Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Video Output Options for the X1 Carbon

X1/X1-Carbon (X1C) series specific matters only
tirant

Video Output Options for the X1 Carbon

#1 Post by tirant » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:36 am

I'm in the need to buy a new laptop.

I'm considering a Macbook Air 13, and a X1 carbon. The T430U would have an option if it wasn't for such a low-res screen.

As I can see, the X1 has only a mini DP output. How many screens can it drive from that output? Is there any way to attach a VGA and a HDMI screen at the same time?

Thanks.

EditEdit: According to TABOOK:
Intel HD Graphics 4000 in processor
external digital monitor support via Mini DisplayPort
(supports VGA analog monitor via Mini DisplayPort to VGA Monitor Cable 0A36536);
supports dual independent display;
Max external resolution: 2560x1600 (Mini-DisplayPort)@60Hz
It means dual independent display out of the mDP, or just Laptop display + external display?
Thinkpad T42: PM1.7 2048M 14.1in
Thinkpad T23: PIII1.0 640M 14.1in
Thinkpad R61: C2D2.0 2048M 15in

puma
Sophomore Member

Re: Video Output Options for the X1 Carbon

#2 Post by puma » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:12 pm

They make a dock for it that has two dvi ports and a bunch of USB ports.

fjs08
Sophomore Member

#3 Post by fjs08 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:11 am

ZaZ

#4 Post by ZaZ » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:52 pm

There's also the USB 3.0 to DVI/VGA adapter, which according to the specs allows you to do up to six monitors.
ProBook 470 G3

puma
Sophomore Member

#5 Post by puma » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:00 pm

I hooked my x1 c to dual monitors using the dock and took it right back down. The monitor's picture was so washed out I couldn't possibly use this set up as a primary machine. Returning the dock.

killer
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#6 Post by killer » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:40 pm

I would have thought that if you buy an ultrabook then you don't have much need to link it up to another monitor.

Surely the idea with these machines is portability, low weight, connectivity, and no need to be at any one location? :roll:
T540p Win 7 Pro 64

X1 Carbon Win 7 Pro 64 for my wife.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

Dogs must be carried on the escalator. Where can I find a dog?

puma
Sophomore Member

#7 Post by puma » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:11 pm

yea but was hoping to use it as my primary because it's very powerful. When at my office would def want dual monitors and a keyboard.

fjs08
Sophomore Member

#8 Post by fjs08 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:41 am

>>hooked my x1 c to dual monitors using the dock and took it right back down.<<

Is the issue that you are using the dock, or that you are using dual monitors or are you saying that you basically can't hook the X1C to an external monitor???
I too am considering this as a full time computer. I'd love to be able to use it at home off an external monitor.
Thx.
Frank

puma
Sophomore Member

#9 Post by puma » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:44 am

fjs08 wrote:>>hooked my x1 c to dual monitors using the dock and took it right back down.<<

Is the issue that you are using the dock, or that you are using dual monitors or are you saying that you basically can't hook the X1C to an external monitor???
I too am considering this as a full time computer. I'd love to be able to use it at home off an external monitor.
Thx.
Frank
No dock and all works great. I just meant the video card in the laptop doesn't have too much balls I guess. The image on the screen is washed out. It's still perfectly usable though.. it does power dual monitors.

kaczor47

#10 Post by kaczor47 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:03 pm

I am looking into getting the X1C as my primary work machine which would be hooked up to a 1920 x 1080 external monitor via the usb3 dock (along with LAN and other peripherals). I am a bit troubled and perplexed by the comments of poor image quality on the external monitor via the dock. what is the reason for this? Could others with similar setup comment on their experience?

This is really important to me as I will be using this config extensively for a few years...

Thanks in advance.
Lupe: T41 4378-DMU | Dolores: T61 6460-DWU | Eleanor: X301 2777-CTO

puma
Sophomore Member

#11 Post by puma » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:20 pm

I mean if your not doing graphics it's fine. Just a bit washed out in terms of color.

george99

#12 Post by george99 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:09 am

I only have my X1C for about 4 days, and I am really sick of it. I am already shopping around for something else.
I have been a loyal Thinkpad owner for 7 years, and Lenovo as absolutely destroyed the quality product that IBM created. I just "upgraded" from a T410 which I suffered with for 2 years to an X1, and now I miss the T410.

I use 4 external monitors. I have the USB 3.0 dock. 2 monitors from the dock, 1 from the mini displayport, and 1 from a USB 2 to DVI adapter (displaylink).
Even if I just use the 2 from the dock, or just even 1 monitor from the dock, the mouse lag is ridiculous. I bought a doublehea2go which splits the mini displayport into 2 monitors. That helps, but only for the monitors that are connected to it.
However, none of this matters. The entire system runs like crap whenever the dock is connected. I use the dock 75% of the time, and this computer is just not practical for use with a dock.
Unfortunately, the build quality isn't the best either. I have the gap between the screen and the bezel. I have seen several others mention that too. The screen has the screen door effect.

