Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Possible CPU Upgrade & SSD replacement of HDD for Thinkpad R61

R30/R40, A30/A31, G40/G50 and Z60/Z61 Series. NOT for AMD-Ryzen.
wolfstrike29

Possible CPU Upgrade & SSD replacement of HDD for Thinkpad R61

#1 Post by wolfstrike29 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:45 pm

Hey Thinkpad Forums,

I've been following this forum for about a couple years now since I own a Thinkpad R61. Recently i had gotten Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit after having Windows xp and Ubuntu on a separate partition. I want to upgrade the CPU of this laptop plus replace the hdd (80 gb) with a SSD drive so things can run a bit faster. Below i will link the specs for this laptop.

From anyone's prior knowledge, based on the specs of my laptop, and given what socket is supported on my laptop model for the Thinkpad R61, What CPU do you guys best think will work for this laptop? From what i researched within the last couple months or so, correct me if i'm wrong, the possible CPU's i can upgrade are the following: Intel Core 2 Duo T-7100, T-7300, T-7500, & T-7700? What i like to upgrade out of those CPU's is the T-7700 but i'm having issues in understanding if whether or not my motherboard not only supports a Socket 479 mPGA (can support an M socket based CPU since they're very similar), but can it support a P socket CPU as well?

One of the other underlying issues I'm having in understanding what i can upgrade for this laptop is the SSD drive. From my understanding, correct me if I'm wrong, the SSD that can fit in this laptop is a SATA 2.5 inch SSD? And from my understanding from reading previous forum post, the middleton BIOS can be installed on this laptop in order to assist the laptop in running its SSD at optimal speeds (3gb/sec i think). If i can get an idea what SATA drive i should go for based on specs that can be of great help because I'm not totally sure what should i look for being this is a unique machine.

Processor (CPU)
CPU Name: Intel® Celeron® CPU 540 @ 1.86GHz
Threading: 1 CPU - 1 Core - 1 Threads
Frequency: 1861.72 MHz (14 * 132.98 MHz)
Multiplier Current: 14 / Min: 6
Architecture: Conroe-L / Stepping: A1 / Technology: 65 nm
CPUID / Ext. 6.6.1 / 6.16
IA Extensions: MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, EM64T
Caches L1D : 32 KB / L2 : 1024 KB
Caches Assoc:. L1D : 8-way / L2 : 4-way
Microcode Rev.: 0x33
Temperature: 52 °C / 126 °F
Type Retail

Motherboard
Model: LENOVO 8935A47
Socket: Socket 479 mPGA
North Bridge: Intel GM965 rev C0
South Bridge: Intel 82801HBM (ICH8-ME) rev B1
BIOS LENOVO 7OET24WW (1.03 ) (06/28/2007)

Memory (RAM)
Total Size: 4096 MB
Type: Dual Channel (128 bit) DDR2-SDRAM
Frequency: 266 MHz (DDR2-532) - Ratio 1:2
Timings: 4-4-4-12 (tCAS-tRC-tRP-tRAS)

Graphic Card (GPU)
GPU Type: Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family
GPU Brand: Lenovo

Storage (HDD/SSD)
Model #1: HITACHI HTS542580K9SA00 (FW: BBBZC3HP)
Model #1: Capacity 74.5 GiB (~80 GB)
Model #1 :Type Fixed - Bus: ATA (3)

Miscellaneous
Windows Version Microsoft Windows 7 (6.1) Ultimate Edition 64-bit
Windows Subver. Service Pack 1 (Build 7601
CPU-Z Version 1.87.0 (64 bit)

Thanks guys for your time and consideration.

Screamer

Re: Possible CPU Upgrade & SSD replacement of HDD for Thinkpad R61

#2 Post by Screamer » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:53 am

You can't upgrade your R61 with any Socket M processor, because they are physically and electrically incompatible. The BIOS does not accept any Socket M processor either, since it does not have any available microcodes that can be used to run them.

By the way, your R61's motherboard does not utilize a socket that is named 'Socket 479 mPGA' (this is generalized for some strange reason). The actual name of it is mPGA478MN (Socket P), and Socket M is mPGA478MT. Which means, you should be able to install any Socket P processor in your R61. The Core 2 Quad and the 1066MT/s processors won't work without additional modifications, though.

