Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

"1vyrain" - xx30 ThinkPad Jailbreak - Overclocking, Advanced Menu, ME Disable, Whitelist automated unlock with software!

T430-T490, T530-T590 Series
n4ru

"1vyrain" - xx30 ThinkPad Jailbreak - Overclocking, Advanced Menu, ME Disable, Whitelist automated unlock with software!

#1 Post by n4ru » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:50 am

Tldr;
- Install a Lenovo BIOS with an EC-version YOU like: https://support.lenovo.com/ie/en/downloads/ds029187 Scroll down.
- If required, run EC-mod to install xx20 7-row keyboard and/or remove battery-check
- Run IVYPREP first to downgrade BIOS (does not change/mod your EC)
- Run 1VYRAIN to install best possible BIOS version (removes wifi-whitelist, unlocks advanced BIOS settings, does not change/mod EC)
- You're done!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYYG8txIS6c

This is still a work in progress, but once it is completed and tested for every xx30 series, you should no longer need to use a hardware flasher for unlocking your xx30 series ThinkPads.

Note that I did NOT discover the exploit used for this, it was posted here and if you're comfortable following the step you can do it yourself manually now. All I've done is created a ready-to-go LiveUSB distro prepared with all necessary software and a script to automate the process so the average user can do this in about two minutes.

I'm still preparing patches for all BIOS revisions and all devices - I've got every xx30 series ThinkPad at my disposal to test on except a T430s (which benefits the least from this anyways aside from the WiFi whitelist unlock). If you're interested in trying this out AND you can confirm you have a hardware flasher, I can send you the image for testing. I will NOT be taking responsibility for bricked devices so I will NOT send this to anyone yet who does not have a hardware flasher, as that is the only way to recover from this if something goes wrong with this script before it is fully tested on the various BIOS revisions and the rest of the IvyBridge lineup.

The following chips are overclockable with this BIOS modification/jailbreak (using something like XTU or ThrottleStop):
  • 3720QM: +2 to multipliers (200MHz all-core)
  • 3740QM, 3820QM, 3840QM: +4 to multipliers (400MHz all-core)
  • 3920XM, 3940XM: Multipliers totally unlocked
Last edited by n4ru on Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:03 am, edited 5 times in total.

dr_st
Admin
Admin

Re: "1vyrain" - xx30 ThinkPad Jailbreak - Overclocking, Advanced Menu, ME Disable, Whitelist automated unlock with softw

#2 Post by dr_st » Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:30 am

Very nice!

It would be interesting to get a full list of new settings unlocked with this update (I assume most of them are in the advanced menu). I think that **30 series Thinkpads have 'permanently disable' option for AMT in the stock BIOS as well. How is the "ME Disable" here different?
Thinkpad 25 (20K7), T490 (20N3), Yoga 14 (20FY), T430s (IPS FHD + Classic Keyboard), X220 4291-4BG
X61 7673-V2V, T60 2007-QPG, T42 2373-F7G, X32 (IPS Screen), A31p w/ Ultrabay Numpad

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: "1vyrain" - xx30 ThinkPad Jailbreak - Overclocking, Advanced Menu, ME Disable, Whitelist automated unlock with softw

#3 Post by RealBlackStuff » Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:00 am

Very interesting and promising!

Take a look at the COMPATIBILITY WARNING here: https://github.com/hamishcoleman/thinkpad-ec
That refers specifically to xx30 BIOS versions.

I'd be interested in such an image.
I have both a black and a green CH341A flasher, a 5/3.5V adapter and SOIC-cables for them.
Which one would you recommend for an X230 with i5-3320M CPU and BIOS V2.70/1.14 in case something goes wrong?

Some older info that might be of interest: https://web.archive.org/web/20071016063 ... le0001.php
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)
Lenovo: X240, X250, T440p, T480, M900 Tiny.

PS: the old Boardroom website is still available on the Wayback Machine

ch1p

#4 Post by ch1p » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:45 pm

Very nice!
Take a look at the COMPATIBILITY WARNING here:
The information there is not completely correct. You just need to downgrade BIOS in that case (following procedure as explained in my article), and then you are able to flash it again. I specifically tested it yesterday: updated my X230 to the latest stock BIOS and EC firmware, then downgraded to 2.74, then flashed patched EC for classic keyboard.

n4ru

#5 Post by n4ru » Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:06 am

I've released a tool named IVprep for those who intend to use this tool when it is completed (next day or so). It will downgrade or upgrade your BIOS to a compatible version. Your EC will remain untouched, and it uses Lenovo's official Windows flashing tool and their official BIOS files - I have simply compiled them and automated the process.
dr_st wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:30 am
Very nice!

