Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

E570 Display Flickers

Edge / E-Series
J Walker

E570 Display Flickers

#1 Post by J Walker » Sat May 11, 2019 8:36 am

My E570 screen flickers and I can correlate the flickering to when I tap on the display. I plugged my TV into the HDMI port and there are no flickers on the TV when I can see them on the Thinkpad display. So it appears that I have a bad display or connector to the display. I have updated the drivers for the display. I have not updated the BIOS because I have found that to be risky. I really like the E570 with awesome speed, long battery life, and light weight. I read that the case is not as strong as some other Thinkpads but I felt that with careful use it would not be a problem. Could the case have contributed to the display going out? I am considering replacing the display if the cost is under $200. Thanks for any insights.

J Walker

Re: E570 Display Flickers

#2 Post by J Walker » Sat May 11, 2019 4:48 pm

I guess my problem is rare since there are no replies. I undertook to see if I could replace the display and fortunately youtube videos show how to do that and it is easy. One video said that if the screen is flickering I should unplug the multi pin connector, clean it with contact cleaner, and reconnect it. I disconnected and reconnected the connector and ran my finger along the bottom of the display. The latter caused a lot of flicker at first and then very little. Those things stopped the flicker. I did not use contact cleaner because the display flicker went away with just unplugging and plugging. A new display would not be expensive and I would have been happy to go that route. I have not had any flicker in half a day and probably the problem is solved.

J Walker

#3 Post by J Walker » Tue May 14, 2019 9:20 pm

Try one helped but there was a small amount of flickering. I took the screen out again and put Radio Shack contact cleaner on the connector pins. This is day two and no flicker. After a few days I will declare victory. It does seem like bad contact caused the problem. Why this laptop had the problem and none of my others did is a mystery. I am crossing my fingers now but I have a source located to buy a new screen if need be.

J Walker

#4 Post by J Walker » Wed May 22, 2019 10:51 pm

I am now on try three since the contact cleaner did not provide a lasting fix. I ordered a replacement screen for $60 and it is installed and working. BTW a youtube video shows how easy it is to replace a screen. It is a little early to declare success but I expect this to be a long term fix.

J Walker

#5 Post by J Walker » Tue May 28, 2019 1:38 pm

It is now a week with the new screen and no problems. The symptom of the problem was intermittent vertical lines. For anyone who might need to replace a laptop screen I bought my replacement at Laptop Screens, https://www.laptopscreen.com/?gclid=EAI ... gJGIPD_BwE

J Walker

#6 Post by J Walker » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:39 pm

Screen is working flawlessly and I have a lifetime warranty from the supplier. Also, since there were no replies from others let me say, Thinkpad Forum RIP.