I would suggest getting the Core 2 Duo T9300, or the T9500 if you don't mind spending a little more. Although, the fastest processor you can get is the X9000. Those are not cheap, however.

Yes, 2.5" SATA SSDs will work without an issue. Yes, middleton's BIOS is needed if you want to utilize SATA-300 to allow most SSDs to reach their usual speeds.

I believe that we would need some requirements for your preferred SSD, since some prefer reliability and some prefer all-out speed.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#3 Post by RealBlackStuff » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:50 am

You'd be quite happy with a Samsung 860 EVO SSD, such as this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/113356081111
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)
Lenovo: X240, X250, T440p, T480, M900 Tiny.

PS: the old Boardroom website is still available on the Wayback Machine

wolfstrike29

#4 Post by wolfstrike29 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:17 pm

Hey Guys,

You guys are awesome for your replies thank you! A couple questions. Where did you guys find the socket type for my motherboard in this R61 model? I was searching for that for like 5 hours yesterday in the manual and just running CPU-Z to see if it would be identified but it wasn't identified properly (thanks for catching that for me). Yeah this is probably the first ever laptop i have ever opened up like it was a desktop and was able to insert RAM in no problem, clean the fan, heat sink, reapply thermal paste, etc. I haven't thought about the kind of SSD i would go for yet. I mainly want something that is fast and behaves like a regular hard drive in terms of requiring not a lot in system requirements. Just mainly interested in the speed of being able to surf faster, boot up the computer faster, and be able to utilize multiple processes perhaps.

In you guys opinion,
    would it be best to upgrade the CPU and stick in a 500gb HDD?

[/list]Would it be best to upgrade the HDD to a SDD before i decide to venture and buy a new CPU based off the the ones you guys thought are compatible with the motherboard?
      And would i see bigger improvements with upgrading the CPU more than the SDD? Or is it the other way around?

Does the X9000 act as a quad core processor?

Based on the info you guys passed down to me (thank you so much again!), where did you guys find a lot of this info? I searched for these things before yesterday within about a couple month period and i couldn't find anything unfortunately.

Thanks again,

--Wolf

wolfstrike29

#5 Post by wolfstrike29 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:17 pm

Thanks again Fellas,

--Wolf

Cigarguy
      ThinkPadder
      ThinkPadder

#6 Post by Cigarguy » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:18 pm

A T9300, SSD and 4 GB of RAM will make a big difference. I still use a similar system, a T61, with this setup.

wolfstrike29

#7 Post by wolfstrike29 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:38 pm

Nice. Thanks @Cigarguy. For the CPU's, do you guys get yours from Ebay mostly? Or is there another online seller you guys use?

Cigarguy
      ThinkPadder
      ThinkPadder

#8 Post by Cigarguy » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:39 pm

My first preference is the Marketplace of this forum then it's eBay. I've had mixed results from eBay depending on the seller.

wolfstrike29

#9 Post by wolfstrike29 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:46 pm

how do i access the marketplace on this forum?

ajkula66
      SuperUserGeorge
      SuperUserGeorge

#10 Post by ajkula66 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:18 pm

wolfstrike29 wrote:
      Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:46 pm
      how do i access the marketplace on this forum?
      Here you go:

viewforum.php?f=11

Happy upgrading.
      ...Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules...(King Crimson)

Cheers,

George (your grouchy retired FlexView farmer)

One FlexView to rule them all: A31p

Abused daily: T520, X200s

PMs requesting personal tech support will be ignored.

