Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

ok, now I need a few hints on win 10

Windows 1x on Thinkpads
BillMorrow
*Senior* Admin
*Senior* Admin

ok, now I need a few hints on win 10

#1 Post by BillMorrow » Sun May 05, 2019 1:18 pm

just got, after much scrambling with dollars, a refurb X1 extreme.. the really extreme version..
now i must relearn all i knew before but have forgotten, like
HOW THE EFFF do i set up win10 without a M$ account..
it DEMANDS my email and so forth and i just don't want to give M$ that info.. :)
Bill Morrow, kept by parrots :parrot: & cockatoos
Sysop - forum.thinkpads.com

She was not what you would call refined,
She was not what you would call unrefined,
She was the type of person who kept a parrot.
~~~Mark Twain~~~

Thinkpad4by3
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Re: ok, now I need a few hints on win 10

#2 Post by Thinkpad4by3 » Sun May 05, 2019 1:38 pm

If you look around closely, there is some small font in I believe the lower right hand corner that is blue on blue text saying "offline account".

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/install- ... al-account
Thinkpad4by3's Law of the Universe.

The efficiency of two screens equally sized with equal numbers if pixels are equal. The time spent by a 4:3 user complaining about 16:9 is proportional to the inefficiency working with a 16:9 display, therefore the amount of useful work extracted is equal.

BillMorrow
*Senior* Admin
*Senior* Admin

#3 Post by BillMorrow » Sun May 05, 2019 1:57 pm

thanks.. :)
you think an offline account will work when setting up the preload for the first time..?
any intel on how an offline account will affect future updates..?

~~~Mark Twain~~~

madicetea

#4 Post by madicetea » Sun May 05, 2019 3:41 pm

BillMorrow wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 1:57 pm
Thanks.. :)
You think an offline account will work when setting up the preload for the first time..?
Any intel on how an offline account will affect future updates..?
I know it will work, it's how I set up my home (and now, at work) LTSB builds (including the newer 2019 LTSB). I think somewhere it changed so to get the blue text in the lower corner "set up an offline account" YOU MUST BE OFFLINE (NO LAN and NO WIFI can be connected). A restart is forced for one time; I think to confirm that you want to set up a local account instead of Microsoft Account and to change the sequence of setup screens.

Once you get that done, you should have all security and feature updates just as usual (though some adjustments may also be needed from the 'Add/Remove Features from Windows' menu separate to the regular Windows Update. Not Windows at the moment, but Office 2019 is the last version of Office that does not need a Microsoft Account -- and to use the full features on-par with the more-often updated Office365, a Microsoft Account is necessary. The Windows Operating System may be heading in this direction and with the reduced 18 month support period (for non-LTSB OS SKUs) for Windows 10 builds (updated twice per year), it may not take us long to get there if such a practice were to start.

Naturally, setting this up for multiple computers may (and almost always will) be a pain. Consider setting this up as an image in VMWare as a Golden Master Image and then copy it onto a solid state or hard disk drive.
MadIceTea, Thinkpad Enthusiast

Daily: X250 FHD
Museum: PC110 20MB, X61 T9300 SXGA+ LED
Donated: x2001 AFFS i5-530 (to my alma matter)
Past: 701Cs German, 535/X, 760E/XL, i-series 12/14xx, piano s30, R60e, X60, X61, T60, T61, X200 P8700, X121e

That chicken sure looks funny.

dr_st
Admin
Admin

#5 Post by dr_st » Mon May 06, 2019 6:31 am

You can use offline account. Nothing will be affected. It will just be like previous Windows versions. For now, at least.
Thinkpad 25 (20K7), T490 (20N3), Yoga 14 (20FY), T430s (IPS FHD + Classic Keyboard), X220 4291-4BG
X61 7673-V2V, T60 2007-QPG, T42 2373-F7G, X32 (IPS Screen), A31p w/ Ultrabay Numpad

