Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

slow boot following display driver update on Optimus T410s

T400/410/420 and T500/510/520 series specific matters only
amardeep
Freshman Member

slow boot following display driver update on Optimus T410s

#1 Post by amardeep » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:45 am

Hi,

I don't like to update drivers as something usually goes wrong, but I'm stuck on IE9 for Win 7 64-bit - if I update to IE10 it starts and pops-up an error box, on which there's a button which when clicked produces an error box ... I think it _might_ be something to do with the display driver, so I decided to finally update the driver. Of course, this has prompted another problem.

On boot-up a black screen is displayed for a good few seconds before the Lenovo splash-screen appears, and this then stays visible for a good few seconds more, certainly a lot more than before. There's no disk activity during this, and once the Windows splash screen appears it boots as fast as normal. Previously the computer used to boot in hurry all the way through, which was really nice. Here's what I did :

* Updated display driver using Lenovo System Update :
Intel 8.15.10.2154 (21/06/2010) to 8.15.10.2401 (21/05/2011)
Nvidia 8.17.12.5738 (27/06/2010) to 9.18.13.1100 (10/01/2013)
(these came together in one update).

* Boot slow.

* Rolled back driver update using Windows Device Manager, but only Nvidia rolled back (according to verisons shown in driver properties under Device Manager). No change in boot speed. Updated again by pressing “Update Driver …” in Device Manager properties for the NVidia display driver which put back the new version (it surprised me that it didn't ask for confirmation, I was intending to see if it suggested some particular level but it just updated).

* Windows Event Viewer (System) shows
Source :HECIx64, General : Intel(R) Management Engine Interface driver has failed to perform handshake with the Firmware.

I don't know if the Intel management service error (yellow exclamation mark against it in Device Manager) is the cause or entirely unrelated. The display update installed by the Lenovo tool didn't create a Windows restore point so I can't go back that way, seems I'm stuck with the newer Intel display driver. I haven't updated my BIOS since I purchased the computer (bit reluctant given the "fun" driver updates usually introduce). Any ideas ?

amardeep
Freshman Member

Re: slow boot following display driver update on Optimus T410s

#2 Post by amardeep » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:33 am

I just timed it, it's about 20s to the Lenovo splash screen (disconcerting when you power on and absolutely nothing happens for 20s) and about 30s more to the Windows starting screen.

I should have said, I also reinstalled the Intel AMT driver :

* Reinstalled driver by downloading “Intel AMT 4.2 Management Engine (ME) Firmware for Windows 7 (32-bit, 64-bit), Vista (32-bit, 64-bit), XP - ThinkPad” from lenovo.com, same version, 6.0.0.1179 (17/09/2009). No change.

amardeep
Freshman Member

#3 Post by amardeep » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:09 pm

Hmm ...

Turned on Intel AMT in BIOS (was off), notification bubble appeared once in Windows mentioning something about installing drivers. Made no difference to boot speed. Turned it off again.

Then I had the bright (ok, obvious) idea to roll back using System Restore to a point a couple of days ago, who cares if it wasn't the exact state before the display driver updates ... and it put the drivers back to how they were. Hooray ! And it made no difference to boot speed ... grrrrr. Something's screwed somewhere. And the ThinkVantage Toolbox flags a device manager alert for the Intel Management Engine Interface (OK, it's just reflecting what's in Device Manager), but I'm pretty sure I never used to have that previously, so I think I have broken that somehow. Again, no idea if this slows boot or not. I may end up updating the BIOS in desperation, and having another go at installing the IMEI driver. Giving up for today.

amardeep
Freshman Member

#4 Post by amardeep » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:44 pm

Well, this is _very_ odd. I disabled the Intel Management Engine Interface device in Device Manager, and that made no difference either (and that's how it's still configured). I gave up and re-applied the graphics driver updates, since if I am stuck with a slow booting system I may as well have the newer drivers. This also fixed the error I had on updating Internet Explorer 9 to 10 (which complained about something involving "nv" which I assumed was NVidia related). I dropped the lid on the machine a day or so later, but without leaving it plugged in and came back to it a day later and it had done that strange thing that Thinkpads now do sometimes, it was as if it was completely turned off when I opened the lid, so I had to power it on. It then booted, I think the battery wasn't flat but I can't remember precisely. Then I realized it had booted quickly. Which it now does all the time (though with two blinks of a cursor at top left just before the Windows part of the boot - no idea if it used to do that or not). I don't know if it will remain in this good state or not, but so far, so good. If you ever end up in this odd situation, you could try powering down and pulling the pwer cable and battery, it might help. Or maybe I just got lucky.