Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

More G555 nonsense; Looking for advice

E.g. 3000, IdeaPad, S- and U-Series, B-Series and so on...
onespeedbiker
Sophomore Member

More G555 nonsense; Looking for advice

#1 Post by onespeedbiker » Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:31 pm

Okay, I acquired a G555 cheapline computer and I just couldn't let it go. Originally the problem was it would not boot; the initial problems were the AC adapter was doa and so the was the battery. Once I got a working adapter of the right voltage, I could get the computer to boot, but it could take 10 cycles of pushing the power button, no boot, holding down the power button until it turned off and then restarting again; usually the hdd led would weakly blink when the power button was pressed, but would not engage (unless it decided to boot after multiple tries). Also, during this procedure the power led would be on, along with the fan running, (and you could feel the heat from the CPU) along with the DVD player LED blinking, but not the hdd. This not booting is common with these cheaper Lenovo laptops and while many attribute this to a GPU chip damaged by heat, in this case the fact the hdd was not running, made be believe it might be the something else. What I was thinking was it appeared as if the PC was was trying to boot in a sleep mode, as if the lid was still closed . I changed the power setting to do nothing when the lid was closed, and while it does not start on the first try, it now always boots on the second try. I have a refurbished mother board I picked up for $20, but I'm wondering now if problem is in the MB, or perhaps in the lid sensor I believe sits on top the lcd. Any opinions would be welcome.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: More G555 nonsense; Looking for advice

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:21 am

Advice: dump it and don't waste any more money on it.

If you take the HDD out, can it then boot straight into e.g. BIOS?
It's main problem though is the AMD CPU that runs way too hot, did you refresh thermal paste already?
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)

onespeedbiker
Sophomore Member

#3 Post by onespeedbiker » Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:28 pm

I'm there. I'm realizing it is just a waste of effort. Off to the recycler it goes.

onespeedbiker
Sophomore Member

#4 Post by onespeedbiker » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:20 am

When I wrote the above I was reassembling this computer after I discovered I had mis-routed the power cable and some wires for a small plug coming from the LCD, broke; while I thought they were important I later checked out the plug and it turned out it was just the camera. Then a strange thing happened, the computer has not failed to boot since (I threw in a cheap ssd and the G555 is fast enough for surfing the web). At this point I figure, if it's working don't fix it.