Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

X1 Carbon Tablet 3rd Gen - Sleep/Suspend issues - Sometimes won't respond!

X1 / X1-Carbon (X1C) / X1-Extreme (X1E) Series/Generations
pkiff

X1 Carbon Tablet 3rd Gen - Sleep/Suspend issues - Sometimes won't respond!

#1 Post by pkiff » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:16 pm

I've got a 3rd gen X1 Carbon Tablet that sometimes seems to fall into a non-responsive sleep state. The power button light continues to pulse slowly and the red light on the lid does the same, but the Tablet does not respond to any input. I notice the problem when I'm docked via Thunderbolt in a ThinkPad Thunderbolt 3 Dock. I have power settings in Windows 10 configured to sleep after a certain amount of time, but never to hibernate, I think.

By non-responsive, I mean that none of the following seems to wake it:
  • pressing the power button on the X1 Tablet
  • pressing the power button on the Dock
  • pressing the fingerprint reader on the X1 Tablet
  • typing any key, including Fn on the attached keyboard
  • unplugging the Thunderbolt connector, replugging it
  • clicking any mouse button or touchpad on the keyboard
To "wake" it up, I have to hold down the power button for 15 seconds until the machine hard turns off. Then reboot from cold start.

Is this a problem with Windows 10 Pro generally? Or is this something specific to my hardware? Is it possibly the Thunderbolt dock? Or my power settings?
X1E Gen 4 · X1T 3rd Gen · W520 · Legacy: P52, T60p, X61T, 600X, 770Z
Nostalgic for: 600X PIII 850MHz in a SelectaDock III with 64MB Voodoo 5 5500 and Sound Blaster Audigy 5.1.

dr_st
Admin
Admin

Re: X1 Carbon Tablet 3rd Gen - Sleep/Suspend issues - Sometimes won't respond!

#2 Post by dr_st » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:18 pm

With one of my Windows 7 laptops at one point I had an issue that frequently during the transition to sleep, the laptop would lock up. It would turn the screen off and stop responding, but would never quite finish entering sleep state and so you couldn't wake it up except by forced shutdown like you're experiencing.

The culprit was buggy network drivers that failed to complete the power state transition; eventually (after 10-15 minutes) the laptop would crash and turn off. See if it does the same to you if you leave it for a long time in this limbo state.
Thinkpad 25 (20K7), T490 (20N3), Yoga 14 (20FY), T430s (IPS FHD + Classic Keyboard), X220 4291-4BG
X61 7673-V2V, T60 2007-QPG, T42 2373-F7G, X32 (IPS Screen), A31p w/ Ultrabay Numpad

Puppy
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#3 Post by Puppy » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:03 pm

It is rather Lenovo BIOS or drivers or wireless device firmware issue. Customers are the first who ever tested it.
ThinkPad (1992 - 2012): R51, X31, X220
Huawei MateBook 13

pkiff

#4 Post by pkiff » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:52 pm

Mmmm....I did see something about a BIOS issue with these X1's that could cause a hardware freeze and even brick the machines entirely, but I thought I remembered updating my BIOS recently after being prompted by Lenovo's Update/Advantage software, so I assumed they'd fixed it. Wishful thinking, perhaps!

I'll go through my key drivers and firmware and make sure they are all up-to-date and then see if I can pin down what causes the issue most often.
Nostalgic for: 600X PIII 850MHz in a SelectaDock III with 64MB Voodoo 5 5500 and Sound Blaster Audigy 5.1.

pkiff

#5 Post by pkiff » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:24 pm

It turns out that I did actually have some key updates waiting - a BIOS update from December 2018 (v.1.27) and a "Thunderbolt Firmware Update" from November 2018.

The firmware update that remembered doing recently was for the "Thinkpad TBT3 Dock" and that one just got released last week.

Not sure why I wasn't prompted to do those other updates automatically.These days, I don't spend time looking for and evaluating each and every update on my machines the way I used to: I just accept Windows or Lenovo's recommendations whenever they pop up. My W520 running Windows 10 has been sturdy as a rock for several years following that practice. But I guess as Puppy suggests, some of these newer Thinkpads are still kinda in late beta phase instead of being tried and true the way I'm used to with my old Thinkpads.

