Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

T61 - USB Flash Drive Not Recognized

T60/T61 Series
Post Reply
Message
Author
nsxjohn
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri May 01, 2015 1:11 pm
Location: Nashville, TN

T61 - USB Flash Drive Not Recognized

#1 Post by nsxjohn » Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:40 pm

I have a ThinkPad T61. The USB boot is activated in the BIOS. When I hit F12, it boots fine for USB hard drives and USB optical drives. However, it is having difficulty recognizing USB flash drives. The only one it recognized is a small 1GB flash drive. I need it to recognize flash drives larger than 4GB so I can easily install Windows 10.

This is the only ThinkPad I have encountered that has this problem. USB flash drives of all sizes work on all my other ThinkPads (T43, T400, T420, T430). Any ideas?

teamde78
Freshman Member
Posts: 120
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:18 pm
Location: Amherst, MA

Re: T61 - USB Flash Drive Not Recognized

#2 Post by teamde78 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:44 pm

nsxjohn wrote:I have a ThinkPad T61. The USB boot is activated in the BIOS. When I hit F12, it boots fine for USB hard drives and USB optical drives. However, it is having difficulty recognizing USB flash drives. The only one it recognized is a small 1GB flash drive. I need it to recognize flash drives larger than 4GB so I can easily install Windows 10.

This is the only ThinkPad I have encountered that has this problem. USB flash drives of all sizes work on all my other ThinkPads (T43, T400, T420, T430). Any ideas?
Was the flash-drive in question new or old? Maybe that particular drive is corrupt? I would imagine it would be something wrong with the actual flash-drive itself. If it is reading other's it should be working properly. Never had an issue with larger flash drives before on any of my older Thinkpad models.
Thinkpads: X1C 5th Gen (daily Driver), T430, T60, Z61, T410

thinkpadcollection
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 817
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:13 pm
Location: kingston, ontario, Canada

Re: T61 - USB Flash Drive Not Recognized

#3 Post by thinkpadcollection » Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:25 pm

Start simplest: can you get largest usb flash stick formatted and still picks up no problem on T61? Otherwise problem lies with the usb flash preperation that buries iso image into usb flash stick program is not all equal. Some works best, some fails.

I use rufus.

Cheers, thinkpadcollection

precip9
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 539
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:26 pm
Location: Dresher, PA

Re: T61 - USB Flash Drive Not Recognized

#4 Post by precip9 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:35 pm

A USB flash drive can work fine on Device #1, but not Device #2. If Device #2 is in shape to format the drive, this fixes the problem for Device #2. If the flash drive is now used on Device #3, the problem may occur again, or it may not. Sometimes a format by one particular device will fix it for all the devices that you have. Sometimes it will not.

Usually, the origin of the problem is the software or firmware used to format the drive, not the port it is used on. But it can also indicate a subtle flaw in the flash drive. In that case, replacing the flash drive fixes the problem.
W500x3 with T9900, , T400 highnit 1280x800 with P9600, X61sx3, X61Tx3.

teamde78
Freshman Member
Posts: 120
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:18 pm
Location: Amherst, MA

Re: T61 - USB Flash Drive Not Recognized

#5 Post by teamde78 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:06 pm

precip9 wrote:A USB flash drive can work fine on Device #1, but not Device #2. If Device #2 is in shape to format the drive, this fixes the problem for Device #2. If the flash drive is now used on Device #3, the problem may occur again, or it may not. Sometimes a format by one particular device will fix it for all the devices that you have. Sometimes it will not.

Usually, the origin of the problem is the software or firmware used to format the drive, not the port it is used on. But it can also indicate a subtle flaw in the flash drive. In that case, replacing the flash drive fixes the problem.
I agree. Sounds like the OP's problem is the flash drive itself.
Thinkpads: X1C 5th Gen (daily Driver), T430, T60, Z61, T410

thinkpadcollection
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 817
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:13 pm
Location: kingston, ontario, Canada

Re: T61 - USB Flash Drive Not Recognized

#6 Post by thinkpadcollection » Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:49 pm

That is also right, I had a new usb flash drive called silicon power 16gb fail to boot, no way to fix that even I have a kingston 32gb stick with same controller work as boot.

Cheers, thinkpadcollection

nsxjohn
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri May 01, 2015 1:11 pm
Location: Nashville, TN

Re: T61 - USB Flash Drive Not Recognized

#7 Post by nsxjohn » Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:10 pm

I will try a completely new USB flash drive in this T61.
This T61 is the only ThinkPad I have seen with this problem. In my experience, all other ThinkPads (from T43 through T430s) have recognized all USB flash drives I have ever attempted to boot from.
Thanks for all the replies.

teamde78
Freshman Member
Posts: 120
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:18 pm
Location: Amherst, MA

Re: T61 - USB Flash Drive Not Recognized

#8 Post by teamde78 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:48 am

nsxjohn wrote:I will try a completely new USB flash drive in this T61.
This T61 is the only ThinkPad I have seen with this problem. In my experience, all other ThinkPads (from T43 through T430s) have recognized all USB flash drives I have ever attempted to boot from.
Thanks for all the replies.
Any luck/update?
Thinkpads: X1C 5th Gen (daily Driver), T430, T60, Z61, T410

sdfox7
Sophomore Member
Posts: 131
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:06 pm
Location: Danbury, CT, United States of America

Re: T61 - USB Flash Drive Not Recognized

#9 Post by sdfox7 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:52 am

Are you using a Windows image? Are you formatting the drive as FAT32 or NTFS when attempting this? My T40 has no problems booting from a USB drive. I have used PNY 2.0 FD USB for this purpose.
ThinkPad 600E (Win98); T23 (WinNT 4.0); T41 (Win2000); T61p (WinXP)
My name is Stephen Fox. I am a '18 BBA and '20 MBA student at WCSU.
Disable Google Chrome End of Support Infobar on Windows XP/Vista

nsxjohn
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri May 01, 2015 1:11 pm
Location: Nashville, TN

Re: T61 - USB Flash Drive Not Recognized

#10 Post by nsxjohn » Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:09 pm

teamde78 wrote:
nsxjohn wrote:I will try a completely new USB flash drive in this T61.
This T61 is the only ThinkPad I have seen with this problem. In my experience, all other ThinkPads (from T43 through T430s) have recognized all USB flash drives I have ever attempted to boot from.
Thanks for all the replies.
Any luck/update?
Yes, I tried a new SanDisk USB flash drive and it will boot. So it appears that this T61 is very picky as to which USB drives it will recognize. Every other ThinkPad I have tested has recognized ALL USB flash drives I have used. Never have seen something like this before.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “ThinkPad T60/T61 Series”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 93 guests