Screamer

#11 Post by Screamer » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:33 am

wolfstrike29 wrote:
      Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:17 pm
      Where did you guys find the socket type for my motherboard in this R61 model? I was searching for that for like 5 hours yesterday in the manual and just running CPU-Z to see if it would be identified but it wasn't identified properly (thanks for catching that for me).
      Well, it is sort of labeled on the processor's socket. If you were to disassemble the R61, and check the socket for any text, you would find the label 'mPGA478MN' placed on the left side of the socket's actuator.
      wolfstrike29 wrote:
      I haven't thought about the kind of SSD i would go for yet. I mainly want something that is fast and behaves like a regular hard drive in terms of requiring not a lot in system requirements. Just mainly interested in the speed of being able to surf faster, boot up the computer faster, and be able to utilize multiple processes perhaps.
      I would second RealBlackStuff's suggestion of getting the Samsung 860 EVO, based on what you preferred.
      wolfstrike29 wrote:
      would it be best to upgrade the CPU and stick in a 500gb HDD?
      Processor? Of course. HDD? That sort of depends on your usage.

I would go for HDDs for the sake of cheap storage, but not for speed. If you want more storage capacity rather than performance, then I would suggest going for a HDD. Or, you could go for an SSHD. It does not have the speed of an SSD, but it is definitely slightly faster than a normal HDD. I wouldn't know about the general pricing range of SSHDs, though.
      wolfstrike29 wrote:
      Would it be best to upgrade the HDD to a SDD before i decide to venture and buy a new CPU based off the the ones you guys thought are compatible with the motherboard?
      Based on my experience with an SSD, yes.
      wolfstrike29 wrote:
      And would i see bigger improvements with upgrading the CPU more than the SDD? Or is it the other way around?
      That would heavily depend on your usage, because the SSD emphasizes more on the operating system's responsiveness. For example, boot times and access times (searching for a file on the SSD).

If you run a lot of applications that require a lot of processing power, and load themselves into RAM instead of being streamed from the SSD/HDD, then you would see more noticeable improvements from getting a faster processor.
      wolfstrike29 wrote:
      Does the X9000 act as a quad core processor?
      Uh... no. It does not, since it only has 2 cores.
      wolfstrike29 wrote:
      where did you guys find a lot of this info? I searched for these things before yesterday within about a couple month period and i couldn't find anything unfortunately.
      The socket's name is pretty easy to identify, just a google search I suppose.

Some of my information comes directly from experience, or well, just another google search.

wujstefan
      ThinkPadder
      ThinkPadder

#12 Post by wujstefan » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:19 am

Is it 16:10 or 4:3 unit?
      Too many thinkpads not enough time!
      (stable under reduction)

Screamer

#13 Post by Screamer » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:45 am

It should be a 15.4" 16:10 unit, based on the machine type number of his R61:

Code: Select all

THINKPAD R61 8935-A47
      Based on 8935-22U: Celeron M 540(1.86GHz), 512MB RAM, 80GB 5400rpm HD, 15.4in 1280x800 LCD, Intel X3100,
      CDRW/DVD, Intel 802.11abg wireless, Modem, 1Gb Ethernet, UltraNav, Secure chip, WinXP Pro

wujstefan
      ThinkPadder
      ThinkPadder

#14 Post by wujstefan » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:45 am

Ah yes, I didn't notice the type/no.

The system would handle X9000 if you want to make a hard investment. T9300 would be very fine, and a $10 T8300 would be the best in here imo. Add in SSD and the system should remain very responsive at a low-cost investment.

I was asking whether it's a 16:10 or 4:3 cuz' 4:3 heatsink is not as capable to pump out the heat to make uxage of X9000 reasonable without undervolting.
      (stable under reduction)

wolfstrike29

#15 Post by wolfstrike29 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:30 pm

Hey guys,

You guys really have kept my informed and up to date on stuff related to the thinkpad R61. So thank you so much again.

I'm going to ask you guys opinion on the processors suggested. I looked up the T9300, T8300 and T9500 and one of the common denominator for them on Ebay is that they're being sold in China :eek: I'm not totally sure at the cheaper prices i'm seeing for them ($3.50 to $14) that they're official Intel products or cheap knockoffs. The cost doesn't seem a lot but the number of days to wait for your order is ranging between 15 to 30 days. if you want expedite shipping you're paying like $35 or $45. And i don't really want to put myself in a tight situation where things are risky for some odd reason.

But have any of you guys ordered the processors from Ebay where the seller is somewhere in China or Hong Kong? And besides the marketplace forum on this site, do you guys know of other websites you can buy those processors that are little more close to the U.S. than somewhere far like China?

