Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

A favor/request for media

Performance, hardware, software, general buying and gaming discussion..
SG21

A favor/request for media

#1 Post by SG21 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:07 pm

Hello everybody,

I am SG21, a technology archivist and a person who is running their own unique project. I have a request/favor to ask of this entire community. As an archivist of technology I tend to archive things such as old game installation media and etc. I am requesting that anybody in this community who has OLD IBM Product Recovery media to please dump it and PM me. Once you've done that I will personally do all the work to archive it myself. And as for my project...my project is a very unique one and opens up a whole new world of virtualization. My project is very unique in the sense that I crack the security of old OEM recovery media for use on any PC including VM's even.

I mean I only do it for discs up to Windows XP so since its all dead the OEM's shouldn't really mind. But also the cracked media I have not released yet. For now its all my own, personal private collection but I do send some to my friends and crack some of my friends recovery media.

One of the biggest reasons I'm asking this favor is because archive.org and everywhere else you rarely see any OEM recovery media. My job is to archive those old OEM recovery discs for anybody who needs it in the future to restore their PCs to factory defaults.

Sincerely,

SG21

dr_st
Admin
Admin

Re: A favor/request for media

#2 Post by dr_st » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:32 am

SG21 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:07 pm
As an archivist of technology I tend to archive things such as old game installation media and etc.
Do you mean hard copies or disk images? Do you have a website that you could share with us to demonstrate your project?
SG21 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:07 pm
My project is very unique in the sense that I crack the security of old OEM recovery media for use on any PC including VM's even.
So, this is something I don't understand the point of. The OEM recovery media contains specific drivers and software for the system it was designed for. A lot of it will not apply to a different PC, or won't work. Other than that, it's just a generic installation CD, of which plenty are available on the internet (never mind the legal aspect for the moment). What is the advantage of using cracked OEM recovery media over a generic ISO?
Thinkpad 25 (20K7), T490 (20N3), Yoga 14 (20FY), T430s (IPS FHD + Classic Keyboard), X220 4291-4BG
X61 7673-V2V, T60 2007-QPG, T42 2373-F7G, X32 (IPS Screen), A31p w/ Ultrabay Numpad

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#3 Post by RealBlackStuff » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:44 am

Somebody in the Houston area is taking the mickey out of us...
Location ddddddd? fugeddit!
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)
Lenovo: X240, X250, T440p, T480, M900 Tiny.

PS: the old Boardroom website is still available on the Wayback Machine

pkiff

#4 Post by pkiff » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:19 pm

I'm with the RealBlackStuff on this one. Delete!

Besides, he says he's some kind of Thinkpad enthusiast who's been collecting OEM disks for friends and cracking and them and sharing them but he's never bothered to join this forum until now? And he wants real people with real online identities to send some stranger files so he can hack them for what purpose? It just sounds like some faux-hacker un-l33t school kiddie to me.

Additionally, it is unquestionably illegal to crack these OEM disks in any country until Windows itself is no longer under copyright. There is no future archive to be built that this cracking work will achieve or that will end up in the public domain. If anything, cracked recovery disks will just lead to the distribution of potentially virus-infected disks through back channels and pirated torrent sites. The only project that has any hope of surviving currently is one that preserves bit-for-bit actual copies of the OEM disks, not cracked copies. And even then, it probably requires the passive tolerance of Lenovo and Microsoft to continue under the radar until the copyright runs out or they themselves open up an archive for historical purposes.

Just my opinion (!).

Phil.
X1E Gen 4 · X1T 3rd Gen · W520 · Legacy: P52, T60p, X61T, 600X, 770Z
Nostalgic for: 600X PIII 850MHz in a SelectaDock III with 64MB Voodoo 5 5500 and Sound Blaster Audigy 5.1.

theterminator93
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#5 Post by theterminator93 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:17 pm

This individual also PM'd me asking for this. He wanted me to upload everything I have (no easy task considering it's nearly 300GB), and stated he wanted to hack/crack them. I didn't bother responding. :roll:
T480 with T25 keyboard | T25 | W520 i7-2860QM·Quadro 2000m·IPS FHD | T601F T9900·NVS 140m·LED AFFS UXGA
T420 IPS FHD | X220 IPS FHD | T61p·T61·43·42p|X13 Yoga G3·220T·301·41T·24·23·22|G41|A31p·22m|i1200|TransNote
600|770Z|770|760XD|760EL|701C|755C

BillMorrow
*Senior* Admin
*Senior* Admin

#6 Post by BillMorrow » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:47 am

AND this fellow is DEMANDING his rights to privacy and thus far refuses to show his more or less real location..
i'm just now typing a reply PM and will try to let him know he must, like most everyone else around here, show a location.. and if not his street address, like some forum members have entered and i have changed to just the town and state, at least a town or city close to where he is.. in short, just a little white lie to keep the peace.. :)
otherwise, based upon his terse PM to me and the 2 times he has deleted his IP location and his use of the word "hack" i'll acquiesce to his choice, if he wishes, after my answering PM and close his account..
i mean come on, the privacy horse left that barn 20 years ago.. MOL..

the OP has been deactivated..
this thread is locked..
Bill Morrow, kept by parrots :parrot: & cockatoos
Sysop - forum.thinkpads.com

She was not what you would call refined,
She was not what you would call unrefined,
She was the type of person who kept a parrot.
~~~Mark Twain~~~