Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Can you help me to install my new ssd which is purchased at the same time

X1/X1-Carbon (X1Cx)/X1-Extreme (X1Ex) series and later, specific matters only
jrjong

Can you help me to install my new ssd which is purchased at the same time

#1 Post by jrjong » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:40 am

Hi there, I purchased the x1 and ssd online, I am just wondering if you guys can help me to install roadrunner email the new ssd to x1, and how much do you charge for that? And if I must install myself, could you please advise me how to do that? Many thanks.
Last edited by jrjong on Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

axur-delmeria
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Re: Can you help me to install my new ssd which is purchased at the same time

#2 Post by axur-delmeria » Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:09 am

What you need is a copy of the Hardware Maintenance Manual (HMM) for your Thinkpad-- it contains the needed instructions for removing and replacing the SSD.

It's readily available online, just a Google search away. Use the complete model name of the X1 including its generation # when searching-- there are three models (X1 Carbon, X1 Tablet, and X1 Extreme) and several generations of each model, so make sure you get the right one.

Read the manual carefully. Have the right tools at hand: it's best to have a set of precision screwdrivers, but usually you can get away with Philips screwdrivers #1, #0, and #00.
Also recommended is a plastic spudger/pry tool to remove the clips that hold the bottom cover: an old credit card will work, so will your fingernails but may hurt. Sometimes, needlepoint pliers are needed, so have them at hand just in case.
Daily driver: X220 4291-C91 i7-2620M

Backup: X601 Core 2 Duo T8100
Toy: X60F Core Solo U1300
On loan: X220 4291-P79 i5-2520M
In pieces: two retired but working X61Ts
RIP: 760XD 9546-U9E; X61 7676-A24; and a BOE-Hydis HV121P01-100 in failed SXGA+ mod
:cry: