Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Win XP 32 bit on X41 with KingSpec 128GB SSD

X2/X3/X4x series specific matters only
PAL_Thailand

Win XP 32 bit on X41 with KingSpec 128GB SSD

#1 Post by PAL_Thailand » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:06 pm

Hello X41 Lovers!

I've been in touch via PM with a Win XP Guru who suggested our discussion would be more appropriate on this specialized X41 forum. We worked out how to get the original Win XP OS iso disks downloaded for refurbishing the original software and recovery partition on my X41. We are now ready to install the 9 iso discs on the X41. I'll be posting very soon a PIC of my setup's partitions for further discussion. Hope the continuing discussion will be useful to other X41 users. :)

Regards,
Peter in Thailand

PAL_Thailand

Re: Win XP 32 bit on X41 with KingSpec 128GB SSD [*PIC*]

#2 Post by PAL_Thailand » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:20 pm

Here are the details of my X41 system with its KingSpec SSD & external WD Elements HDD attached:

https://imgur.com/gallery/BYlruw2

Peter in Thailand

PAL_Thailand

Re: Win XP 32 bit on X41 with KingSpec 128GB SSD

#3 Post by PAL_Thailand » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:31 pm

As there are 9 separate isos to be installed, would it be realistic to place those 9 isos on my WDElements 2TB external HDD and have the X41 boot directly from that external HDD rather than from an USB thumb drive?

Just wondering! I'm often intrigued by the myriad possibilities that technology provides these days.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#4 Post by RealBlackStuff » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:05 am

No, those old(er) Recovery isos need to be installed via an external CD/DVD drive, in either Ultrabase or via USB.
You may be able to boot from the first iso with a USB stick, but that's it.
All others MUST be CD, and it's highly advisable to use CDR disks, not CDRW.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (the Real Black Stuff). And pigs CAN fly!
Check out The Boardroom for Parts, Mods and Other Services.

"Computers don't lie, but liars can compute." (Terry Hayes's I Am Pilgrim)

axur-delmeria
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#5 Post by axur-delmeria » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:15 am

I've read somewhere a few years back that there's a special USB HDD enclosure that allows one to boot different disk images stored in the HDD. I don't know the name of said product, or if it still exists.
Daily driver: X220 4291-C91 i7-2620M

Backup: X601 Core 2 Duo T8100
Toy: X60F Core Solo U1300
On loan: X220 4291-P79 i5-2520M
In pieces: two retired but working X61Ts
RIP: 760XD 9546-U9E; X61 7676-A24; and a BOE-Hydis HV121P01-100 in failed SXGA+ mod
:cry:

PAL_Thailand

#6 Post by PAL_Thailand » Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:58 am

ATTN: RealBlackStuff

OK! I'll go buy a stack of CDR in town and begin the process of using Rufus to burn each of the 9 iso files separately.

Then the program gets moving along. Thanks for the input.

PAL_Thailand

#7 Post by PAL_Thailand » Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:59 am

It's good to have the experts at hand. It makes life so much easier for the neophytes!

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#8 Post by RealBlackStuff » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:47 am

Instead of Rufus, use ImgBurn instead: https://www.imgburn.com/
Rufus is for making bootable USB-sticks.

PAL_Thailand

#9 Post by PAL_Thailand » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:59 pm

The BIG day finally arrived. The 9 iso files individually numbered 1 to 9 had been downloaded as:
41R8453-1.iso 403,632 KB, i.e. my Disc #1,
42J8406-2.iso 716,266 KB, i.e. my Disc #2,
42J8431-3.iso 710,282 KB, i.e. my Disc #3,
42J8456-4.iso 712,046 KB, i.e. my Disc #4,
42J8481-5,iso 408,878 KB, i.e. my Disc #5,
42J8506-6.iso 473,844 KB, i.e. my Disc #6,
42J8531-7,iso 586,320 KB, i.e. my Disc #7,
42J8556-8.iso 163,024 KB, i.e. my Disc #8,
41X4112-9.iso 118,596 KB, i.e. my Disc #9.

These iso files had been burned (not with Rufus) to DVD-R discs (because this type was the same price as regular CD-R discs). The KingSpec SSD had replaced the ThinkPad’s Hitachi HDD. The ThinkPad’s BIOS was set to boot from CD and the external LG Slim Portable DVD Writer was connected to the ThinkPad. And so I had nothing else to do but switch on the ThinkPad.

As soon as the message “ThinkVantage Technologies – Rescue and Recovery 3 V3.01.1033” appeared, I said to myself “Wow! It’s going to happen; my ThinkPad is finally going to get itself refurbished to its original factory condition.” I sat back and eagerly began reading the information presented on the monitor:

‘System services starting’, ‘Waiting for services to finish initializing’, ‘Welcome to Rescue and Recovery’. An ‘Introduction to Rescue and Recovery’ had lots to read:
1) Recovery Overview
2) Rescue files
3) Restore your system
4) Create migration file

Eventually I chose ‘Restore your system’ which advised that I had 3 options:
1) Restore my entire hard drive, including personal data and settings, since the last backup.
2) Restore only the Windows operating system and applications from a backup.
3) Restore my hard drive to the original factory state.

What to do? There was no backup and never had been a backup! So I opted for option #3 – thinking that would get me back to square one and hopefully making the “Access IBM” button able to find the IBM recovery partition which never existed on either the original Hitachi HDD nor on the SSD.

A “Predesktop Installer” started and copied many files to the SSD before restarting the machine.

With no input from me, the machine restarted and a “Product Recovery” window popped up with the message: “If you have a Product Recovery Supplementary Disk, insert it into Drive D and press ‘Enter’” with ‘Yes’ and ‘No’ buttons.

Hhmmm… Disc #1 was already in the drive. Soooo, I pressed ‘Yes’ and selected the next disc from my 9-disc set and slipped it into the DVD writer. Up came another “Product Recovery” window message saying “This is not the correct disc. Please remove the disc and press OK.” with a single “OK” button.

At this point, I figured something was wrong and decided to abort the whole process to start again. On the second time around, when asked “If you have a ‘Product Recovery Supplemental Disk’, insert it now. If ‘Yes’, insert Disk #2; if ‘No’, press ‘Enter’ to continue.” This time I pressed ‘No’ and another “Product Recovery” window told me to “Insert Product Recovery Disc 1 into Drive D.” with ‘OK’ and ‘Cancel’ buttons. I inserted disc #2 into the DVD writer and pressed ‘OK’. Disc #2 was accepted as Disc 1!

After that, the program continued on asking for Disc 2 to Disc 7.

During this process,
my Disc #2 was accepted as Product Recovery Disc 1,
my Disc #3 was accepted as Product Recovery Disc 2,
my Disc #4 was accepted as Product Recovery Disc 3,
my Disc #5 was accepted as Product Recovery Disc 4,
my Disc #6 was accepted as Product Recovery Disc 5,
my Disc #7 was accepted as Product Recovery Disc 6,
my Disc #8 was accepted as Product Recovery Disc 7.

My Disc #9 was never requested!!!!!

Finally, another “Product Recovery” window told me that it was “Recovering your system, this may take several minutes.” It actually took a total of six minutes and 13 seconds; the machine restarted itself again with any intervention from me.

Another process, “Factory Preinstallation” proceeded and installed to the desktop the following:
1) Agilix GoBinder,
2) Thinkvantage Productivity Center,
3) Symantec Client Security,
4) Internet Explorer V6.0.2900.2180.xpsp.050301-1521 for SP2,
5) Windows Media Player.

It converted a FAT32 file system to C:\NTFS and restarted the system once more. And lo and behold, “MS Windows XP Tablet PC Edition” started up on my ThinkPad.

The Client Security Setup Wizard (Standard) took me through the setting up process of taking my fingerprints, requesting passwords, assigning no private disk for each user (as I am the ONLY user), accepting Rescue and Recovery’s use of the Client Security to encrypt backups and storing that information away for future use.

At this point, the Rescue and Recovery process seemed completed and I detached the DVD Writer from the ThinkPad. A brief tour of the system showed a few anomalies:
The system showed:
Drive C: as Drive C:,
a detachable storage device (the CD) as Drive: D, and
Drive F: as the DATA drive (should normally be Drive D: !).

I attempted to use the Internet Explorer to connect to the Internet, but IE V6 couldn’t find the server so I was unable to connect to the Internet even though my router should it was up and connected.

I copied via thumb drive several files from another machine to supplement some applications to the ThinkPad, but was unable to “run” them as the “run” command accepted which file to “run” but did not actually do anything. At this point I switched off the ThinkPad thinking to return to it the next day to continue fine-tuning it according to my needs.

Today, another BIG surprise as I switched on the ThinkPad this morning! The IBM ThinkPad logo screen popped up as usual. Then the Microsoft Windows XP splash screen popped up as usual, but that was followed by a brief Windows message screen announcing: “autochk program not found - skipping AUTOCHECK”, followed by new completely blue screen with the message:

“STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error}
The Session Manager Initialization system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of
0xc000003a (0x00000000 0x00000000).
The system has been shut down.”

So now, it seems I’m faced with a different kind of problem and require and kindly request your kind assistance on how to proceed. Curious as I am, I decided to switch the ThinkPad off, then back on to change the BIOS boot priority to -USB HDD so that I could use my XenialPup thumb drive to see what would happen. XenialPup promptly started up as it should showing these 4 icons in its bottom left screen of available drives:
sda1, sda2, sda3, sdb1 (presumably Windows Drive C:, Drive F:, the IBM Recovery area and the thumb drive).

But a lot of good that does me with the above “STOP {Fatal System Error}” above.

I’m also still puzzled as to why the Rescue & Recovery software did not ask for my Disk #9 of the downloaded iso files. Could it be that iso #1 (with the file name 41R8453-1.iso) and iso #9 (with the name 41X4112-9.iso) are related as “Product Recovery Supplemental” discs?

I am now elated to know that the 9 iso discs worked their magic, but also deflated that the whole operation seems to be in limbo due to the “STOP {Fatal System Error}”. Your assistance is urgently required. Many thanks for coming to the rescue.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#10 Post by RealBlackStuff » Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:46 am

You have to rename/re-number your discs:
#1 = R&R (boot disc)
#2 = disc1
#3 = disc2
#4 = disc3
#5 = disc4
#6 = disc5
#7 = disc6
#8 = disc7
#9 = Supplementary disc

Error 3A: SYSTEM_UNWIND_PREVIOUS_USER
"Old" info is no longer available: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previo ... v=msdn.10)
See if this helps with your blue screen: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... een-errors

PAL_Thailand

#11 Post by PAL_Thailand » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:09 am

Many thanks for the swift reply. Given the original disc numeration had no explanatory text along with the set, I can see why I inserted the discs in the wrong order except for the very first one which started the whole Rescue and Recovery process. Now that I have some names attached to all 9 discs, I'll redo the whole process first -- which hopefully will automatically eliminate the two blue screen errors.

Will report tomorrow on how the second time around R&R process moved along using the re-numbered discs as advised. Again thank you very much!

onespeedbiker
Sophomore Member

#12 Post by onespeedbiker » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:04 pm

The, STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error}.... error is almost always caused by an incompatible driver. My guess is one or more of the files you thought had not loaded, did load and destabilized your OS. Next time, after XP boots for the first time, reboot several more times before you start adding software. This will give the Safe Mode menu a Last successful boot option if you run into this problem again. BTW, did you try to boot you X41 after it failed to boot and you received the error. Usually if you reboot, it will take you to the Safe Mode/ CMD/ Last Successful Boot menu. I don't know if so soon after the first boot it retained Last Successful Boot, but it is worth checking (BTW it's usually f8 to get the Safe Mode menu).

PAL_Thailand

#13 Post by PAL_Thailand » Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:02 am

Dear 41X Users,

I have gone through the installation a second time with a re-numbered and text-added info set of burned isos. While the second installation has not completed itself without some long pauses and several quirks, it has produced a working Win XP on my IBM ThinkPad X41, which I am now using to write this short update. The R&R set was not created to access the Internet via a wireless connection and Internet Explorer seems to never be able to find a DNS server.

To remedy that, I have downloaded an earlier version of Firefox which simply connected to the Internet likety-split.

I shall make external notes of onespeedbiker's suggestions for the future. But right now, I don't recall exactly how I proceeded the first time around so I cannot answer your questions.

The previous blue Windows error screen did not appear AND the STOP error did not occur either after this 2nd installation. Progress indeed! Apparently the 9-set of isos came only with SP2 so I am looking to upgrade to SP3 shortly. If there are some caveats about such an operation, I would be happy to learn about them before I attempt to upgrade to SP3.

I'm a Happy Camper right now, but there's plenty of fine tuning that still needs to be done.

olex126

#14 Post by olex126 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:01 am

See my post here for updating Win XP to SP3:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=129214&p=837118#p837118

Download Version 9.1 (from the sidebar), burn to a disk and let it run.

Will update to SP3, update Internet Explorer, and install the all the security patches issued by Microsoft.

Regards.

Dave
Previous Thinkpads: 701C A22m A30/A31p T23p x2 T30 T41 X31 various 750's 760's & 390's.

DD's & Test Benches: X41T, X60T & X61T's, various T42p-T43p's, x200 x201 x220T x230 T520 W530 T601F LED (X9000/8Gb/250SSD/W7 U)

"Life Is A Journey...Enjoy The Ride!"