Thanks again guys,

--Wolf

Screamer

#16 Post by Screamer » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:33 am

They are official Intel products that are being sold, not cheap knock-offs. I have not found such a processor that was engineered and fabricated from scratch to completely mimic any known Intel processor, yet.

Although, it is possible to get a re-labeled processor. The chances of that happening, is not very common as far as I know. If that ever happens to you, I am sure that most of the reputable sellers on eBay (even if they are from China) would refund you.

I did, and I was never given a re-labeled processor, luckily.

I don't think I know of a website that sells used processors, and is also located in the US (warehouse included).

wujstefan
      ThinkPadder
      ThinkPadder

#17 Post by wujstefan » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:13 am

Besides these low-priced CPUs simply make it irrational to relabel. Too much effort for not enough profit.

I have received a counterfeit X9000 some time ago, though.
      (stable under reduction)

RealBlackStuff
      Admin Emeritus
      Admin Emeritus

#18 Post by RealBlackStuff » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:08 am

wolfstrike29

#19 Post by wolfstrike29 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:03 pm

I found this really great website i think you guys might be interested in. I see i can get my CPU's from here:

https://starmicroinc.net/intel-core-2-d ... 76gg0606m/
      https://starmicroinc.net/intel-core-2-d ... 76gg0646m/

These two will fit my Thinkpad R61 right?

Could i fit 2 of these 4gb sticks in my laptop? And where is documentation that the computer can go up to 8gb?

https://starmicroinc.net/4gb-ddr2-pc2-5 ... or-laptop/
      Last edited by wolfstrike29 on Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Screamer

#20 Post by Screamer » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:37 am

Yes, and yes.

I don't think there was an official Intel documentation that stated 8GB of RAM was supported, at least to my knowledge. Although, I am very sure that your R61 would be able to address 8GB of RAM without an issue.

I used to own an R61i that ran with 8GB of RAM, and I am sure that also applies to your R61. After all, they utilized the very same northbridge.

wolfstrike29

#21 Post by wolfstrike29 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:25 pm

Thanks bud for the reply. I really appreciate it.

--Wolf

Behemot

#22 Post by Behemot » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:04 am

Screamer wrote:
      Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:37 am
      Yes, and yes.

I don't think there was an official Intel documentation that stated 8GB of RAM was supported, at least to my knowledge. Although, I am very sure that your R61 would be able to address 8GB of RAM without an issue.

I used to own an R61i that ran with 8GB of RAM, and I am sure that also applies to your R61. After all, they utilized the very same northbridge.
      R61i has GM965 while R61 (and possibly R61e) has PM965+dedicated NVS 140 (pretty much useless with just 128 MB of RAM - could not even accelerate Full HD video). But all the x65 should - unofficially - support 8 GB. Just that the 4GB DDR2 modules are kindy pricy.

If the OP does not mind me asking in his thread, as platter drives are still much cheaper than SSD and using that for static data like movies and photos is a waste, anybody has an idea where to get the Ultrabay SATA HDD adapter for reasonable price? Marketing PN: 40Y8725/FRU PN: 26R9246/other P/N: 26R9247. It converts that bloody ultrabay UATA to 2,5" SATA via Marvell chip. Seems like it's sold out everywhere!

The R61 runs quite nice with the T9300, I've already upgraded first of the few I recently obtained, runs very nice with modded BIOS which unlocks full SATA-300 speed, buffed with 120GB Kingston A400 and 4 GB of RAM (you don't really need more for ordinary use with SSD SWAP). Second hard drive would be nice though. Or than 240GB SSD and second battery in Ultrabay, those are still comon at fleebay…DVD drive is useless in 2019, just a waste of space and weight.

Screamer

#23 Post by Screamer » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:58 am

This appears to be compatible, but it surely does not look like a genuine part.

Behemot

#24 Post by Behemot » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:12 pm

Yeah, I've run into that one. Just that…for that money I can get the whole laptop in current configuration. It would be cheaper to just stick single 960GB SSD into it than getting this+some hard drive :eek: