Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

T450 IPS Upgrade

T430-T490, T530-T590 Series
thatrobguy

T450 IPS Upgrade

#1 Post by thatrobguy » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:39 am

I just bought a used T450 20BUS0SV00 off eBay. So far so good. Just a few simple replacement parts needed, but anyway. The display is terrible. I had been using a Macbook Pro 13' for about the past 4 years and have grown accustomed to an IPS display, the TN one in the 450 is, as I'm sure is known, terrible. The problem is that I don't know *which* display to order to get an IPS screen. There's a whole lot of parts numbers out there, and a whitelist (I've never had luck doing BIOS stuff, it always seems to brick on me), I just want to make sure I get the correct display so that I can use the device and enjoy it, with minimal fuss.

Basically, I just need someone to say "this is the part number you need." Thank you.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: T450 IPS Upgrade

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:20 am

04X5916 is the official Lenovo FRU for an FHD (1920x1080) IPS screen.
It is an LG PHILIPS LP140WF3-SPD1 screen.
If/When you buy this, have the seller confirm and guarantee in writing that you get a genuine LP140WF3-SPD1 and NOT a so-called "compatible" screen.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)

thatrobguy

#3 Post by thatrobguy » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:54 am

do you know if going from a touch display to a non-touch is going to require any cabling done? Or is it just a plug and play?

(Sorry, its been a while since I've done anything beyond ram upgrades.)

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#4 Post by RealBlackStuff » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:00 am

Touch to non-touch (or v.v.) needs a different lid and LCD-cable.

thatrobguy

#5 Post by thatrobguy » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:35 am

RealBlackStuff wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:00 am
Touch to non-touch (or v.v.) needs a different lid and LCD-cable.
Thank you for all of your help. I think i'll just deal with the terrible display for the time being and upgrade it later in spring.

Thinkmad64

#6 Post by Thinkmad64 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:37 am

Hi all!

I know the post is a bit old but thought to post here instead of open a new thread

I'm on the exact same situation as OP, I want to get rid of the horrible original touch panel to a new FHD panel.

I have found the LP140WF3-SDP1 04x5916 that should be whitelisted (but even if the bright control doesn't work I don't care since I run Linux)

My question is if it will be ok just the new screen (with no digitiser) installed with the same original bezel or is not compatible? As per @RealBlackStuff comment I guess no? But I could use some help here,

I don't need touch-screen so don't care lose this feature as long as the screen works and fits well in my machine.

Thanks a lot!

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#7 Post by RealBlackStuff » Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:50 am

Like I said before, going from touch to non-touch needs different lid and LCD-cable, most likely another bezel and webcam as well.
You can try a straight swap and only buy replacements when you find out you do really need them...
(Because you can't always trust what Lenovo claims)

Thinkmad64

#8 Post by Thinkmad64 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:07 pm

Thanks for you reply, I decided to give it a try since is not my main laptop. Got a decent price for a FHD IPS, removed the bezel and original touch-screen and install new one with the original bezel/digitiser), works perfectly fine for now.

I´ve only tested with Linux and bright control works just fine. Screen resolution also recognised 1920x1080 fine. I assume it won't work with Windows since is not original FRU 04x5916 but haven't try yet.

Although the actual screen fits fine in orininal frame, I'd add some double sided tape to make sure it's fixed properly to the bezel. You can feel the new screen just slighly loose, but only when pressing and I don't think will affect much. Also because of the touch model, I have the digitiser plastic on top and it seems affects a bit the color, no as good as when I tried the screen "naked". I might have a look to a non touch bezel model if I find a good price.

Surely the touch screen have extra cable conected to the digitiser, I doubt it can be safely disamble form it in case you want to re-install touch screen, so no back to touch-screen. Good news is that cable, cam, lid and bezel works just fine and will do the trick.

After upgrade the SSD, RAM and now screen, I just need a sata M.2 SSD to add extra storage.

Hope it helps someone on the same situation! The original touch-screen is just horrible