Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Dead A30 - Any suggestion?

R, A, G and Z series specific matters only. NOT for AMD-Ryzen.
EngiNerd_IT

Dead A30 - Any suggestion?

#1 Post by EngiNerd_IT » Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:06 am

Hello everybody,
This is my first post, as I have only recently found this very informative forum.

A few weeks ago, I was given a ThinkPad A30 that is apparently dead. More in detail, when I press the power button, nothing happens: no LED turns on, nor there is any fan noise. Given the symptoms, I have disassembled it and I have tried powering it up with a lab bench power supply. By doing so I have noticed that, when I switch on the power supply, the laptop starts absorbing 0.16A, so there is some component that is being powered. Doing further inspections, I have noticed that the power management controller chip, a Maxim MAX1631AEAI, gets quite hot. The same behavior occurs both by powering the laptop through the 16V barrel jack socket, and using the battery terminals (in this case supplying 10.7V). I have read here and in other websites that the A3x line has the infamous mainboard flexing issue, so this issue could also be caused by a short circuit between PCB layers.

That said, I was wondering if anybody else has got an A30 with the same symptoms and (s)he managed to repair the mainboard. If so, is the MAX1631AEAI the faulty chip, or is another defective component/shorted trace that causes that chip to overheat?

Thank you for your attention.

Vanythe

Re: Dead A30 - Any suggestion?

#2 Post by Vanythe » Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:37 pm

I managed to fix a different laptop (Acer Aspire) which had a similar problem by unplugging every component then trying to turn on the machine and find out the culprit. On that laptop, it was the physical quick-launch keys causing some kind of a short and the machine would refuse to even power up.