Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

EU seems to be in danger...

Talk about "WhatEVER !"..
Ibthink

Re: EU seems to be in danger...

#481 Post by Ibthink » Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:00 pm

Puppy wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:32 pm
Visegrad Group: A new economic heart of Europe?
With 3.7% growth in 2019, Hungary ranks as the fifth-fastest-growing economy in the EU, according to the European Commission forecasts.
Using the "fake news" as a source now? :roll:

It is well known Hungary used to be one of the wealthier countries of the former Warsaw pact. Since the 90s, its economy has fallen behind, especially compared to Poland: https://www.obserwatorfinansowy.pl/wp-c ... P-1540.jpg (source: https://www.obserwatorfinansowy.pl/in-e ... nomically/)

Hungary suffers from serious worker shortages, due to low birthrates and almost no migration to fill in the needed workers. Thats why the quasi-dictator & oligarch Victor Orban has given employers a law with which they can force workers to work more and more over time: https://www.dw.com/en/hungarian-workers ... a-46649065

Also the reason why its government is wasting a low of money on ineffectual attempts to get people to have more children: https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/eu ... story.html
Puppy wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:32 pm
Have you been there or got all the information from the fake news only?
Yes, I have been there a couple of times, since I am part Hungarian and thus have family in Hungary.
IBM ThinkPad R50e | lenovo ThinkPad X301 | lenovo ThinkPad Z61t

Puppy
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#482 Post by Puppy » Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:17 pm

Ibthink wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:00 pm
Using the "fake news" as a source now?
No, the same source DW you linked as well. Your chart shows 2015, the article I linked is about 2019.
Ibthink wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:00 pm
almost no migration to fill in the needed workers
It is called a wet dream :D Nobody needs workers with basic (or no) education. The level of automation in industry is (will be in the near future) so high that all the simple work will be done by machines. Inviting low/no educated people to do such job when you already know it has short-term effect only is like a time bomb. Don't mention the morality behind. And please do not start that majority of those immigrants have higher education (while there are information that half of them are illiterate).

We also have an Orban or rather Berlusconi clone here, oligarch Andrej Babis. Active member of the communist secret police force (similar to Stasi in DDR) who became politician and later the Prime Minister to protect his own business only. It seems to be a destiny of all post-communist countries. We also have an AfD clone (the abbrevation is SPD - funny for Germans), but the leader is a completely dumb person so the party isn't getting any significant attention. The immigration topic is not hot over here as we aren't interesting destination country to serve high social security payments, unlike Germany or Sweden.
ThinkPad (1992 - 2012): R51, X31, X220
Huawei MateBook 13

Puppy
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#483 Post by Puppy » Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:32 am

Ibthink wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:21 pm
now its the Muslims.
Last comment as our opinions are already clear enough:

Pakistani Man Blinded By His Father, Brothers For Wanting 'Love Marriage'
https://www.rferl.org/a/pakistani-man-b ... 91592.html

"The entire time that they were taking out my eyes, he was shouting 'Allahu Akbar! Allahu Akbar!' over and over again," Baqi says.

If you think such 'religion of peace' is still relevant in 21st century, I don't. And I don't want such medieval practices (including child marriage, sharia law ...) to be brought over here. And no, no manual nor training "How to behave in civilized Europe" can fix it. I am aware that there can be small percentage of people who aren't totally brainwashed by the toxic ideology, but the risk is simply too high. To bring a solution, all the people like you who think that is ok to take the risk should also take the full personal responsibility for it (i.e. if an immigrant commits a crime, the responsible person goes to jail as well). Fair enough to protect those who disagree with the idea of incompatible cultures mass immigration.

As always, my opinion is based on personal experience. Our government did the same mistake in early 90's after the borders were open, fortunately with less severe consequences. They accepted anyone without checking the validity of their documents or the history. Prague became very quickly the 'headquarters' of all the eastern European mafia, because we were stupid/naive enough that 'good' people only would come.

You can still say they were the 'bad' radical Muslims, but the rest of them are 'good'. How comes we don't have a radical Christians or radical Budhists here as well? The answer is easy.
Huawei MateBook 13

Puppy
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#484 Post by Puppy » Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:34 am

And now for something completely different ... well done, Germany :D

Miss Germany to be chosen by all-female judging panel
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/5bc3 ... 804128329e
Huawei MateBook 13

Puppy
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#485 Post by Puppy » Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:48 pm

UK was right! The EU will force Apple to drop the Lightning port within its jurisdiction The stupidity of EU bureaucrats is endless :evil: I am not an Apple fanboy, but this is utter nonsense. Besides the "connector" itself, vendors use different incompatible fast charging technologies. Are they going to ban them as well? Are they aware that USB-C connector has high rate of failures?

If EU cares about the ecology, why there is the new law in Germany forcing shops to print tons of useless paper bills?
Huawei MateBook 13

cadillacmike68
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#486 Post by cadillacmike68 » Sat May 23, 2020 7:48 pm

As much as I am in agreement with George on islam, the real global threat, which I have maintained for the past 20 years or so, is china. It is the only communist country that has actually thrived (mostly for the party elites on the backs of the common man) while the rest are dismal failures or went by the wayside.
600 600X
760LD FUBARd
T21 2647 T22 2647 1@ 1GHz SXGA+ 4 more; T23 2647 1@ 1.2GHz SXGA+ 3 more
T30 2366-88U 2GHz; 2366-83U 1.8G; 5@ 2366-LU0/66U; 2367-KU6 FUBARd
T41 T42 T43
T60 T61 8897 2.4GHz SXGA+; 8898 2.4Ghz; 6463 2@ WSXGA+; 7658 2.5GHz; T61p; 6 more T61s
T500 2
T530 W530

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

#487 Post by ajkula66 » Sat May 23, 2020 8:30 pm

cadillacmike68 wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 7:48 pm
As much as I am in agreement with George on islam, the real global threat, which I have maintained for the past 20 years or so, is china. It is the only communist country that has actually thrived (mostly for the party elites on the backs of the common man) while the rest are dismal failures or went by the wayside.
No questions asked. But we've been sold out by the globalists worldwide and will have one heck of a fight in front of us if we want to minimize the poisonous influence of CCP.
...Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules...(King Crimson)

Cheers,

George (your grouchy retired FlexView farmer)

One FlexView to rule them all: A31p

Abused daily: T520, X200s

PMs requesting personal tech support will be ignored.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#488 Post by RealBlackStuff » Sun May 24, 2020 2:01 am

That CCP already has been extremely effective by apparently introducing Covid-19 to us...
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)
Lenovo: X240, X250, T440p, T480, M900 Tiny.

PS: the old Boardroom website is still available on the Wayback Machine

cadillacmike68
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#489 Post by cadillacmike68 » Sun May 24, 2020 10:29 pm

^^
Don't get me started on that..
600 600X
760LD FUBARd
T21 2647 T22 2647 1@ 1GHz SXGA+ 4 more; T23 2647 1@ 1.2GHz SXGA+ 3 more
T30 2366-88U 2GHz; 2366-83U 1.8G; 5@ 2366-LU0/66U; 2367-KU6 FUBARd
T41 T42 T43
T60 T61 8897 2.4GHz SXGA+; 8898 2.4Ghz; 6463 2@ WSXGA+; 7658 2.5GHz; T61p; 6 more T61s
T500 2
T530 W530

friedrich-eugen
thinkpads.com customer
thinkpads.com customer

Re: EU seems to be in danger... Stay with the facts and argue than

#490 Post by friedrich-eugen » Mon May 25, 2020 2:34 am

Hello Guys, over here and over the ocean,

lets stay with the facts...
  • China is no democracy, yes, and it is a country led by an authoritarian, may well be totalitarian party, no western style. But it was a truely fast growing & learning society & economy.
  • It has learned its style of economy from ...the United States, from Europe ...
  • it has learned its style of politics from Europe (19&20th century, Russia) and Europe (UK) and US (till today)
  • China has imported production, jobs, knowledge and technology from the US, from Europe, as the industries looked for cheaper laber, cheaper places, less to pay for "external effects to third parties"
  • China has imported styles of politics from "the west", as the west has rarely stood up to its constitutional rules in its politics, especially in its foreign policy, its respect for human rights
So, if You tend to point to China as a villain, You 're in fact pointing at Yourself, US and Europe and the shortsighted economics /politics so much hailed at.

Europe (EU) and the US are very different in style of democracy and in style of economics, but the Eu are at least democratic societies... till now. But democracy is in danger, by nature, allways.
It is the small changes, that put democracy in danger: interference with independent press (hungary), loss of autonomous judiciary (Poland), corruption (Malta), latest: Populism and stupidity,
insufficient knowledge of how to operate an governement as part of an governement (Brexit, its developpment and its outcome (still to show))...

Lets stay humble... and try to do our best
Last edited by friedrich-eugen on Mon May 25, 2020 12:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-friedrich-eugen-
started with IBM-XT & AST-Ascentia (910N) in the 90ties, relying on Thinkpads (770X, A31P, T60-61P Frankenp.) until 2017,
now using TP W530 FHD (i7 Nvida 2GB, 32GB, 500GB & 2TB SSD), X230T (i7 32GB/ 1TB), TP Yoga X390 (i7 16GB 2TB)
Windows 10 & Windows 11 Pro

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

Re: EU seems to be in danger... Stay with the facts and argue than

#491 Post by ajkula66 » Mon May 25, 2020 10:54 am

friedrich-eugen wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 2:34 am

Lets stay humble... and try to do our best
Well, my friend...here's how I see it.

Hungary is doing their best in order to keep Islam out of its territory, along with the poison that Soros-funded organizations are. I wish them all the luck in the world.

Poland can't simply erase hundreds of years of its own history of being a Catholic country to please the EU leeches. I wish them well.

Malta ? That's funny. Corruption is everywhere.

Brexit ? Blame the nonsense on the same globalists that send everyone's jobs over to China, and the Conservatives who wouldn't listen to the will of its own people. I'd love to see Farage as the next PM, but that's not going to happen.

We've learned nothing from the occupation of "refugees" over the past 20 years.

We are unlikely to learn anything from the C-19 debacle.

We - as a civilization - are doomed. And the globalists running the EU have done the most of the damage on that continent.

Humbleness will not get us very far. Opening our eyes and fighting for the future of our children and grandchildren might.

EU's got to go. I hope to see it crash and burn during my lifetime.

Stay well.

Cheers,

friedrich-eugen
thinkpads.com customer
thinkpads.com customer

#492 Post by friedrich-eugen » Mon May 25, 2020 12:52 pm

Hello ajkula66,

It is good to see & read Your well ?! ...

But I cannot / do not share Your view of Europe and the refugies-theme... I happend to be part of amnesty international in the 70ties and eighties and to experience the consequences of terror, the consequences of Milton Freedmans policy recommendations. My family was part of the Nazi-Movement and at the same time in some respects and in part victim of that system. We have had to learn about democracy the hard way...

That is why Germany as society and a country today acts and thinks not the way, US- or sometimes even british citizens think and argue. The consequences of those two wars in Europe in the 20th century have left their marks in all countries of Europe, those wars did change the landscape, the political order and the thinking, the ways to move, "to behave" over here...

Stay safe and sound, happy trails
-friedrich-eugen-
started with IBM-XT & AST-Ascentia (910N) in the 90ties, relying on Thinkpads (770X, A31P, T60-61P Frankenp.) until 2017,
now using TP W530 FHD (i7 Nvida 2GB, 32GB, 500GB & 2TB SSD), X230T (i7 32GB/ 1TB), TP Yoga X390 (i7 16GB 2TB)
Windows 10 & Windows 11 Pro

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

#493 Post by ajkula66 » Mon May 25, 2020 1:07 pm

friedrich-eugen wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 12:52 pm
Hello ajkula66,

It is good to see & read Your well ?! ...
Likewise, my friend, it's a good thing that we're still above the ground.
That is why Germany as society and a country today acts and thinks not the way, US- or sometimes even british citizens think and argue. The consequences of those two wars in Europe in the 20th century have left their marks in all countries of Europe, those wars did change the landscape, the political order and the thinking, the ways to move, "to behave" over here...
Neither an American nor a Brit, but a transplanted European here. Well aware of the history and carnage. Just happen to view the current situation in a vastly different light.
Stay safe and sound, happy trails
Wishing you the same, and keep on ThinkPaddin'... :thumbs-UP:

Cheers,

TonyJZX

#494 Post by TonyJZX » Tue May 26, 2020 4:11 am

I love how everyone loves to heap blame on china for taking "ur jerbs"... on a Thinkpad forum where just about every device for the last 15-20yrs has been made in china and is been controlled essentially by the CCP... Lenovo is owned by some China academy of sciences or such nonsense?

China has made the Waltons into mega billionareies (Walmart)... just about every electronic device, every network device, even durable manufactured item from your brooms dustpans to essential building materials to solar panels to something like 50-70% of your cars are all made in china.

I have worked as a mechanic and we have taken apart BMWs and Audis and a shockiing percentage of the components are made in china.

I'm not one to use phrases like (((globalists))) and Soros as it tends to indicate some kind of bilderberg cabal of jews (just say it)... when reality all it is is the multnationals of this world all ceeding manufacture to china because... they do it better and cheaper than anyone else.

That's it.

And in using the best manufacturer these companies have becoming capitalised to the bilions.

These companies "took your jobs". And yet I wouldnt want comtemplate a world where the Western market produces all its own goods.

Do you want your avg. car to be a $60,000 product? Do you want your 50" LCD tv to be $2,000? Do you want a Thinkpad to be a $3,000 item?

I'm old enough to have lived in a world where the only choice was a microwave oven made in Japan or a TV made in japan or laptop made in Japan and really, none of us can afford a world where all our stuff is NOT made in china.

I work in production in the west and we export to China and SE Asia and the middle east and we have the highest cost structures in the world.

There is plenty to criticse China for but your anger is misdirected... its these multinationals largely headquarterd in the US or the Netherlands or the UK EU which is responsible for your decline in living standards. And they done a great job by making "China" the target, just like a certain US president.

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

#495 Post by ajkula66 » Tue May 26, 2020 11:18 am

TonyJZX wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 4:11 am

I'm not one to use phrases like (((globalists))) and Soros as it tends to indicate some kind of bilderberg cabal of jews (just say it)...
So anyone who can't tolerate Soros is automatically an anti-Semite ? What a straw man argument. Showing our real colours, aren't we ?

Do you want your avg. car to be a $60,000 product? Do you want your 50" LCD tv to be $2,000? Do you want a Thinkpad to be a $3,000 item?
Yes. Because there's the other part of equation where the wages would also be significantly higher, due to no competition from slave-labour-wage countries.
I'm old enough to have lived in a world where the only choice was a microwave oven made in Japan or a TV made in japan or laptop made in Japan
As am I
and really, none of us can afford a world where all our stuff is NOT made in china.
Kindly speak for yourself and spare us this "none of us" business please.

There is plenty to criticse China for but your anger is misdirected... its these multinationals largely headquarterd in the US or the Netherlands or the UK EU which is responsible for your decline in living standards. And they done a great job by making "China" the target, just like a certain US president.
Plenty of blame to go around, but sadly no one's doing anything about it.
Last edited by ajkula66 on Tue May 26, 2020 3:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Cheers,

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#496 Post by RealBlackStuff » Tue May 26, 2020 11:39 am

@TonyJZX:
most of your posts come from Australia, a country not all that "concerned" about the rest of the world.

TonyJZX

#497 Post by TonyJZX » Wed May 27, 2020 5:23 am

Can I ask why Soros is the target of peoples' ire and not people like Bezos, the Kochs, the Waltons, Larry Ellisons of this world?

I cant understand why people hate Soros. I'm genuinely curious.

I have always said I am lucky. I come from wealthy family, always been fed, always had jobs that paid well, never worried about rent or a lot of stuff that bothers other people.

I look at the stuff happening in the US and the EU and kind of laugh...

I agree that there a places in the world insulated from the various (((globalists))) conspiracies going on.

Are we about to discuss 5g and vaccines and how Bill Gates is the cause of population control?

I realise I'm not in control of a lot of things... I would love a world where the west can make all its own stuff but that decision is out of your hands.

Further the loss of skills in making those things had been taken out of your hands. I did not that certain companies in the US tried to make their own TVs laptops and mobile phones. How did that work out for you? Its too late, your multinationals sold you out.

My challenge to all of you is to get rid of all your Thinkpads and mobile phones and TVs and live without any China made products and see how far you go. If you can manage it then you have my utmost respect.

Its easy to talk the talk and say "we dont want China stuff" when you're typing this on a Thinkpad...

Twiggy

#498 Post by Twiggy » Wed May 27, 2020 5:55 am

Tony,

People hate Soros because there are conspiracy theories out there, that say that he is pulling some strings in many different countries around the globe, and has some sinister plan to like control the world or some nonsense like that. Many of these people have recently started to hate Bill Gates too, because of conspiracy theories surrounding forced vaccinations, and him allegedly wanting to "kill people with vaccines" to lower the world's population and other such crud. Generally speaking, the human species, our species, is arrogant and stupid. We may be the most "intelligent" species we know of, but honestly, that doesn't mean much in the face of so many different types of human stupidity on display throughout history, and every day in the present as well.

As for things being made in China, honestly the quality of Chinese products has greatly improved in recent years, so much so that I often buy Chinese "knock offs" of products for the drastically lower prices, because they work just as well, and as you mentioned many major manufacturers have many different components made in China as well, including computer components.

Edit: I just saw you mentioned Bill Gates, "Globalists", etc. I only skimmed your last reply before. This still stands though.

TPFanatic
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#499 Post by TPFanatic » Wed May 27, 2020 8:41 am

Twiggy wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 5:55 am
Edit: I just saw you mentioned Bill Gates, "Globalists", etc.
We all know he means ((((((((((Jews)))))))))). :lol:

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

#500 Post by ajkula66 » Wed May 27, 2020 10:27 am

TonyJZX wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 5:23 am

I cant understand why people hate Soros. I'm genuinely curious.
Then you're absolutely clueless about what has been going on in Europe - mostly Eastern but not limited to that part - for the past 30 years and I really have no time to desire or educate you. Keep on enjoying your bubble. Maybe you'll be lucky enough to be spared from reality for the rest of your days.
TPFanatic wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:41 am

We all know he means ((((((((((Jews)))))))))). :lol:
Are you going to hide behind the Anti-Semitic straw man argument as well ? Really ?

Cheers,

TPFanatic
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#501 Post by TPFanatic » Wed May 27, 2020 12:18 pm

Everyone knows ((( ))) means Jews, is all my point is, if anyone still thinks there's anything subtle about it. :roll:

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

#502 Post by ajkula66 » Wed May 27, 2020 12:36 pm

TPFanatic wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 12:18 pm
Everyone knows ((( ))) means Jews, is all my point is, if anyone still thinks there's anything subtle about it. :roll:
I don't know about "everyone" but when I think of globalists, there's quite a few Christians that come to mind first...

Bush 41/43, Blair, Clinton, Obama, Merkel, Macron...should I continue ? I'd rather not since it's going to be one heck of a long list.

Greed and powerbgrab are not a concept "owned" by any single religion, they speak all languages and spread indiscriminately like a bad case of cancer.

Cheers,

Ibthink

#503 Post by Ibthink » Wed May 27, 2020 1:43 pm

Globalism is a term mainly used today by the far-right as a propaganda term with which to mark the enemies of the far-right agenda (aka those people who don't think extreme nationalism is a solution to humanities problems). But the term also serves as an inward signal of the far-right: Its second meaning is "Jew". This way, the term connects to the favorite conspiracy theory of the far-right, the Jewish World Domination conspiracy theory. It is a dog-whistle.

That is also the reason why Soros is the favorite target of far-right organizations, instead of other billionaires. He is a Jew as well as someone who uses his wealth to sponsor liberal groups, which makes him the ultimate boogeyman for the far-right.

This is the reason is why it isn't a strawman to note the obvious implications of the term.
ajkula66 wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 12:36 pm
Greed and powerbgrab are not a concept "owned" by any single religion, they speak all languages and spread indiscriminately like a bad case of cancer.
They are also no at all owned by the people you label "globalists" either. Unless you think that people who reject the notion that cooperation between humans is a good thing are immune to greed and lust for power.