It would be interesting to get a full list of new settings unlocked with this update (I assume most of them are in the advanced menu). I think that **30 series Thinkpads have 'permanently disable' option for AMT in the stock BIOS as well. How is the "ME Disable" here different?
ME Disable works the same way that me_cleaner does IIRC using the HAP bit.

There's a video of the advanced menu floating around, and the overclocking features can be seen via ThrottleStop (you have the option to increase your multipliers).

The last primary feature is the removal of the WLAN card whitelist, which lets you use any WiFi card.
RealBlackStuff wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:00 am
Very interesting and promising!

Take a look at the COMPATIBILITY WARNING here: https://github.com/hamishcoleman/thinkpad-ec
That refers specifically to xx30 BIOS versions.

I have both a black and a green CH341A flasher, a 5/3.5V adapter and SOIC-cables for them.
Which one would you recommend for an X230 with i5-3320M CPU and BIOS V2.70/1.14 in case something goes wrong?

Some older info that might be of interest: https://web.archive.org/web/20071016063 ... le0001.php
As someone else mentioned, you can downgrade (I've released a new tool for that to simplify the process), flash your EC, then run 1vyrain to upgrade to the latest BIOS (your EC will NOT be updated with 1vyrain), so you are able to run a classic keyboard modded EC while staying on the latest BIOS update.

ch1p

#6 Post by ch1p » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:27 am

I doubt it's using the HAP bit. HAP bit is set in FD, and it's write-protected. BIOS must be using what's called Software Temporary Disable Mode, it's done by sending a special command to ME and ME disables itself on the next boot after receiving it. There's also a patch for coreboot that does exactly that: https://review.coreboot.org/37115

n4ru

#7 Post by n4ru » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:23 am

ch1p wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:27 am
I doubt it's using the HAP bit. HAP bit is set in FD, and it's write-protected. BIOS must be using what's called Software Temporary Disable Mode, it's done by sending a special command to ME and ME disables itself on the next boot after receiving it. There's also a patch for coreboot that does exactly that: https://review.coreboot.org/37115
I believe you are correct, I may have mixed the two up.

skx
Sophomore Member

#8 Post by skx » Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:20 pm

wonderful... the most annoying mobo to do coreboot or EC mods. is the software flashing exploit bug free?
ThinkPad X220: i5-2520M CPU 2.5GHz - 8GB RAM 1333 MHz - SSD 860 EVO 250GB - Debian - ME_cleaned
ThinkPad X230: i5-3320M CPU 3.3GHz - 8GB RAM 1600 MHz - SSD 860 EVO 500GB - Debian - ME_cleaned

skx
Sophomore Member

#9 Post by skx » Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:23 pm

RealBlackStuff wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:00 am
i have the black one but all should work. but above solution for me is mainly useful for the T series for which we need to disassemble the whole laptop. the x series are so easy to hardware flash the chips below the palmrest.
ThinkPad X220: i5-2520M CPU 2.5GHz - 8GB RAM 1333 MHz - SSD 860 EVO 250GB - Debian - ME_cleaned
ThinkPad X230: i5-3320M CPU 3.3GHz - 8GB RAM 1600 MHz - SSD 860 EVO 500GB - Debian - ME_cleaned

TPadModder

#10 Post by TPadModder » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:41 am

Thanks for the great work in getting bios flash method out. I have been able to flash the modded bios onto my T430 and W530 with 1vyrain, It was an easy process and worked well.
I have an i7-3720qm in the T430 and can confirm that it has the same +4 multiplier turbo bins as the other i7-37** and 38** quad core cpu, not the +2 (for 200 MHz) you have listed. I can achieve 4.0 GHz on 1 core, 3.9 on 2 cores, down to 3.8 on all cores, done via Throttlestop and XTU. I did need to bump up the long turbo power limit to 55 watts for it to be stable otherwise blue-screens would randomly happen if it was lower than 50 watts.
Does anybody know where I can find a good guide to make sense of all the advanced option settings?
W530 i7 3740qm | T430 i7 3720qm with 1080p conversion | Thinkpad Yoga S1 |

