Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Recovering/restpring T420,T520, W520 BIOS Splash screens

T400/T410/T420 and T500/T510/T520 Series
wsalomon
Freshman Member

Recovering/restpring T420,T520, W520 BIOS Splash screens

#1 Post by wsalomon » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:02 am

I have a T-420, two T-520s, and W-520 with modified BIOSs (versions 1.52, 1.49, and 1.46 respectively - Oleh's) Originally these had stock BIOSs, and have been reverted to the previous stock BIOS for reflashes (versions 1.51, 1.48, and 1.45 respectively).

In each of these (the T-420, one T-520, W-520, the initial BIOS splash screens have disappeared - either I get a black screen, or the one line about pressing the ThinkVantage button. The other T-520 had a previous modified BIOS (1.48) and never lost the Splash Screen (it was recently resurrected as a spare).

I know that within the BIOS files is the a text file referring to replacing the Splash Screen with one's own (and I have seen several images posted but never tried it). It just seems peculiar when looking through the modified BIOS files there is no Splash Screen image file (like a BMP).

So several questions -
1. Has this happened to anyone else?
2. The stock BIOSs are in .exe (self-extracting, I suppose), so one never sees just what is them, and using something like 7-zip gives a series files that don't mean much.
3. Does anyone know if an extracted stock BIOS Splash screen like this exists to restore the originals.

Thanks in advance.

wsalomon
Freshman Member

Re: Recovering/restpring T420,T520, W520 BIOS Splash screens

#2 Post by wsalomon » Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:49 pm

After more "Googling", I found an answer on Reddit at https://www.reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comme ... sh_screen/

What is pertinent is...
UPDATE: was not the UEFI settings (there was a previous post that this was UEFI realated); Managed to restore the boot logo by setting Advanced>Boot Config>Quick Boot = Disabled and Startup>Boot Mode = Quick (mine was set to Diagnostics..)
To be clear, this is in the BIOS Setup (F1). The "Advanced" menu only appears in the Modified BIOS, in the same location in the Setup Menu Bar where "Date/Time" is (the right of "Config").

Evidently, if one changes this the BIOS "Advanced" mode, the "Quick Boot = Enabled" setting "sticks" even though the BIOS is re-flashed back to the previous "stock" version. Hence there may be a point to resetting to BIOS to "Defaults" that may clear this out and then making your own changes.

The next time I do this I will take a series of screen shots and find a way of posting these for reference. (Many of the Advanced menu options are poorly documented, and others with more experience might be able to comment on them.)