Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

[Resolved] T440p Screen upgrade issue on windows ( picture )

T430-T490, T530-T590 Series
Xeros

[Resolved] T440p Screen upgrade issue on windows ( picture )

#1 Post by Xeros » Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:11 am

Hi everyone !

I recently bought a T440p and so i'm new in the thinkpad community ! It was already upgraded with a i7-4710MQ, 16go ram etc but the screen was still the original and I was able to replace it with a beautiful N140HCE-EN1 rev.C2 that I bought on Ebay. I've had an issue while rebooting on windows though. I could not find a similar issue on the forum, so I'm sorry if I missed it !

Here is the issue : After windows has loaded ( so when the desktop is shown ), the screen goes back to 1600x900, not scaled on the entire screen, but rather it only takes 1600x900 pixels of the screen, leaving the rest with 2 black bands on the right & bottom of the screen. I would not be so scare if those pixels stayed black, but it seems the working part of the screen "bleeds" on those pixels and i'm afraid it's hurting the screen as it stays for a few minutes after rebooting on linux. ( the screen works wonderfully on fedora )

I got a picture that will be a bit more explicit :
https://imgur.com/a/64JwdWT

I tried uninstalling the monitor drivers from the device manager and re-installing them after rebooting but it keeps installing the old ones ( "LCD 1600x900" ) and I don't want to stay too long on windows as I think it is hurting the screen. I don't seem to be able to find a similar issue on the internet or with a solution other than "uninstall then re-install the drivers", so I'm hoping you guys could help me, as you have much more experience than me in upgrading a thinkpad laptop and the issues than could come from it !

Thanks a lot for reading : )
Last edited by Xeros on Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: T440p Screen upgrade issue on windows ( picture )

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:21 pm

Make sure you have the new drivers downloaded.
Go to Control panel/programs and UNinstall the Intel (and/or nVidia) gfx driver, do not reboot if asked.
Next go into Device manager, click on Display adapters, rightclick on Intel (and/or nVidia), click on uninstall and when asked confirm to delete drivers.
Reboot and when asked go to the new drivers to install them.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)

thelash
Freshman Member

#3 Post by thelash » Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:03 pm

Hi there, I've just installed a N140HCE-EN1 rev.C4 in my T440p with Intel plus GT730M graphics. Pulled the 1366x768 screen and booted up with the new screen without uninstalling the monitor drivers, and got a screen very similar to yours with the windows desktop occupying less space than on your screen and vertical bars beneath. On checking in settings, the only options I had under resolution were 1366x768 and lesser. SO I did what I've had to do twice when installing FHD adaptor and ips screen into a T420s and then a T430 - make sure the screen is recognized in bios before doing anything in windows as follows:

I then shut down and booted into bios - CONFIG - DISPLAY - Boot Display Device. This opens a list with 4 options, the top one being "Thinkpad LCD." This option should be highlighted. Nevertheless, I scrolled down the list and back up and re highlighted "Thinkpad LCD." Exit, save and reboot. This time I had 1920x1080 in all its IPS glory. Really is a great screen. However, device manager gave me "generic pnp screen" under monitor. Running driver update under device manager kept coming back with 'the best drivers for this device are already installed' or something like that.
DId a search on Lenovo site and found this monitor driver: https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/py/en/prod ... s/ds103610. This installs a folder under C:\DRIVERS\WIN called MONITOR containing a driver which must be installed via device manager: Double click Monitors, double click whatever is under there - in my case, generic pnp monitor, go to update driver and click on 'let me pick from a list of available drivers... should see generic pnp monitor listed. Under have disk, browse to the MONITOR folder you have just installed and go from there. You will be offered a whole list of resolution options, scroll down and pick "wide viewing angle and high density flexview display 1920x1080. This should do the trick.
I think that the monitor would probably be fine left as generic pnp, but you may not have ability to do colour management etc. I'm not sure. And it is a bit niggly to have generic pnp listed as your device when you've just shelled out good money for an FHD ips screen isn't it??
Finally, if this all works, if you again click on driver update, Windows will offer to put the generic pnp driver back in - I tried it and had to go through above install again. @#*&$ windows...
T430 ips, T440p.

thelash
Freshman Member

#4 Post by thelash » Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:07 pm

Just to clarify: all the update stuff I did was via device manager only, not windows settings. I did not do anything with display adaptor drivers, only monitor driver.
T430 ips, T440p.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#5 Post by RealBlackStuff » Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:16 am

Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)

Xeros

#6 Post by Xeros » Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:05 am

Thanks, but unfortunatly I think it's not that eas.... darn it worked ! I feel a bit dumb for not having uninstalled those drivers before ... Thanks a lot, it's a lot better now hehe. I also have the same issue than thelash with the generic plug and play monitor drivers, so i'll also do what you both said ^^ Ima enjoy this beautiful display now !

Xeros

Re: [Resolved] T440p Screen upgrade issue on windows ( picture )

#7 Post by Xeros » Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:34 am

I marked the title as resolved : )