... -policies/
That article does not mention anything specific about drivers, but it does mention a legitimate way to disable automatic updates in Windows 10 Professional. Another way is simply placing a REG_DWORD in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU\NoAutoUpdate with the value 1.

Sadly, neither method works for the unfortunate with Windows 10 Home.
Thinkpad 25 (20K7), T490 (20N3), Yoga 14 (20FY), T430s (IPS FHD + Classic Keyboard), X220 4291-4BG
X61 7673-V2V, T60 2007-QPG, T42 2373-F7G, X32 (IPS Screen), A31p w/ Ultrabay Numpad

Thinkpad4by3
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#8 Post by Thinkpad4by3 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:03 am

dr_st wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:43 am
Sadly, neither method works for the unfortunate with Windows 10 Home.
W10 home = Windows 10 Gullible Idiot edition
Thinkpad4by3's Law of the Universe.

The efficiency of two screens equally sized with equal numbers if pixels are equal. The time spent by a 4:3 user complaining about 16:9 is proportional to the inefficiency working with a 16:9 display, therefore the amount of useful work extracted is equal.

twsavant

#9 Post by twsavant » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:41 am

I did try two suggestions to keep my 3 button touchpad functionality upon restart. Now I need a fix to allow the middle button to work.

Derkach99
Freshman Member

#10 Post by Derkach99 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:12 pm

I just installed my SYN T450 touchpad and it's wonderful, however is was not without some driver troubles. I uninstalled the original driver then installed the windows 10 driver after I did the editing to the driver the install failed. This was due to driver signing I used powershell to disable driver signing (enabling driver testing mode) the other methods to disabling it requires more effort and if after a restart there is a problem you have to disable it again each time you restart, this way you just restart once and its disabled until you turn it back on despite a watermark at the bottom of your screen. Anyway after my first attempt the touchpad buttons would not work at all even though the buttons would somewhat work with drivers uninstalled. After several attempts over and over again I used the windows 8 driver offered on this thread and after editing and installing the first time it worked like a charm! After installing this driver I was able to install the windows 10 driver, after editing, and it installed and worked like a charm as well! One think I noticed is that the windows 8 driver installed drivers for a few devices whereas the windows 10 driver only touches on one device. In summation if you have windows 10 install and edit the windows 8 driver first then the windows 10 driver after editing of course. I also disabled windows 10 from installing updated for drivers in the future, I will also note I have Windows 10 Pro.

I now have the touchpad installed and IPS FHD screen, an SSD, a quad core I7 and coming soon a blacklit keyboard its not a bad machine coming from classic xx20 series thinkpads I also have a cheap X240 coming soon I am going to to this mod for as well but I hear there is double sided tape you have to fight with to hold the touch pad on, yuck!, there is no reason for that Lenovo! Anyways I may need to find some way to keep that touch pad attached when the time comes. I wish I could run windows 7 on these machines but it's support is ending soon :( Happy Thinkpading!
X60T, X61s, X61, T500, X201, X220, T420, W520, T420s, X220t, X230, T440p, X240

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#11 Post by RealBlackStuff » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:11 am

Just updated the above install instructions with this:
Stop W10 from automatically updating SPECIFIC drivers.

ujav

#12 Post by ujav » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:12 pm

Thank you for this thread, I had no idea I bought Alps, just was wondering why none of Synaptic drivers wasn't working, lol.
Well, it was working as a generic touchpad and buttons, just no control panel and settings.

I'm interested though, is there any way to distinguish them without disassembly, looking from the top?
T30(14" XGA, 12V car powered), A31p(UXGA IPS, 2nd HDD and battery), R50p(UXGA IPS), T43(IPS SXGA+, GPU desolder), T43p(UXGA IPS, dock, almost maxed out), T60(SXGA+ IPS) + second T60 IPS+dock and some mods, T61p, T520, T540p

rush242
Freshman Member

#13 Post by rush242 » Sat May 04, 2019 6:17 pm

Brilliant!

Thank you!
Lenovo FrankenPad T440: 1600 x 900 Screen, 2.10GHz Intel Core i7 4600U, 12GB (1x1), 256GB Samgsung SSD SATA-III 6Gb/s, some sort of Wireless, Windows 10 64-bit

rush242
Freshman Member

Re: T440/p CLUNKPAD: Pics and installation of T450 Synaptics and Alps Touchpad+buttons Driver

#14 Post by rush242 » Mon May 13, 2019 4:35 pm

Okay, I spoke too soon.