Jake.Werecat

#11 Post by Jake.Werecat » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:17 pm

Wow! That seems to be an amazing news!
I'd love to hear some more, a lot more to be exact.
-does it require to stick with 2.6 forever? what is the custom bios version?
-how does ME disabling work? AFAIK ME cannot be turned off completly, as it handles some crucial processes. Is it similar to me-wipe? Or playing with HAP bit? Is AMT and AT functions status shown disabled/unavalible from OS?
-what are other unlocked features available with custom BIOS?
-how does this BIOS soft mod compare to hardware flashing as commonly done with a help of bios-modders forum? I mean the overall effects and functions, the less workload due to mod methos is pretty obvious.
Looking forward to hear some answers.
T470

WizardOfBoz
Freshman Member

#12 Post by WizardOfBoz » Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:55 pm

Ok, I got good results with my two W530s. A few things:

Watch the video and note the things the guys says. Yes, its tedious and a bit overlong, but the info is useful. Good to watch someone do it before plunging ahead. I found it very useful.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSFgV_9wVow

As with any major change to software, when the changes are being made, make sure that the battery is charged AND that you are plugged in (preferably to a UPS). Ensure that the place where the USB will be inserted is located away from places where it will be jarred.

Check your BIOS version. If 2.58 or lower, skip the IVprep step, next. If higher than 2.58, run IVPrep (get https://github.com/n4ru/IVprep/). IVprep works great, and sets your BIOS to a version that can be hacked by the star of the show, 1vyrain. To get this, download the .iso image from https://1vyra.in/**. Using rufus, create a bootable image on a thumb drive (choose DD option, per the instructions on the site).

To allow you to go into the BIOS and Boot menus:
I had to turn off fast startup (Control Panel > Power Options > Choose what the power buttons do > Unclick "Fast Startup". You may have to click on "Change settings that are currenly unavailable" to unclick fast start.

Boot, hit F1 at the Lenovo splash screen. This gets you into the Bios menu, then make sure that you are booting "UEFI only" (not "both" or "Legacy") and the CSM is disabled. Save and allow restart. You can shut the machine down at the login screen if you want.

Insert the thumb drive and boot the machine again, this time using F12 to the boot menu (F12 at the splash screen). Select the 1vyrain bootable thumb drive you inserted earlier. Hit enter. Wait til the machine hibernates. Make sure its hibernated (took about five minutes to get to hibernated state for me IIRC). I think it asks you if you want to load a modified bios (selection1) or a custom one (option 2). Choose 1. Hit the power button once to restart the thing and let the process finish. Five, maybe ten minutes?

There is an initial error flagged on the next boot. Ignore it. It seems to me that there's some questions asked, too. Ignore them - don't respond. They time out. Just let the machine boot.

Or, you could hit F1 on boot and check to see if the advanced option is available and can be used to change stuff. This would confirm your jailbreak.

The nice thing is that the program (apparently) gets you back to v2.76 of BIOS (but without the whitelist). Very cool.

I just ordered 3 AC7260s (new, off ebay, for 13 bucks each). Two will go into the W530. One will go into the T510 that I'll be jailbreaking soon.

Cool beans, man. Thank you 1vyra!

Jake.Werecat

#13 Post by Jake.Werecat » Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:35 pm

Thanks for sharing your experience! Can you say something about that CRC error during startup the guy on the video mentioned? Can we get rid of it somehow?
T470

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#14 Post by RealBlackStuff » Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:10 am

Once you have applied 1vyrain in UEFI-mode, does the UEFI/Legacy Boot have to remain on UEFI?
Or can you set it back to [Both] and change the Boot priority back to [Legacy first]?

EDIT: After 1vyrain-ing my X230, it automatically switched to Both/Legacy first without me doing anything.

Jake.Werecat

#15 Post by Jake.Werecat » Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:48 pm

My guess would be that, UEFI only mode is needed for the 1vyrain mod to start, after having successfully flashed BIOS I suppose it can be changed back to whatever option needed. It would be very inconvenient otherwise...
T470

JPOESQ
**SENIOR** Member
**SENIOR** Member

#16 Post by JPOESQ » Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:36 pm

I changed it back to “Legacy First” on my T530 after flashing.
John P. O'Banion, JD, PE, BSEE
Registered Patent Attorney
http://www.intellectual.com

X220 (McDonnell bios), X230 (1vyrain bios), T530 (1vyrain bios), X1 Carbon 5th Signature Edition

WizardOfBoz
Freshman Member

#17 Post by WizardOfBoz » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:39 pm

I think that the UEFI only mode is just necessary for running 1vyrain. After its done I think I went back and checked dual, UEFI first. I'll check.

In my experience, the CRC error only occurs the first time - is that everyone else's experience? Or am I misremembering that?

I do have AC7250 dual band wifi cards installed and working. Woo hoo!

thelash
Freshman Member

#18 Post by thelash » Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:56 am

Just run 1vyprep then 1vyrain on my T430. This computer runs win10 on a legacy boot - bought it that way. Wondered whether 1vyrain would work given comments above about UEFI only boot.
Prepared the 1vyrain flash drive using Rufus - set on partition scheme mbr, target system UEFI, use dd not iso to install to usb drive. Rebooted into bios and changed boot from 'both legacy and uefi' to 'uefi only', then booted usb drive. Bios flash appeared to go smoothly; on reboot I did get the crc error and (scarily) it went from there to a restart not to bios as I'd asked. Did that twice (!) then booted normally with all errors and warnings gone - was surprised that it booted all the way to microsoft's boring old square logo and then my windows login without me going back into bios and resetting to legacy. Restarted back into bios to discover boot menu had gone back to original legacy settings without my intervention - is this built into the 1vyrain process? Anyone know?
So obviously, UEFI boot is only needed to run the 1vyrain flashdrive - my initial reading of this was that I might need to reinstall windows in UEFI mode before doing the jailbreak. Decided to go ahead without that and it worked.
Next steps - have deactivated ME in the new advanced menu; will be looking for an ac wireless card when covid19 restrictions lifted...
Great work n4ru - thanks very much.
T430 ips, T440p.

emacsomancer

#19 Post by emacsomancer » Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:13 pm

1vyrain doesn't allow for fully neutering ME though, right? that still requires physically flashing the chip, I assume?
* X230 - i7-3520M - 16Gb RAM - 512Gb Samsung 850 Pro SSD - Lenovo IPS screen / Boot firmware: Coreboot w/ me_cleaner
* X200 - Core2-P8600 - 8Gb RAM - 500Gb Samsung 860 Evo SSD - Hydis AFFS screen / Boot firmware: Libreboot

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#20 Post by RealBlackStuff » Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:37 am

After 1vyrain-ing my X230, I had the same reboots with errors.
And it automatically switched back to Both/Legacy first without me doing anything!

I just disabled ME in the new BIOS settings.
(I have nothing to hide anyway).

skx
Sophomore Member

#21 Post by skx » Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:20 pm

emacsomancer wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:13 pm
1vyrain doesn't allow for fully neutering ME though, right? that still requires physically flashing the chip, I assume?
we can only guess without someone clarifying what it actually does... i am only interested in the exploit to be able to flash without external flasher. would spare us the hassle of disassembling the T series to be able to dump the chips.

Jake.Werecat

#22 Post by Jake.Werecat » Mon May 25, 2020 10:11 am

Eh. I'm afraid I've just bricked my X230 trying. After successfully applying IVprep I ran 1vyrain from USB , to process went smoothly, the laptop suspended and then woke up, then restart twice, and I ended up

Code: Select all

with 0183: Bad CRC of Security Settings in EFI variable.
Press F1 to enter Setup
Then it asks for supervisor password instead of power-on password as usual, I tried putting in my power-on passwords, but it doesn't accept it and of course after 3 failed attempts it shuts down. And that is all I can do for now.
Could someone suggest any help?
T470

Jake.Werecat

#23 Post by Jake.Werecat » Mon May 25, 2020 3:10 pm

With many thanks to RealBlackStuff I managed to recover the laptop. But yet there is another issue.
the mod messed with fingerprints saved in BIOS so I got them all erased and tried to re-enrolled them. And that throws the following error:
https://i.imgur.com/njzCZXt.png
I'm wondering if this issue is solvable and if not, is it possible the revert the mod using genuine Lenovo BIOS?

PS. An observation I made - after applying the mod, Computrace and Intel AT which used to be Permanently Disabled pops out to be Enabled again. But you can simply re-disable it again.
PSS. Another observation. 1vyraine pruned the Windows 8 license key from the BIOS, which for me is quite a positive side effect, but for some of you guys can be annoying.
PSS2. Reverting from 1vyrain to stock BIOS is all doable, but it's not possible to re-flash with the same BIOS version, so you need to downgrade it first with IVprep or manually, and then flash the latest genuine BIOS.
PSS3. Upgrading to Intel AC7260 WLAN card makes a driver (or maybe even hardware) conflict with original Bluetooth card in X230 as 7260 has integrated Bluetooth.
PSS4. The problem with enrolling fingerprints still persists even after reverting from 1vrain. And Security Chip status in BIOS is still MFG Mode. Ehhhh... how to fix this :(
PSS5. Tried EVERYTHING. Downgrading BIOS, upgrading BIOS, removing all passwords, restoring default settings, using windows tpm.msc command to turn it on/off/clear. No luck. No success. TPM still stuck in MFG mode, fingerprint reader still not working. Seems that even after de-bricking the machine I would have to change the motherboard :( It was not worth it...
T470

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#24 Post by RealBlackStuff » Tue May 26, 2020 12:08 am

digmorepaka
Freshman Member

#25 Post by digmorepaka » Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:54 pm

PS. An observation I made - after applying the mod, Computrace and Intel AT which used to be Permanently Disabled pops out to be Enabled again. But you can simply re-disable it again.

PSS. Another observation. 1vyrain pruned the Windows 8 license key from the BIOS, which for me is quite a positive side effect, but for some of you guys can be annoying.
This happens because the chip is physically reflashed, ALL settings are reverted to DEFAULT that Lenovo provides. This is also why a supervisor password appears, since it was not cleared, but rather switched off.
PSS3. Upgrading to Intel AC7260 WLAN card makes a driver (or maybe even hardware) conflict with original Bluetooth card in X230 as 7260 has integrated Bluetooth.
Known issue with stock firmwares, tape pin51 of the WLAN card.
Daily: X61s XGA AFFS LED L7700
Collecting dust: T420 T500p T60 X61t X60t X61
RIP: T41x2 T40 T42 T42p X41t T61 T420 X61sx3 T410 R40

Jake.Werecat

#26 Post by Jake.Werecat » Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:53 pm

Thanks for reply digmorepaka, but I'm afraid I have to disagree about the supervisor password. It was turned on and set to the same, known value as my power-on password, but after the mod my password wasn't accepted anymore.

Oh no, no, no taping, cutting, tampering, short-circuiting or anything like that, not under my roof. :D

Summarizing it all - playing with 1vyrain was a pleasant, challenging and very educational experiences. It's still a big pity, that one can not revert the changes, and motherboard has to be replaced to bring the laptop back to old functionality, fingerprint reader is like a top priority for me, I like to have my hardware password-secured, but even though I'm aware using scanning fingerprints instead of typing in passwords brings a bit off vulnerability to the system, I still love it, as it boost ups the daily convenience soooo much. The mobo fortunately is pretty cheap, but this still leaves that bitter taste of failure in one's mouth... and that mainboard I have to ditch is with i7, which are pretty rare and hard to find.
Last edited by Jake.Werecat on Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
T470

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#27 Post by RealBlackStuff » Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:31 am

You could try to swap it with someone who has an i7 X230 and doesn't use FPR.

Krissharm

#28 Post by Krissharm » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:44 am

Or just sell the i7 motherboard. Ebay is nuts these days for prices on x220 and x230....

I have now managed to do two post x220 keyboard and whitelist mod. I am yet to see what all the extra options do though
X230 IPS 16GB RAM, 1TB Samsung (x220 chassis, keyboard & palmrest) SSD MX18 Linux
X201s 8GB RAM, Samsung SSD MX18 Linux x200s screen

JimmyMcGill

#29 Post by JimmyMcGill » Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:29 am

New version available for testing: https://github.com/n4ru/1vyrain/issues/37
*.roms (external flash): https://github.com/digmorepaka/xx30-thinkpad-fw

Had issue with jailbreak method on x230 not working using the ISO, flashing X230.rom with external programmer did work, MFG mode gone, TPM chip can be enabled/disabled/inactive. :)
Clearing TPM in BIOS/Windows does not work for me.

Report test result to first link above. :thumbs-UP:

n4ru

#30 Post by n4ru » Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:29 am

I see the newest version has been posted.

Caught up on the thread. Most questions are answered here: https://medium.com/@n4ru/1vyrain-an-xx3 ... 4bb0bdb654

Only major update is that we're investigating the TPM stuff and *may* have a solution soon.