Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

how to physically disable T400 lid sensor(s)?

T400/T410/T420 and T500/T510/T520 Series
GNUser

how to physically disable T400 lid sensor(s)?

#1 Post by GNUser » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:40 am

I have a T400 laptop on which I run various GNU/Linux distributions. I need help to *completely* physically disable the laptop's lid switch/Hall effect sensor(s).

The trouble is that my tests lead me to believe that the laptop has two lid sensors, but I can only locate one.

I've found that taping a tiny magnet just above the bluetooth LED disables a lid sensor: Without the magnet, the output of the command below is "open" or "closed" depending on whether the lid is open or closed; with the magnet in place, the output of the command below always "closed" (even when lid is physically open):

Code: Select all

$ cat /proc/acpi/button/lid/LID/state 
state:      closed
So far so good.

Here is where it gets weird: Even with the magnet in place, xscreensaver only kicks in when the lid is physically open, partly closed, or almost closed. If the lid is fully closed, xscreensaver absolutely never kicks in. This makes me think that there must be a separate sensor elsewhere, but for the life of me I can't find it. I've used multiple magnets and have moved them around practically everywhere (on and around the display, on and around the keyboard, everywhere around the palm rest, around the hinges). No matter where I put additional magnets, xscreensaver consistently kicks in only when lid is open, never when lid is closed.

I'd like to *completely* physically disable the T400 lid switch sensor, so that all applications behave exactly the same way regardless of whether the lid is physically open or closed.

Please, where are the lid sensor(s) on the T400? How do I completely disable them?

thinkpadcollection

Re: how to physically disable T400 lid sensor(s)?

#2 Post by thinkpadcollection » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:38 pm

Only one sensor for closed when magnet is next to this turns LCD off.

To disable, take the bezel off the LCD lid and locate the magnet and simply take it out. Put bezel back on. This will meet your needs. Or in the keyboard bezel assembly, takes HMM document to disassemble this T400 to find the magnet.

Cheers, thinkpadcollection.

GNUser

#3 Post by GNUser » Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:03 pm

I discovered that the lid switch sensor I had found (above bluetooth LED) is the only one. Applications that wait for system to be idle were not kicking in while lid is shut because of random touchpad activity that occurs when the lid is closed and screen is close to the touchpad.

The secret was the following:

1. Disable the lid switch
Either by sticking a little refrigerator magnet just above the bluetooth LED or, via software, with this:

Code: Select all

sudo sh -c 'echo PNP0C0D:00 >/sys/bus/acpi/drivers/button/unbind'
sudo sh -c 'echo PNP0C0E:00 >/sys/bus/acpi/drivers/button/unbind'
AND

2. Disable the touchpad
By unplugging its ribbon below the palmrest. Trackpoint and its three buttons (just below the spacebar) work just fine with the touchpad's ribbon disconnected.

Now all applications behave exactly the same way, regardless of whether laptop lid is open or closed.

shawross

#4 Post by shawross » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:36 pm

GNUser wrote:2. Disable the touchpad
By unplugging its ribbon below the palmrest. Trackpoint and its three buttons (just below the spacebar) work just fine with the touchpad's ribbon disconnected.
Trackpad can be disabled in the Bios which happens to every Thinkpad that I own.
Active --- Love the X series
X301 W 7/Mint | X201 540M L Mint | X220 2520 W7/Mint

Nostalgia
X61 T7500 / T41 T42 T43 / A31

Rogue daily driver - Samsung RV511 15.6 " Screen - W 7

GNUser

#5 Post by GNUser » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:05 pm

"Trackpad"? There's a Trackpoint and Touchpad, no "Trackpad". Touchpad was the bad guy here, generating random input when lid is closed.

Agreed that disabling Touchpad in BIOS is a great alternative to unplugging the ribbon. However, I use Libreboot instead of BIOS; alas, Libreboot does not have the option of disabling the Touchpad.

dr_st
Admin
Admin

#6 Post by dr_st » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:09 pm

GNUser wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:05 pm
"Trackpad"? There's a Trackpoint and Touchpad, no "Trackpad".
"Trackpad" is commonly used as a synonym to "touchpad".
Thinkpad 25 (20K7), T490 (20N3), Yoga 14 (20FY), T430s (IPS FHD + Classic Keyboard), X220 4291-4BG
X61 7673-V2V, T60 2007-QPG, T42 2373-F7G, X32 (IPS Screen), A31p w/ Ultrabay Numpad

Ignorant
Freshman Member

#7 Post by Ignorant » Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:32 am

THis post may be in wrong place..but it is nearest to what i was looking for.
I paid a queens ransom and got my t400 working again......
The strip lights on (bottom of the lcd ,just above the keyboard) do NOT blink...any of them...
The laptop works fine otherwise.
any suggestions....documentations ....
does any verson of linux support the graphics chip on my t400 (p 8400 , WXGA +) which is probably a 3470... :
:x

Ignorant
Freshman Member

#8 Post by Ignorant » Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:35 am

Cheers, thinkpadcollection.
dear where are the documents which describe the lcd sensors.? :oops: