Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

No backlight on T560?

T430 and later, plus T530 and later series specific matters only
unilock

No backlight on T560?

#1 Post by unilock » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:24 pm

Hey folks.
I recently bought a ThinkPad T560 as "untested, for parts". When it did finally arrive, I found that it wouldn't turn on... because the power button cable wasn't inserted. I thought that was funny.

Unfortunately, this wasn't the only issue -- or maybe it was, initially, and my lack of precautions when opening the machine wreaked more havoc -- as when powering on the machine, the LCD backlight would not come on (though an image could still, faintly, be seen on the display).
Doing some research online, I figured that one of the fuses related to the LCD must have blown; either from the previous owner mishandling the machine, or from me. In any case, I wasn't able to find info on which fuse(s) would be appropriate to test, nor was I able to find schematics for the motherboard. I was, however, able to find an appropriate boardview file, and thus was able to test every single fuse in the laptop.
I've since come to the conclusion that the following fuses are blown:
F2602 (near LCD connector; likely the culprit of my backlight woes)
F2604 (near subwoofer connector; I'm not really sure whether it's necessary for me to replace this?)

Before going any further and risking blowing up my LCD or something, I was hoping to get some advice on what to do next. Would it make sense for F2602 to be the culprit here? Is there any place in repairing F2604 as well? (I'm not really sure what it does.) Would it be safe to short these fuses as a temporary solution, while waiting for replacements to arrive? Is there anything else I should check before attempting to work on these fuses, to assure that they're really what's at fault?

Thanks much.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: No backlight on T560?

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:25 am

You measure the fuse with a multimeter for continuity.
If it beeps, it's OK, if not, it's blown.
Instead of replacing it, piggyback solder the new one on top of it.
Usually backlight fuses are 3A, 32V, Fast and are marked with a letter P on it.
I would not 'bridge' a blown fuse, you don't know what else might get destroyed further on! (unless you don't care...)

Based on position, F2602 could well be the backlight fuse.
No idea about F2604, but if you have the dexterity to fix it, why not?
Make sure to order a few fuses, not just 1.
Before you begin, make sure to always remove and/or physically disconnect all batteries and charger.
If you forget, you blow that fuse if you play with or remove the LCD-cable.

If you need T560 schematics, I found one for sale here: http://laptop-schematics.com/view/11156/
(no connection to seller)
Still NOT a great day for a Guinness! (the Real Black Stuff).
Ireland is on FULL lockdown until Easter 2021!
Covid-19: Stay safe, so Mask it or Casket!

unilock

#3 Post by unilock » Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:25 pm

@RealBlackStuff

Indeed, the silkscreened text near the fuse reads "F2602: 3A/32V", and the fuse itself does bear a "P". How nice of Lenovo to tell me which part I need to buy.
As further proof, the boardview shows that this fuse is connected to the four VBL20 pins on the LCD connector, which I assume are what carry power to the LCD backlight.
Guess I'll be ordering a couple fuses. Maybe some flux, too, so I don't accidentally tear the pads off the board again.

Also, I was wrong -- F2604 is connected to the camera cable, not a subwoofer (which I don't think is a feature of this ThinkPad anyway). I think I'll leave it alone for now; I don't really use the webcam anyway, assuming it's not working because of this blown fuse.

In terms of schematics: thanks for the link, but there's no way in hell I'm paying $20 for something I'm certain the seller stole anyway. (Also, unrelated, but here's the same schematic with a bit more information in its description.)
I'll just have to hope that it's only the fuse that's broken here, and there isn't some other faulty component further up the circuit that's causing trouble.

unilock

#4 Post by unilock » Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:54 pm

After many months, I finally got the supplies together to replace the backlight fuse on my T560.
So I did.

After reassembling the laptop and attempting to boot it, however, I found that the backlight still wasn't working. Shame shame.
Indeed, testing the new fuse again shows that it's blown, when I swear it wasn't prior to reassembling the machine.
So either there's something else wrong with the laptop (possible, since the fuse near the camera connector was also blown), or I'm just stupid (much more likely).

Anyway. Do you know of any place I can get this "professionally" repaired without making my wallet weep?
Thanks.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#5 Post by RealBlackStuff » Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:01 am

Since you are in NY, there's none better than Louis Rossmann, even if he is (theoretically) a Macbook-fixer.
https://www.rossmanngroup.com/
141 W 27th St, New York, NY 10001
Give them a call.
Still NOT a great day for a Guinness! (the Real Black Stuff).
Ireland is on FULL lockdown until Easter 2021!
Covid-19: Stay safe, so Mask it or Casket!

unilock

#6 Post by unilock » Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:14 pm

Sorry for the misinformation; I actually live in Tega Cay, SC. I've adjusted my profile accordingly (I'm not sure why I set it incorrectly in the first place).

Nonetheless, after attempting and failing to replace the fuse a second time, I sent an email to the coveted Rossmann Repair Group. Unfortunately, they don't do ThinkPad repairs.
Fortunately, they were able to recommend me to https://www.newhitech.net/, which is a general computer repair shop that also has a mail-in service. I suppose that's where I'll end up sending my laptop if I can't find someplace more local.

Thanks anyway for the recommendation. I'll keep you posted.

FINAL EDIT: Well, well, well. It's been about 4½ months. Here's what happened:
1. I tried replacing the backlight fuse <i>a third time.</i> I think. This may or may not have actually happened. Regardless, it didn't work.
2. I sold the entire motherboard. Turns out I forgot to mention the backlight didn't work and had to issue a refund. But at least I learned it wasn't a machine-specific problem... or did I?
3. I bought a new motherboard off AliExpress for $60. What a deal, am I right? Well, that didn't fix the issue either, so I guess the issue was with either the display or its cable all along.
4. I sold the whole darn thing. The entire ThinkPad. Goodbye, T560! Let someone love you like I never could.

Thus ends my story of misery. Thanks for all the help, RealBlackStuff. Shame I couldn't figure this out after all.