The only positive thing that I can really say about this system is the size and weight. Really a bummer, because I have been waiting for this system for 1 year when it was announced. When it came out, I waited for the i7/8gb version to come out which took a few months longer. Than it took a month for Lenovo to send it. Now that I got it, I want to get rid of it.

puma
Sophomore Member

#13 Post by puma » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:36 am

george99 wrote:I only have my X1C for about 4 days, and I am really sick of it. I am already shopping around for something else.
I have been a loyal Thinkpad owner for 7 years, and Lenovo as absolutely destroyed the quality product that IBM created. I just "upgraded" from a T410 which I suffered with for 2 years to an X1, and now I miss the T410.

I use 4 external monitors. I have the USB 3.0 dock. 2 monitors from the dock, 1 from the mini displayport, and 1 from a USB 2 to DVI adapter (displaylink).
Even if I just use the 2 from the dock, or just even 1 monitor from the dock, the mouse lag is ridiculous. I bought a doublehea2go which splits the mini displayport into 2 monitors. That helps, but only for the monitors that are connected to it.
However, none of this matters. The entire system runs like crap whenever the dock is connected. I use the dock 75% of the time, and this computer is just not practical for use with a dock.
Unfortunately, the build quality isn't the best either. I have the gap between the screen and the bezel. I have seen several others mention that too. The screen has the screen door effect.

The only positive thing that I can really say about this system is the size and weight. Really a bummer, because I have been waiting for this system for 1 year when it was announced. When it came out, I waited for the i7/8gb version to come out which took a few months longer. Than it took a month for Lenovo to send it. Now that I got it, I want to get rid of it.

How did the video output look like on the monitors? For me it was extreme whitewashed. I love this laptop but the screen... it's too much. I gave in, got a new ux31a zenbook.. the display blows me away. The keyboad and trackpad on the x1 is way better but it's not a big deal, not when everything else is so ... well built. When you put the asus display next to the thinkpad x1 carbon's, it makes it look so cheap and crappy, yet the x1 cost 700 more. wtf. If the x1 had an IPS, it would be very nice but would Lenovo would probably charge well over $2000 for it.

ispeedyi

#14 Post by ispeedyi » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:01 pm

I agree with Puma. Just got my X1C Touch for about a week and pairing it with the thinkpad 3.0 USB dock [running dual monitor off the dock]. My old setup was a T61 with an actual docking station, this is the first time i've tried a port replicator type.

The old setup was flawless using the same monitors (except old dock only support one dvi, so i was running a DVI monitor and a VGA), new setup allows for dual DVI connection with the same monitors.

Biggest problems

1. Screen flickering/blur when switching between applications or scrolling within a program (example, using powerpoint, when you are scrolling you will see flickers/blurs of text and picture, very annoying)

2. Mouse lag (you can definitely feel a chop when you initially move the mouse, the pointer also doesn't feel smooth or as responsive)

Unfortunately, like Puma i also use the dock at least 90% of the time when i am at work [70% of the year], and remaining 30% of the time i won't use the dock when traveling. The issues with the dock is really frustrating. Anyone have a workaround? I have already updated all the drivers and even updated the firmware on the dock, still no apparent improvement.

zurubi

#15 Post by zurubi » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:42 am

Folks

I am also contemplating the X1 Carbon and absolutely need 2 external monitors when i'm in the office. Has anyone tried one monitor through the DP (high resolution, say a 30" so it's more than 1900x1200) and one through that USB 3.0 port replicator (or the other adapter) ? Do you still have that mouse lag problem? Is there a decent configuration for 2 external monitors?

Thanks!

zurubi

#16 Post by zurubi » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:37 pm

Folks,

I'd like to update the readers of this post that I ended buying the T430S, mostly because of the video output issue. I've had it for about 2 months and this laptop really rocks. At work I use 2 monitors with super high resolutions (using their dock station, 1 dataport, 1 DVI). It's quite thin, keyboard is excellent, not too heavy, battery life is not bad given that it's not the big, bulgy one, and the sound is surprisingly good.

I strongly recommend this laptop for folks that need more juice than the X1.

ChugokuOtaku
Sophomore Member

#17 Post by ChugokuOtaku » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:05 pm

Does the miniDP port support daisy-chaining?
I'm not sure what version the DP is, but if it's 1.2, it should support Multi-Stream Transport, which allows daisy-chaining with the proper monitor support. The spec sheet for Ivy Bridge chips indicate that they do support DP 1.2

The problem with all the colors being washed out and mouse lag can't really be blamed on the X1, since when you use a USB 3.0 "dock", it's really just having an external video card. USB 3.0, while fast for data transfers, is gonna be somewhat of a bottleneck for external graphics. Something like Thunderbolt would fix that, but as the majority of users have little need for such a port, I can understand why Lenovo omitted it.

X1 Carbon Gen 3, QHD non-Touch, i5, 8gig, 480gig M500
X1 Carbon Gen 1, i5, 8gig, 256gig Sandisk
T420si, i3, 16gig, 256gig M4
x60T SXGA+, 1.5Ghz, 3gig, 80gig X25-M G1
T43 SXGA+, 1.86Ghz, 2gig, 60gig Agility 2 + 160gig 5K80
T42 SXGA+, 1.7Ghz, 2gig, 80gig X18-M G1
x41 / T22 / 380ED