BillMorrow
*Senior* Admin
*Senior* Admin

#6 Post by BillMorrow » Mon May 06, 2019 12:28 pm

thanks for the hints.. :)
a few initial thoughts on this X1 extreme thinkpad..
i really like the X1C-2 except for the Fx key/strip and the funky trackpad/mouse buttons..
an interesting idea but not well executed..
i love the X1C-3..
the X1C E just builds on the X1 series.. it dazzles me so far with the super nice 4K display and the return of the thinkpad soft finish..
i like the CF memory card slot and will be exploring all the other features..
NOTE: when i get one of these, since i must pay and $$ is always a bit slim i consider it carefully..
i always go for the top model, touch screen, densest display and matte if offered..
when i saw this new (last year) model i really wanted to see and try it.. thanks to the trump tax law my tax prep cost was much cheaper and the refund will pay for this one twice over.. it was a refurb on amazon..
still wrestling with win10.. now i must read the manual again.. :)

~~~Mark Twain~~~

Thinkpad4by3
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#7 Post by Thinkpad4by3 » Mon May 06, 2019 1:56 pm

BillMorrow wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 12:28 pm

The X1CE has a CF card slot?? You sure its not an SD card slot?

The efficiency of two screens equally sized with equal numbers if pixels are equal. The time spent by a 4:3 user complaining about 16:9 is proportional to the inefficiency working with a 16:9 display, therefore the amount of useful work extracted is equal.

w0qj
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#8 Post by w0qj » Mon May 06, 2019 7:10 pm

The X1 Extreme 1st Gen (which I would like to call it X1E1) is confirmed to have a full SD Memory Card slot.
ie: The SD card fits all the way into the X1E1, and fits almost flush against its side.

This is a major attraction; imagine the possibilities such as that spanking new 1 TB SD Card that can fit all your movie/MP3 on it,
right there on your SD Card, always available to your X1E1, and not taking up space on your main SSD!
BillMorrow wrote:
...a few initial thoughts on this X1 extreme thinkpad..
...the X1C E just builds on the X1 series.. it dazzles me so far with the super nice 4K display and the return of the thinkpad soft finish..
NOTE:
...i always go for the top model, touch screen, densest display and matte if offered..
...it was a refurb on amazon..
still wrestling with win10...
Daily Driver: (X1E3) X1 Extreme 3rd Gen | mobile broadband (WWAN)
Current Thinkpads: X1E3 | X1E1 | X1C10 | X1C9 | X1C4 | X1C3 | X230
Retired Thinkpads: X250 | T410 | T42 | 560 (circa 1996)

Thinkpad4by3
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#9 Post by Thinkpad4by3 » Mon May 06, 2019 9:36 pm

w0qj wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 7:10 pm
The X1 Extreme 1st Gen (which I would like to call it X1E1) is confirmed to have a full SD Memory Card slot.
ie: The SD card fits all the way into the X1E1, and fits almost flush against its side.

This is a major attraction; imagine the possibilities such as that spanking new 1 TB SD Card that can fit all your movie/MP3 on it,
right there on your SD Card, always available to your X1E1, and not taking up space on your main SSD!
Well it isn't totally like an SSD. Movies and Music are fine, but remember its an SD card after all, its really only good for Write Once Read Many applications. Start using it for multiple writes(i.e a cache drive) and you'll see how fast it dies. Plus SD cards aren't all that quick for reads and writes compared to SSDs so its best suited to read over a period of time like a movie or music rather than a video game. Definitely not going to object to having the ability to have an extra drive in my PC, but its best to know its limits before expecting too much.

BillMorrow
*Senior* Admin
*Senior* Admin

#10 Post by BillMorrow » Tue May 07, 2019 12:15 am

i use a microSD cards in an SD adapter..
now i'll have to read up on all these cards.. i use some in my drone.. want pix of my roof and my neighbors roof's..? :)

~~~Mark Twain~~~

w0qj
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#11 Post by w0qj » Tue May 07, 2019 11:06 am

Hey, I'm referring to the 1 TB SD card for X1E1 in a tongue in cheek manner!

1 TB SD Card street price is around US$350.
The new SanDisk 1TB Extreme microSDXC UHS-I card (with SD Card adapter) cost US$450.

www.pcworld.com/article/3393234/sandisk ... ricey.html

This above 1 TB SD card as much as a 1 TB M.2-NVMe 2280 SSD!
And SD card prices depreciate much faster than its SSD counterpart.
I believe that the best price/capacity SD Card sweet spot as of today is 256 GB SD Card for video/MP3.

So if you have the cash, it's better to max out both your X1E1 to 4 TB (2TB+2TB), and then try to get a 1 TB SD Card.
And only if you have money to burn ;)
Thinkpad4by3 wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 9:36 pm
Well it isn't totally like an SSD. Movies and Music are fine, but remember its an SD card after all, its really only good for Write Once Read Many applications. Start using it for multiple writes(i.e a cache drive) and you'll see how fast it dies. Plus SD cards aren't all that quick for reads and writes compared to SSDs so its best suited to read over a period of time like a movie or music rather than a video game. Definitely not going to object to having the ability to have an extra drive in my PC, but its best to know its limits before expecting too much.
Last edited by w0qj on Tue May 07, 2019 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Daily Driver: (X1E3) X1 Extreme 3rd Gen | mobile broadband (WWAN)
Current Thinkpads: X1E3 | X1E1 | X1C10 | X1C9 | X1C4 | X1C3 | X230
Retired Thinkpads: X250 | T410 | T42 | 560 (circa 1996)

Thinkpad4by3
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#12 Post by Thinkpad4by3 » Tue May 07, 2019 11:08 am

w0qj wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 11:06 am

So if you have the cash, it's better to max out both your X1E1 to 4 TB (2TB+2TB), and then try to get a 1 TB SD Card.
And only if you have money to burn ;)
I'm going to stick to my T450 with its single 1TB SSD. If I need anything more, I've got 5TB on my desktop. :mrgreen: And If I'd delete my downloads folder every once in a while, I could get away with a 256GB SSD without much hassle.

Now I wouldn't mind having that much cash laying around to burn. :lol:

pkiff

#13 Post by pkiff » Tue May 07, 2019 1:14 pm

BillMorrow wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 1:57 pm
you think an offline account will work when setting up the preload for the first time..?
any intel on how an offline account will affect future updates..?
There shouldn't be any problems getting updates. I have my X1 Carbon Tablet Gen 3 configured with a Local Account instead of a Microsoft Account, and I have not noticed any impact on updates so far.

I also have Microsoft Office 365 installed, using a proper, legal Microsoft license, and I have managed to keep the two accounts separate - I use my Microsoft account for Office, and I use my local non-Microsoft account for Windows 10.

However, there are a couple things in Windows 10 that don't work fully when you use the local Account instead of a Microsoft account:

1. Family user settings
I had to set up another Windows 10 laptop with a Microsoft account in order to take advantage of the "family" features that restrict account privileges for kids using Windows 10.

2. Face ID?
I don't use Face ID, but I do use Windows Hello in order to use the fingerprint reader. I think Face ID may need a Microsoft Account connected to your Windows 10? And it took me a while to figure out how to get Windows Hello to work without configuring Windows 10 with a Microsoft Account. Windows Hello is needed to use Windows 10 native biometric features, including the fingerprint reader.

There may be others.

Phil.
X1E Gen 4 · X1T 3rd Gen · W520 · Legacy: P52, T60p, X61T, 600X, 770Z
Nostalgic for: 600X PIII 850MHz in a SelectaDock III with 64MB Voodoo 5 5500 and Sound Blaster Audigy 5.1.

BillMorrow
*Senior* Admin
*Senior* Admin

#14 Post by BillMorrow » Thu May 09, 2019 2:31 am

the face id on the X1 extreme is working.. not sure if it works under win10.. all this new cr@p is a PITA..
like new(er) cars with TV screens in place of a dash panel and honest knobs and switches you can use muscle memory to find without taking your eyes off the d@mn road..
i am now having yearnings for my '59 caddy convertible (want pix, i found some!).. or maybe my '49 chevy that could barely make it up wolf grade in marin so many generations past..
a simple car that does what it does and nothing more and needs no phonebook (remember those!) size manual..
[rant over]

the X1 is a nifty thinkpad.. still working on how to break it to my wife person.. :bow:

i think i'll see how this all works using a throwaway email to set up the M$ and lenovo accounts..
family user.. the birds don't need that and continued sanity speak to NOT having my wife as a member of any 'family' account for anything.. :roll:
she killed a nice T60 by letting ransomware into the HDD.. it now gathers dust someplace.. i should give it to someone.. maybe a mod or admin.. OH!, no other admins have been here for a long time.. so, just a mod..

the lenovo vantage seems to work ok.. different from the older version though..

still trying to set it all up..
then i learn from youtube that these M.2 SSD'd come in varying flavors.. PCIe, NVMe, yadda yadda which all adds up to $$ and blazing speed..

thanks for the hints, keep 'em coming.. though i can attest to the fact that age = a mushy brain..

~~~Mark Twain~~~

dr_st
Admin
Admin

#15 Post by dr_st » Thu May 09, 2019 6:51 am

BillMorrow wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 2:31 am
she killed a nice T60 by letting ransomware into the HDD.. it now gathers dust someplace.. i should give it to someone.. maybe a mod or admin.. OH!, no other admins have been here for a long time.. so, just a mod..
Heh. My somehow let some crypto ransomware onto my T60 HDD while I was on sabbatical a couple of years ago... Didn't kill the system, though - just had to restore everything from a backup.
Thinkpad 25 (20K7), T490 (20N3), Yoga 14 (20FY), T430s (IPS FHD + Classic Keyboard), X220 4291-4BG
X61 7673-V2V, T60 2007-QPG, T42 2373-F7G, X32 (IPS Screen), A31p w/ Ultrabay Numpad

BillMorrow
*Senior* Admin
*Senior* Admin

#16 Post by BillMorrow » Thu May 09, 2019 6:04 pm

i would have just reloaded win7 on the T60 but i had a nice h/p with a ultrabright display i got from a local pawn shop for $200..
so that and a copy of ESET ESS now called internet security and all has been ok for about 5 years..

now with the X1 extreme i got enthusiastic and tried again to boot an X1C gen 2 that had refused all my password attempts on both its normal SSD and its alternate SSD..
could not figure THAT one out..
so i tried a win10 SSD from the X1C gen 3 and after some hesitation it finally gave me win10 with the correct drivers for the gen 2.. so far..
the h/p is ok but its keyboard really sucks so changes are afoot..
but this time with the ESET internet security.. :)

~~~Mark Twain~~~

Dragunov
Freshman Member

#17 Post by Dragunov » Fri May 24, 2019 9:26 pm

w0qj wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 7:10 pm

BillMorrow wrote:
...a few initial thoughts on this X1 extreme thinkpad..
...the X1C E just builds on the X1 series.. it dazzles me so far with the super nice 4K display and the return of the thinkpad soft finish..
NOTE:
...i always go for the top model, touch screen, densest display and matte if offered..
...it was a refurb on amazon..
still wrestling with win10...
+1 on the SDcard. I use a 128gb SDcard that fits flush on my T440p, and my W540. They are my "Downloads" folder, and where I have all my temporary files routed to (I like to keep these off my SSD's).

BillMorrow
*Senior* Admin
*Senior* Admin

#18 Post by BillMorrow » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:55 am

an interesting hidden little surprise is the X1C E1 preload, which, when cloned to the correct SSD that fits my X1C3 hands me a working win10 with all the new jim-dandy holy mother of god stuff present on the X1C E1..!
of course it took some reloading of the correct drivers for these two (i also did it to the SSD for the X1C2) to finally work, so far, correctly.. :)

~~~Mark Twain~~~