Installation of the Synaptics went fine, but I lost the little red "joystick" button control. D'oh! The touchpad buttons all work fine.

I followed the directions above, but when the drivers finished installing, there was a red "x" next to whatever the mouse install was: it failed.

I did block the LEN0036 drivers from updating, but what am I missing? Perhaps I cannot get to the proper settings to turn the joystick on and the touchpad finger pad off? If so, I cannot find them. I went to the Windows Store and tried to install SynMsiDApp, but it won't download, it fails. I also tried installing the the Synaptics Touchpad Someting Else from the Windows Store, but that fails, too.

In Device Manager > Mice and Other Pointing Devices > there is simply a generic PS/2 Compatible Mouse listed. Under System Devices > there is a Synaptics SMBus Driver listed. If I open mouse settings, there is NOT a Synaptics tab.

This is a T440 with Windows 10 Pro.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
Lenovo FrankenPad T440: 1600 x 900 Screen, 2.10GHz Intel Core i7 4600U, 12GB (1x1), 256GB Samgsung SSD SATA-III 6Gb/s, some sort of Wireless, Windows 10 64-bit

ad.astra.john

Re: T440/p CLUNKPAD: Pics and installation of T450 Synaptics and Alps Touchpad+buttons Driver

#15 Post by ad.astra.john » Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:24 pm

rush242 wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 4:35 pm
I followed the directions above, but when the drivers finished installing, there was a red "x" next to whatever the mouse install was: it failed.

I did block the LEN0036 drivers from updating, but what am I missing? Perhaps I cannot get to the proper settings to turn the joystick on and the touchpad finger pad off? If so, I cannot find them. I went to the Windows Store and tried to install SynMsiDApp, but it won't download, it fails. I also tried installing the the Synaptics Touchpad Someting Else from the Windows Store, but that fails, too.

In Device Manager > Mice and Other Pointing Devices > there is simply a generic PS/2 Compatible Mouse listed. Under System Devices > there is a Synaptics SMBus Driver listed. If I open mouse settings, there is NOT a Synaptics tab.
You probably already figured this out, but just in case it helps: for me, in Step #7 in the awesome directions in this thread (the step where you install the Synaptics driver manually), the Synaptics Install program ended with the same status message that you got -- that it had failed to install the Synaptics (SynTP) Mouse driver -- it had a red "x" next to that component (but had been successful in the other two items it installed). It didn't give me an option to override the unsigned driver, like it used to (?). To fix it, I had disable signed driver enforcement in Windows. To do that, I did the following (grabbed from https://ph.answers.acer.com/app/answers ... nforcement):

Click the Start Start menu and select Settings.
Click Update and Security.
Click on Recovery.
Click Restart now under Advanced Startup.
Click Troubleshoot.
Click Advanced options.
Click Startup Settings.
Click on Restart.
On the Startup Settings screen press 7 or F7 to disable driver signature enforcement.

After that, I reinstalled the Synaptics driver (by clicking on the Setup.exe file in the C:/DRIVERS/WIN/UltraNav directory), and I get the Synaptics Mouse control panel, and all seems to be working. I wonder if Windows 10 now handles unsigned drivers differently; I didn't get a warning about installing an unsigned driver until I had rebooted Windows in that Troubleshooting mode, with signed driver enforcement turned off. (In case it helps, I'm running Windows 10, Version 1903.)

Hope this helps!! Thanks again to all of you for the care in the directions on this page.

thelash
Freshman Member

#16 Post by thelash » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:52 pm

Looking forward to applying this knowledge to my T440p; a t450 palmrest with trackpad is in transit as I write. I have a question - can I use the t450's trackpad cable for the conversion? I saw a youtube video where the guy connected the new trackpad to the existing clunkpad cable, saying that the T450 one was not suitable. Is he correct? Thanks.
As an aside - since buying this unit, I see how apt the term clunkpad is. My wife, who is no techie and not at all interested in my growing thinkpad addiction, asked about the clunk noise she heard as I began using the T440p. After 3 weeks ownership, it's high time the clunk was killed off...
T430 ips, T440p.

DucatiThumper

#17 Post by DucatiThumper » Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:48 am

I think the clunkpad is the last thing I will change on my T440p, very low on the priority list. I don't find it that bad especially with tap to click enabled on Windows and Linux.

thelash
Freshman Member

Re: T440/p CLUNKPAD: Got a Synaptics Knock off installed....