A nice example is the "glorious" leader of Hungary, Victor Orban (someone who received a scholarship from Soros foundation BTW). He blames the EU, "globalists" and especially Soros for all problems in existence, while he proceeds to build a large stadium in his little home town, his buddy from school (who worked as a gas fitter until recently) is now one of the richest man in Hungary and Orban controls nearly all media organizations in the country, so no one can expose his corruption to the Hungarian people.

But sure, the little university that Soros had in Budapest was the biggest problem for Hungary... :roll:
ajkula66 wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 1:07 pm
Well aware of the history and carnage.
If you are, that makes me wonder why you think that "the globalists running the EU have done the most damage on that continent". Because I am pretty sure the two world wars that preceded the EU have done the most damage to Europe. And those world wars were motivated mainly by stupid nationalism, which is the main reason why the EU exists in the first place, to ensure that war between Europeans becomes impossible.

So far, it has ensured that none of its members started a war against each other, a pretty rare situation for the war torn continent that is Europe.

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

#504 Post by ajkula66 » Wed May 27, 2020 2:06 pm

Ibthink wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 1:43 pm
Globalism is a term mainly used today by the far-right as a propaganda term with which to mark the enemies of the far-right agenda (aka those people who don't think extreme nationalism is a solution to humanities problems). But the term also serves as an inward signal of the far-right: Its second meaning is "Jew". This way, the term connects to the favorite conspiracy theory of the far-right, the Jewish World Domination conspiracy theory. It is a dog-whistle.

That is also the reason why Soros is the favorite target of far-right organizations, instead of other billionaires. He is a Jew as well as someone who uses his wealth to sponsor liberal groups, which makes him the ultimate boogeyman for the far-right.

This is the reason is why it isn't a strawman to note the obvious implications of the term.
I'd love for you to say all of this with a straight face to *real* right-wing folks of the Jewish faith such as Dennis Prager and Stephen Miler. I'm neither a true right-winger nor Jewish so I really don't qualify.

You also added a "dog whistle" straw man to the Anti-Semitic one. Bravo.

Meanwhile, all the folks that I listed on my "short globalist top 5" list are/were still Christians the last I heard about them.

Soros would've been the target of anyone with an understanding of his actions regardless of his faith.

But sure, the little university that Soros had in Budapest was the biggest problem for Hungary... :roll:
Small places if properly financed can do a lot of damage.
If you are, that makes me wonder why you think that "the globalists running the EU have done the most damage on that continent". Because I am pretty sure the two world wars that preceded the EU have done the most damage to Europe. And those world wars were motivated mainly by stupid nationalism, which is the main reason why the EU exists in the first place, to ensure that war between Europeans becomes impossible.
Nice attempt of putting the words in my mouth. These wars were done with long before EU was concocted.
So far, it has ensured that none of its members started a war against each other, a pretty rare situation for the war torn continent that is Europe.
The absence of wars is insufficient argument for the EU existence. No single European country was equipped - or prepared - to fight a war after WW2.

And it's not like EU member states didn't engage in wars and/or toppling regimes in other areas of the world...should I start listing those ?

So "peace for me but not for thee" ? :roll:

Cheers,

dr_st
Admin
Admin

#505 Post by dr_st » Wed May 27, 2020 2:15 pm

ajkula66 wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 2:06 pm
Soros would've been the target of anyone with an understanding of his actions regardless of his faith.
Wouldn't say "anyone", as some people support his actions, with full understanding; however, it is enough to look at the Wikipedia article on Mr. Soros, particularly the "Views on" sections, to understand why his actions, statements or beliefs would tick off a lot of people, who do not fall in the "far-right" category. Unless you define "far-right" as anyone who doesn't fully embrace the "progressive" ideas.
Thinkpad 25 (20K7), T490 (20N3), Yoga 14 (20FY), T430s (IPS FHD + Classic Keyboard), X220 4291-4BG
X61 7673-V2V, T60 2007-QPG, T42 2373-F7G, X32 (IPS Screen), A31p w/ Ultrabay Numpad

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

#506 Post by ajkula66 » Wed May 27, 2020 2:20 pm

dr_st wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 2:15 pm
ajkula66 wrote:
Wouldn't say "anyone", as some people support his actions, with full understanding;
Fair enough. Mea culpa.
however, it is enough to look at the Wikipedia article on Mr. Soros, particularly the "Views on" sections, to understand why his actions, statements or beliefs would tick off a lot of people, who do not fall in the "far-right" category. Unless you define "far-right" as anyone who doesn't fully embrace the "progressive" ideas.
Yep. I've suddenly become "far-right" over the past 10-15 years without ever knowing it, or changing the beliefs that I've maintained for the longest time. It wouldn't be as frightening if I were the only one in that position...

Cheers,

Ibthink

#507 Post by Ibthink » Wed May 27, 2020 2:51 pm

ajkula66 wrote:
Sure. Knowledge is power and I guess Victor Orban learned that he has to keep people dumb if he wants to control them. After all, he grew up in an authoritarian dictatorship that also controlled the media and education.
ajkula66 wrote:
I'd love for you to say all of this with a straight face to *real* right-wing folks of the Jewish faith such as Dennis Prager and Stephen Miler.
The existence of right-wing Jewish people doesn't mean that far-right antisemitism doesn't exist. There can even be Nazi Jews: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Associati ... ional_Jews
ajkula66 wrote:
Meanwhile, all the folks that I listed on my "short globalist top 5" list are/were still Christians the last I heard about them.
And that contradicts what I wrote in what way exactly? As I said, the term has a dual purpose, two meanings depending on the audience. And in the "logic" of the far-right conspiracy theory, all those people are controlled by "the Jew" anyway.
ajkula66 wrote:
No single European country was equipped - or prepared - to fight a war after WW2.
The same was true after World War 1, but a another world war followed it by a mere 21 years anyway. And that is the reason why countries like France and Germany decided to cooperate instead of fight each other after the war.
dr_st wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 2:15 pm
however, it is enough to look at the Wikipedia article on Mr. Soros, particularly the "Views on" sections, to understand why his actions, statements or beliefs would tick off a lot of people, who do not fall in the "far-right" category. Unless you define "far-right" as anyone who doesn't fully embrace the "progressive" ideas.
Any public figure that shares political views and acts on them "ticks off" a lot of people. But not many are in the center of so many conspiracy theories like Soros. Those conspiracy theories are also listed on his Wikipedia page. And they are pretty much exclusively right-wing: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_So ... nd_threats
ajkula66 wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 2:20 pm
Yep. I've suddenly become "far-right" over the past 10-15 years without ever knowing it, or changing the beliefs that I've maintained for the longest time. It wouldn't be as frightening if I were the only one in that position...
I don't think anyone here has called you far-right. I wouldn't do so, since I don't know you political opinions well enough for that.

In a European context, wanting to see the EU go down is far away from a centrist or even center-right point of view though. Not even Polish or Hungarian nationalists are actively trying to leave the EU, since they gain so much money through it. However, the political spectrum in the US is different and a single viewpoint is not really enough to go on.

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

#508 Post by ajkula66 » Wed May 27, 2020 3:21 pm

Ibthink wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 2:51 pm
ajkula66 wrote:
Sure. Knowledge is power and I guess Victor Orban learned that he has to keep people dumb if he wants to control them. After all, he grew up in an authoritarian dictatorship that also controlled the media and education.
You do realize that you just called everyone who voted for Orban dumb? I'm not Hungarian but would be highly offended if I were.
ajkula66 wrote:
I'd love for you to say all of this with a straight face to *real* right-wing folks of the Jewish faith such as Dennis Prager and Stephen Miler.
The existence of right-wing Jewish people doesn't mean that far-right antisemitism doesn't exist.
I see. So we're supposed to believe that it's the Soros' faith and not his actions to be the cause of dislike - a very mild term on my end - many harbour for him. In other words, hate for G.S. = Anti-Semitism. Bravo.
ajkula66 wrote:
And that contradicts what I wrote in what way exactly? As I said, the term has a dual purpose, two meanings depending on the audience. And in the "logic" of the far-right conspiracy theory, all those people are controlled by "the Jew" anyway.
You do realize that the term "conspiracy theory" was originally coined by CIA, right ? Not exactly the organization with the best reputation when it comes to human rights let alone transparency. The very term is meant to discredit anyone with a worldview opposing to one's own when lacking solid proof.
ajkula66 wrote:
No single European country was equipped - or prepared - to fight a war after WW2.
The same was true after World War 1, but a another world war followed it by a mere 21 years anyway. And that is the reason why countries like France and Germany decided to cooperate instead of fight each other after the war.
Uhm. No. The EU as it stands today was concocted in the '90s, the Amsterdam Treaty et al. Someone had to pay for unification of Germany. Nice wealth transfer via Euro (as in currency) mechanism. Brilliant move, by all means.
I don't think anyone here has called you far-right. I wouldn't do so, since I don't know you political opinions well enough for that.

In a European context, wanting to see the EU go down is far away from a centrist or even center-right point of view though. Not even Polish or Hungarian nationalists are actively trying to leave the EU, since they gain so much money through it. However, the political spectrum in the US is different and a single viewpoint is not really enough to go on.
My views don't really reflect any particular side of the political spectrum in U.S. or for that fact Europe. They are a bit too complex to be stuffed into any single category. Folks that I like and would likely vote for in a different set of circumstances have been mostly pushed out of the mainstream.

Cheers,

Ibthink

#509 Post by Ibthink » Wed May 27, 2020 4:02 pm

ajkula66 wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 3:21 pm
You do realize that you just called everyone who voted for Orban dumb?
Except that I didn't, since Orban couldn't have kept people dumb before he took office, as he used said office to rig the system in his favor only after he won the 2010 election. Also "keep people dumb" (sich die Leute dumm halten) means basically means "withhold information from people" in German.

As you said "nice attempt of putting words in my mouth".
ajkula66 wrote:
You do realize that the term "conspiracy theory" was originally coined by CIA, right ? Not exactly the organization with the best reputation when it comes to human rights let alone transparency. The very term is meant to discredit anyone with a worldview opposing to one's own when lacking solid proof.
Actually, the term was not coined by the CIA. It originates in the 19th century and always had a negative connotation. Though I would argue that calling it "theory" still gives too much credit. Most conspiracy "theories" are so easily debunked and bogus that it might be more appropriate to call them "conspiracy myths" or "conspiracy ideologies"..

The problem with these conspiracy myths is that they by their own nature lead to an extremist worldview that disregards all established ways to gain knowledge (like the scientific method). They can not be disproven in the eyes of their followers since if you try to disprove them, you are either sheep or "part of the system". Discussion based on facts isn't possible (as I said, totalitarianism). People believing in [censored] like flat earth don't need to be discredited, they automatically discredit them self.
ajkula66 wrote:
Uhm. No. The EU as it stands today was concocted in the '90s, the Amsterdam Treaty et al. Someone had to pay for unification of Germany. Nice wealth transfer via Euro (as in currency) mechanism.
The EU is a direct result of the EC that existed before it, which were formed shortly after the war. Also, the Eurozone isn't the same as the EU, many countries like Poland or Hungary do not participate. And the Euro was not a German idea, the French insisted on it. The ones who payed for the German unification were mostly the Germans them self, through special taxes and transfers for Eastern Germany. The Euro was established years after the unification.

dr_st
Admin
Admin

#510 Post by dr_st » Wed May 27, 2020 4:06 pm

Ibthink wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 2:51 pm
The existence of right-wing Jewish people doesn't mean that far-right antisemitism doesn't exist.
Of course it exists, as does far-left antisemitism. And even in the political "center", if there is such a thing, such phenomena can be found. As you can imagine, this is something I know a lot about. For that matter, the overwhelming majority of self-hating Jews, a.k.a. auto-antisemites, belongs, politically, to the far-left.
Thinkpad 25 (20K7), T490 (20N3), Yoga 14 (20FY), T430s (IPS FHD + Classic Keyboard), X220 4291-4BG
X61 7673-V2V, T60 2007-QPG, T42 2373-F7G, X32 (IPS Screen), A31p w/ Ultrabay Numpad

Return to “Off-Topic Stuff”