Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

T400 Software/Drivers and Switchable Graphics

T400/T410/T420 and T500/T510/T520 series specific matters only
someuser_nm19

T400 Software/Drivers and Switchable Graphics

#1 Post by someuser_nm19 » Sat May 16, 2020 6:32 pm

I just got a score on eBay and got a parts T400 for 27$ and I upgraded the CPU and RAM. And threw in an SSD and I love it so much. But lenovo has ended support for it and its hard to get the proper drivers. Most of the function keys won't work, I can't get the switchable graphics to work, I have to go to the BIOS and change between the integrated and the ATI graphics. And is there a battery management software for these? I'd appreciate any help you guys can give.
Thanks for your time.

jaarens

Re: T400 Software/Drivers and Switchable Graphics

#2 Post by jaarens » Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:56 pm

I have a ThinkPad T400 running Windows 10 that I've owned since it was new. I like it for its compact size and solid feel.
It's lightening fast.
With Windows 10. Most features work but you'll need the HotKeys, UltraNav and Fingerprint Reader drivers. You won't find them listed as Windows 10 drivers, so you'll need to look for Win 8 or Win 7 drivers. For the fingerprint reader, if you have one, you can use the AuthenTec driver from Dell https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us ... erId=DFDJ9
The UltraNav and Hotkeys drivers are from Lenovo.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#3 Post by RealBlackStuff » Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:34 am

No-longer-supported drivers etc. can be found here: https://download.lenovo.com/eol/index.html
Still NOT a great day for a Guinness! (the Real Black Stuff).
Ireland's lockdown reduced to Level 3 [do not leave your own County] till January 2021!
Covid-19: Mask it or Casket!
Check out The Boardroom for Mods and Other Services.

Natakranta
Freshman Member

#4 Post by Natakranta » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:59 pm

I did a clean W10 new 2004 install on T400 (with ATI card) and it was fine straight after booting, working ok till I connected to WiFi and windows started downloading updates, screen blinked black, returned to desktop but system UI remain frozen.
I gave it like 20 minutes hoping it will finish whatever update it is doing, but it never came back to responsiveness.
I did hard reboot and then windows never managed to boot.
Any hints what to do after fresh W10 install but before W10 updates to prevent it from crushing?
Do I need to install some W7 driver?

For the moment I gave up on installing W10 on this T400 and installed Linux Mint 20 Cinnamon, I haven't had much time to test it but so far it is running fine. Maybe it is time for my father to leave Windows comfort zone :mrgreen:

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#5 Post by RealBlackStuff » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:12 am

If that 2004 is the latest W10 update, then why does it download even MORE updates?

If you haven't read this yet:
Hold your horses: W10 uses 2004 updates in 2020 and as usual screws you over...

Also, W10 does not officially support T400/T500/W500, see also: https://support.lenovo.com/ie/en/soluti ... 1#thinkpad
Official support starts around the xx50 models.

PS: that Linux Mint is an ideal burying ground for Windoze.
Still NOT a great day for a Guinness! (the Real Black Stuff).
Ireland's lockdown reduced to Level 3 [do not leave your own County] till January 2021!
Covid-19: Mask it or Casket!
Check out The Boardroom for Mods and Other Services.