#18 Post by thelash » Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:41 am

My T450 palmrest with track pad arrived today. The palmrest looked pretty used with faded decals but the trackpad seemed better. From the link to pictures you provided here - https://imgur.com/a/z5TgiBI - my one looks most like the one at the bottom you describe as either an Alps crap pad or a synaptics knock off. Never bothered to look at those pics today, and just assumed that I had the Alps. Bugger. (I also had assumed that a used T450 palmrest would have a synaptics in it. Wrong, or maybe not?). Funny thing was, I fitted the 450 track pad, and before doing any of the driver stuff, I appeared to have full 3 button function including middle click to open browser tabs, but not middle button scroll. Also had some touchpad function - no clicks or two finger scrolling. All this with the latest win10 ultranav driver I had been using with the clunkpad. Anyway, I then downloaded and edited the alps file as required and installed as instructed. Oops, nothing working. Lost all the functions - buttons and track pad. So uninstalled the alps driver and went back to the original win 10 drivers I had before all this. And it all pretty much works. Looking at device manager, it says I have the Synaptics Pointing Device installed, and I'm also using tpmiddle, without which I don't have middle click to open tabs. I've never used middle click scroll so don't miss it, and there's a few other little things not functional, but basically I'm happy because most of what I use is working, and I haven't had to edit any drivers.
So I'm assuming I have a synaptics knock off, and I'm bemused at the driver situation. Mainly I'm just thrilled that my T440p feels like a thinkpad again...
It's bedtime here downunder; tomorrow I might try the synaptics driver install above and see what I get...
T430 ips, T440p.

thelash
Freshman Member

#19 Post by thelash » Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:36 am

Hi again RealBlackStuff. Stayed up after all... Installed the T450 driver as per your instructions and did the group policy edit thing. Seem to have all functionality back now - great, thanks very much. I used the win7&8 driver despite being on Win10. May install the win10 driver sometime as Derkach99 did, but don't really need to. Obviously I have a synaptics knock off, but it has a good feel and goes great.
Thanks RBS and others for all the great work on this issue.
T430 ips, T440p.

fmanning

#20 Post by fmanning » Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:43 pm

ad.astra.john wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:24 pm
rush242 wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 4:35 pm

You probably already figured this out, but just in case it helps: for me, in Step #7 in the awesome directions in this thread (the step where you install the Synaptics driver manually), the Synaptics Install program ended with the same status message that you got -- that it had failed to install the Synaptics (SynTP) Mouse driver -- it had a red "x" next to that component (but had been successful in the other two items it installed). It didn't give me an option to override the unsigned driver, like it used to (?). To fix it, I had disable signed driver enforcement in Windows. To do that, I did the following (grabbed from https://ph.answers.acer.com/app/answers ... nforcement):

Click the Start Start menu and select Settings.
Click Update and Security.
Click on Recovery.
Click Restart now under Advanced Startup.
Click Troubleshoot.
Click Advanced options.
Click Startup Settings.
Click on Restart.
On the Startup Settings screen press 7 or F7 to disable driver signature enforcement.

After that, I reinstalled the Synaptics driver (by clicking on the Setup.exe file in the C:/DRIVERS/WIN/UltraNav directory), and I get the Synaptics Mouse control panel, and all seems to be working. I wonder if Windows 10 now handles unsigned drivers differently; I didn't get a warning about installing an unsigned driver until I had rebooted Windows in that Troubleshooting mode, with signed driver enforcement turned off. (In case it helps, I'm running Windows 10, Version 1903.)

Hope this helps!! Thanks again to all of you for the care in the directions on this page.

So I'm new to the ThinkPad brotherhood. Just this week I picked up my first ThinkPad. Purchased a T440 i5-4300 @ 1.9GHz. Currently only the 4gb soldered on RAM but already ordered my 8gb Crucial Ram to install. Looking to install a backlit keyboard yet and change out to an FHD IPS 1080 screen. I just completed the 450 trackpad install and after following all the information on this forum it is almost there. I have the touchpad working, gestures working, but I still do not have the trackpoint buttons working yet. Looked in my settings and don't see anything I need to change. What am I doing wrong?

fmanning

#21 Post by fmanning » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:57 pm

Just tried downloading another driver that I seen was working for this issue and still no luck. The driver I tried was UltraNav n10gx25w. That is giving me the same results. Pinch to zoom +/- working. 2 finger scrolling working. Taps working. Trackpoint working. I just do not have the 3 buttons for the trackpoint working.

In settings "mouse properties" it is showing the correct trackpad with the 3 buttons. Enable trackpoint is checked. Enable touchpad is checked.