Now I'll have to wait and see if these updates have helped get rid of these failure to wake from sleep/suspend issues.

pkiff

#6 Post by pkiff » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:44 am

I thought I'd report back on the current status to close off this issue. I haven't experienced one of these non-responsive sleep states since the series of firmware, BIOS and driver updates I did a couple weeks ago. So, while I'm not sure which one fixed it, I think one of them did.

solarmon

#7 Post by solarmon » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:46 am

Hi,

I have a similar issue with my Thinkpad X1 Yoga 3rd Gen tablet, connected to a Thinkpad Thunderbolt 3 dock.

When I leave it, sometimes it will go to 'sleep' (I think) - the screen is blank and it will not respond to any mouse or keyboard input, or a short press of the power button.

Initially, I had to hold down the power button to power to turn it fully off and then press the power button again to power it back up.

However, now I have found out that it will come out of this sleep mode if I disconnect the thunderbolt 3 cable! However, the thunderbolt 3 is used for both power and data, so I lose network connectivity (but it might have lost network connectivity anyways when it went in to this sleep mode).

I had previously tried chanting the registry setting to enable the 'unattended sleep timeout' setting and set it to 0 to disable it:

https://appuals.com/windows-10-sleeps-a ... nactivity/

However, this did not seem to prevent it from going in to this sleep mode.

I then used the Lenovo System Update to make sure all my drivers were up to date, including the BIOS, which was a few revisions behind. I've updated the BIOS to 1.30 (21/02/2019). However, even after all these updates, the issue still occurs.

This is an issue for me because I need to leave this laptop on and for it to be active all the time, so that I can get remote access to it (for work) so if it goes in to sleep mode I am not able to remote access to it.

Any other tips to try to resolve this issue? I haven't tried leaving it undocked, but since I have all my screens and connectivity through this dock for normal use, it is a bit impractical, but it may just rule out/in the docking station.

pkiff

#8 Post by pkiff » Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:04 pm

I haven't had the problem since I updated all those drivers and the BIOS. I leave it sometimes attached to the Thunderbolt 3 Dock for several days at a time, with the lid closed, without any activity, and it has not been getting locked up.

I use the power button on the Thunderbolt Dock to suspend or recover from suspend when necessary, and that seems to work fine now as well. Though to be honest, I very rarely purposely suspend it when it is docked. I usually just let it sit idle. Or I turn it off completely. Sometimes I turn it off completely when I'm undocking because that helps fix stray font/icon magnification issues that arise from dpi differences when I switch from my desktop monitor to the built-in LCD display.

I notice that I am currently not using the Lenovo Power Management software. I'm just using the built-in Windows 10 power management, with the default "balanced" plan. I forget if that is because I was troubleshooting my system freezes, and I forgot to reinstall it, or what.

Other than that, the machine is running pretty much standard Windows 10 Pro, fully updated with the latest BIOS.

When these issues were causing me troubles, even disconnecting, or reconnecting the Thunderbolt cable would have no effect.

pkiff

#9 Post by pkiff » Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:15 pm

I currently have Power Options set as follows:

On battery:
Turn off display: 5 minutes
Put to sleep: 10 minutes

Plugged in:
Turn off display: 1 hour
Put to sleep: 2 hours

(I think those above settings may be the defaults for "balanced"?)

In Power & sleep there is a "Network connection" setting,
"When my PC is asleep and on battery power, disconnect from the network...:"
which is set to:
"Managed by Windows"

Though I don't try to remotely access this laptop or VPN into it.

Then in advanced settings:
Hibernate after:
On battery: 300 minutes
Plugged in: Never

I have Fast Startup turned on.
I have set all the "Power and sleep buttons and lid settings" for all instances regardless of whether on battery or plugged in to "Sleep".
And I've removed "Hibernate" from the start menu.
So I've effectively disabled "Hibernate" as an option altogether (except in that one case of being On battery and in sleep mode from more than 300 minutes, noted above).