Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Replacement battery for T420s today in 2019

T400/T410/T420 and T500/T510/T520 Series
brickbot

Replacement battery for T420s today in 2019

#1 Post by brickbot » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:45 am

I recently bought a refurbished T420s, it's in great condition other than the battery (Lenovo 66+) which down to about 12% of original capacity.

I know an original OEM battery (66+ or 81+) is the best replacement, but it seems that Lenovo doesn't seem to acknowledge that this model exists anymore. So I guess my alternative is to try aftermarket or so-called "Genuine" batteries on ebay/Amazon or to have the battery rebuilt.

Anybody have any suggestions where to go to get a decent replacement battery today (A Canadian source would be preferred).

Thanks.

brickbot

Re: Replacement battery for T420s today in 2019

#2 Post by brickbot » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:55 am

I guess nobody has bought nobody has a good source of aftermarket batteries for the T420s/T430s. They seem to be a lot less common than the ones for other models.

I've been looking around, there's a battery I can get locally branded "Superb Choice" (model CS-LVT420NB) - anybody have any experience with this particular brand? They seem to be based in California.

Another alternative, I've found a place in Canada that rebuilds battery packs, they quoted me a price that was slightly more than most aftermarket packs, Anybody ever use one of these places? This particular one seems to be a small business and so they might be worth spending a little more to get decent quality.

TPFanatic
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#3 Post by TPFanatic » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:13 pm

I bought a used Panasonic battery for my T430s on eBay. It usually lasts me one and a half hours, mostly idling, so I keep an AC adapter with me. The battery life is very poor on this model.

Freshman Member

#4 Post by 789 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:18 pm

brickbot wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:45 am
Anybody have any suggestions where to go to get a decent replacement battery today (A Canadian source would be preferred).
http://www.battdepot.com/ca/model/noteb ... n216x.aspx

The warehouse is in Richmond, BC.

TRS-80
Sophomore Member

#5 Post by TRS-80 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:05 pm

I realize this is a few months old, but I'm posting for posterity (this came up in my suggestions at the bottom, which is how I found it).

Being an aficionado of various old tech (ThinkPads, and the Galaxy s5 which was the last Galaxy with a user replaceable battery) I have run into and thought about this problem a fair bit.

With the s5s for instance, sellers on eBay claiming OEM batteries when this is absolutely impossible, as the phone hasn't been manufactured for years (and Samsung no longer makes those batteries, to my knowledge).

At this point it seems to me that sellers are just straight lying through their teeth about what they are selling, especially batteries. You don't know what you are getting. And no (legitimate) OEM available (in these cases), despite sellers claims.

So what to do in such an environment? I think the best option, overall, is to seek out a known, trusted aftermarket brand name manufacturer and buy their batteries. Someone like Anker. Maybe there are others out there as well (suggestions welcome) but that is just one I am familiar with. They make decent batteries as well as power supplies (something I am also particular about).

If anyone else has found any other quality sources, or a better idea, I'd love to hear about it.

Incidentally, when it comes to power supplies, I bought a very high quality (class VI or something, almost 100% efficiency) Mean Well power supply for my Cubietruck (Single Board Computer) from I think Mouser or someone like that, and I may do the same sort of thing next time I need a ThinkPad power supply.
All good things are Wild and Free.

What is free software and why is it so important for society?

(2022) Actively on the lookout for for 15" T60 FlexView / Hydis LED displays and parts, for my own usage. Kindly PM me your demands if you are willing to part with anything. :D