Is it possible that I received a faulty trackpad? Ordered off Amazon. Eathtek brand which reading other forums stated it was the best one of the aftermarkets available. Laptop works the way it is but I really want it to work the way that it is intended to work.

Any and all help, suggestions, advice is greatly appreciated. This is my 1st ThinkPad but I've done a lot of research on them and they are bulletproof and serviceable at the same time which is why I went ahead and purchased one and want it to be as good as everyone else's ThinkPad that's out there. Thanks for the help

ujav

#22 Post by ujav » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:25 pm

fmanning wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:57 pm
Is it possible that I received a faulty trackpad? Ordered off Amazon. Eathtek brand which reading other forums stated it was the best one of the aftermarkets available. Laptop works the way it is but I really want it to work the way that it is intended to work.
That's strange, because at least left and right buttons should work with any generic driver. Have you tried to check bios settings too?
T30(14" XGA, 12V car powered), A31p(UXGA IPS, 2nd HDD and battery), R50p(UXGA IPS), T43(IPS SXGA+, GPU desolder), T43p(UXGA IPS, dock, almost maxed out), T60(SXGA+ IPS) + second T60 IPS+dock and some mods, T61p, T520, T540p

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#23 Post by RealBlackStuff » Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:15 am

Eathtek is used for the El-Cheapo E-models, like E450.
(notice they can't even spell Earth...)
Their quality is sub-par, to put it mildly.
You are the first one I have heard of that uses this knock-off lookalike in a T440 model.
I can only suggest to replace it with a proper Synaptics pad like this: https://www.amazon.com/Original-Touchpa ... 076JF393L/
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)
Lenovo: X240, X250, T440p, T480, M900 Tiny.

PS: the old Boardroom website is still available on the Wayback Machine

fmanning

#24 Post by fmanning » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:30 pm

@ujav - I went into BIOS and checked and in the mouse settings touchpad is enabled.

@RealBlackStuff - I may have to go that route and try another supplier for the touchpad. I reached out to Eathek seeing if they will send a replacement for the current one that I have. I just find it odd that pinch to zoom +/- works, two finger swipe up/down left/right works, 1/2 finger taps work but not the buttons. I even went back into SynPD.inf to make sure that I changed and deleted all the LEN0036 and changed LEN200E to LEN0036. In the end I should have 3 LEN0036 right? I think I'm also going to go ahead and just order the Synaptics touchpad that you recommended to me. I'm out of town for the rest of the week so it'll be there by the time I get home this way. I already have the driver installed so I'll just have to open up the computer again to switch out the touchpad again, but I have to anyways as my new RAM and internal battery just arrived and have to install them anyways. I'll keep you posted once I get home and try another touchpad. Appreciate the responses ujav & RealBlackStuff!

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#25 Post by RealBlackStuff » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:24 am

RBS wrote:PLEASE NOTE:
BEFORE YOU PUT IN THE NEW TOUCHPAD, INSTALL SOME EXTRA BUMPERS/RUBBERS ALONG THE TOP OF THE LID, LEFT AND RIGHT OF THE WEBCAM.
THESE SHOULD BE ABOUT TWICE AS THICK/HIGH AS THE SMALL BUMPERS THAT ARE THERE ALREADY.
PLACE THEM IMMEDIATELY LEFT AND RIGHT OF THE EXISTING BUMPERS.
FAILURE TO DO SO WILL RESULT IN SCRATCH MARKS ON THE SCREEN FROM THE NEW BUTTONS!

ujav

#26 Post by ujav » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:03 am

And which touchpad model could cause this? My Alps buttons are certainly not that high, in fact even slightly lower than a spacebar. So half a year, and absolutely no scratches and no problems.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#27 Post by RealBlackStuff » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:20 am

My T440p also has an Alps, which is a fair bit higher than the spacebar (non-backlit UK-Keyboard).
Mine caused some scratches before I put in higher bumpers, but these scratches are fortunately only visible when the screen is off.
Don't know how Synaptics behaves, but there are several complaints about such scratches on the web (mostly on Reddit).

thelash
Freshman Member

#28 Post by thelash » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:28 am

My synaptics knock off touchpad + buttons improved by updating from Win7/8 to Win10 driver:
After initial install, I've had a couple of annoying problems -
2 finger scroll using touchpad required an initial firm 'push' on the pad to get you going - bit hard to describe really, but definitely not as smooth as the action on a T460 I used to have for example. (Or even the T430.) And the inertia and scroll speed would occasionally slow right down. I could fix it by logging in and out, so maybe software??
Also the trackpoint would occasionally seize up and not function, also fixed by logging out of windows.

These problems have gone and the whole experience is a lot smoother since updating to a Win10 driver.
I found this - https://support.lenovo.com/nz/en/downloads/ds104007 -
Modded synpd according to this from reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comme ... e/cx27otc/ Bit different to the win7 synpd:

1) Find and delete the three lines -

%SMB.IBMDeviceDesc% = LENOVO_GROUP38_InterTouch_Inst,ACPI\LEN0036

%SMB.IBMDeviceDesc% = LENOVO_GROUP38_InterTouch_Win8_Inst,ACPI\LEN0036

%SMB.IBMDeviceDesc% = LENOVO_GROUP38_InterTouch_Win8_Inst,ACPI\LEN0036

2) Find the three lines -

%SMB.IBMDeviceDesc% = LENOVO_GROUP41_InterTouch_Inst,ACPI\LEN200E

%SMB.IBMDeviceDesc% = LENOVO_GROUP41_InterTouch_Win8_Inst,ACPI\LEN200E

%SMB.IBMDeviceDesc% = LENOVO_GROUP41_InterTouch_Win8_Inst,ACPI\LEN200E

Change the endings on these lines from LEN200E to LEN0036

I did a cheat upgrade - didn't uninstall the win8 driver, but unpacked the win10 driver to a desktop folder, opened up the new UltraNav folder and modded synpd as above, went to my C:/DRIVERS/WIN folder and renamed the installed UltraNav folder to 'OLD' then copied the new one in. Rebooted and updated through Device Manager in the normal way by pointing to the files in my new folder. Windows did it all without querying the unsigned driver (I presume because it was updating an already unsigned one) and with reboot all is so much smoother - feels like a thinkpad trackpoint and touchpad should.

And BTW, the buttons on this trackpad sit flush with the t440p bezel, so no rubbers required.
T430 ips, T440p.

sebileis
Freshman Member

#29 Post by sebileis » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:13 am

Hey there, maybe one of you can help me:
I did this on my T440p and everything works perfectly now (thank you!) but there seems to be an issue with the cursor moving from 100% scaling to 125% scaling whenever I press the center scroll button. I have to re-size it in the settings to get it back to the 100% size, but whenever I use the scroll button it just gets larger again. All information I can find online leads to "just reinstall the mouse drivers" which, may not be a good idea for this. Anyone have any idea?
W540+T450 TP i7-4800MQ K1100M 16 GB RAM 240GB SSD
FrankenPad T601 UXGA LED AFFS X9000 8 GB RAM 240GB SSD
Dell Vostro 470 GTX 1080 i7 3770 16 GB RAM 2x250GB SSD+2x2TB HDD
MacBook A1181 T8300 4 GB RAM 160GB HDD

T440s MUC

#30 Post by T440s MUC » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:16 am

Thank you all for all these usefull instructions. I have now sucessfully upgraded my T440s.
I want to point to an updated Windows 10 driver for the Alps trackpad: The Alps UltraNav Driver for Windows 10 (64-bit), 8.1 (64-bit), 7 (32-bit, 64-bit) - ThinkPad Yoga 15 (2/20/2019, 8.216.1616.172) n19gx17w.exe from https://support.lenovo.com/de/en/downloads/ds101993
A few tips from my side:
- Best videos on how to replace the trackpad is at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UM1p-kBaw6U
- Have a look at the hardware maintenance manual from Lenevo's website, in particular for the location of the motherboard screws
- Even with the Group Policy Editor changes above, Windows tries at least to install standard PS/2 drivers. It is ok, the new Alps drivers will overwrite these. Just run the new driver install from C:\DRIVERS\WIN\UNAV\W764\DPInst.exe (where the install files will have been copied) and after the changes to the Apfiltr.inf file as described above - not by selecting "Update driver" in the Device Manager.
- I also uninstalled the trackpad from the Device Management menu. Careful: That disables trackpad, trackpoint, and keyboard. You need another mouse connected and everything ready since you cannot type anymore (I was able to type my user pwd though...)
- Just in case, I cut off the Internet access to stop Windows from searching for new drivers while I was doing this.
- Disabling the driver signature signature check is key!
- Regarding the Alps trackpad, it is perfectly flush, no danger for the screen. Also, I ordered it on ebay (Seller: fixtablet) and it came without a flex cable. I simply used the existing one and it worked.