Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

W520 wont start. Please Help

W500/W510/W520 and W700/W701 Series
theterminator93
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

Re: W520 wont start. Please Help

#31 Post by theterminator93 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:16 am

Not necessarily. Reboot and enter BIOS by holding F1 as the computer goes through POST, then go to the Config tab and enter the Intel AMT config area. Set the first option to Disabled, then save and exit BIOS and reboot. The next startup will show you that Intel ME is being reconfigured, then the machine will boot up again without it.
T480 with T25 keyboard | T25 | W520 i7-2860QM·Quadro 2000m·IPS FHD | T601F T9900·NVS 140m·LED AFFS UXGA
T420 IPS FHD | X220 IPS FHD | T61p·T61·43·42p|X220T·301·41T·24·23·22|G41|A31p·22m|i1200|TransNote
600|770Z|770|760XD|760EL|701C|755C

MSKFAHIM
Freshman Member

#32 Post by MSKFAHIM » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:41 am

theterminator93 wrote:Not necessarily. Reboot and enter BIOS by holding F1 as the computer goes through POST, then go to the Config tab and enter the Intel AMT config area. Set the first option to Disabled, then save and exit BIOS and reboot. The next startup will show you that Intel ME is being reconfigured, then the machine will boot up again without it.
Sorry, can't seem to find that in my BIOS settings. Here are some screenshots:

http://s16.postimg.org/pziovvjtx/IMG_0308.jpg

http://s16.postimg.org/y7kmgvbqd/IMG_0309.jpg

http://s16.postimg.org/njgvi11r9/IMG_0310.jpg

Can you spot any Intel AMT config thing? I can't!

I don't understand what makes this problem so rare. Can't find enough info on this. Do you think that using a windows 7 professional disc would allow me to fix the start up repair issue without wiping my HDD clean?

UPDATE:

I just took the HDD out and put it back in and restarted the machine. For some reason, this time around, the PC didn't show me the "ME is in recovery mode" error. Right after the ThinkPad logo screen, there was a 40 second like blank screen phase. That's followed by the Starting Windows screen. It seems stuck there for some 10 mins now. MAY BE, if I can repair windows start up, I WILL get my laptop back.

UPDATE 2:

ME error is back. Tried booting the PC without the HDD and this is what I got:

http://s22.postimg.org/netnfs8hd/IMG_0311.jpg

It was followed by a boot option screen where the computer was asking me if it should boot from the DVD drive.

Then, I put the HDD back in and tried to enter safe mode and this happened:

http://s22.postimg.org/wxyqvi6lt/IMG_0312.jpg

It's stuck there for 10 mins now!

imahustla

#33 Post by imahustla » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:27 am

Try remove CMOS battery (that coin battery connected to motherboard) for few minutes and try again. That should reset ME region after you did bios flash again its needed. After that you need to enter new date and time in bios or it will give error again. Although if ME region is corrupted it wont help, it just keep recovering it forever (which it CANT recover)

Cant find any bootable intel managment firmware update, only exe files for windows. If removing cmos battery wont help and you cant disable it completely from bios (someone with knowledge if there is option somewhere) you could also try rollback bios version, older version of bios update could have intel managment firmware in it.

MSKFAHIM
Freshman Member

#34 Post by MSKFAHIM » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:57 am

imahustla wrote:Try remove CMOS battery (that coin battery connected to motherboard) for few minutes and try again. That should reset ME region after you did bios flash again its needed. After that you need to enter new date and time in bios or it will give error again. Although if ME region is corrupted it wont help, it just keep recovering it forever (which it CANT recover)

Cant find any bootable intel managment firmware update, only exe files for windows. If removing cmos battery wont help and you cant disable it completely from bios (someone with knowledge if there is option somewhere) you could also try rollback bios version, older version of bios update could have intel managment firmware in it.
Trying that out right now. What does ME stand for anyway? I might have to find a rollback bios version and hope to god that that'll have the Intel Management config options.

There has got to be a cure for this thing! I didn't do anything to the computer. It all started after those idiots removed the yellow bios battery. They didn't even put the correct one back in. Now I have a blue one. Although the voltage and all that are identical.

imahustla

#35 Post by imahustla » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:31 am

Me region = intel management engine.
What bios version you have currently? And what part number p/n your w520 is, you should see it in bios or sticker on laptop, there could be different bios versions for different models.

EDIT: Scroll down on this page and there are all bootable images (looks like 1.39 package is latest one which updates ME firmware) http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds018887

WARNING: There are important updates on later versions like cpu microcode update and i dont suggest downgrading.. only if its your last choice.
Last edited by imahustla on Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

hhhd1

#36 Post by hhhd1 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:40 pm

MSKFAHIM wrote: There has got to be a cure for this thing! I didn't do anything to the computer. It all started after those idiots removed the yellow bios battery. They didn't even put the correct one back in. Now I have a blue one. Although the voltage and all that are identical.
I have read that if the battery is bad, it could lead to allot of issues,
make sure that the battery you have now is actually good.
===

imahustla

#37 Post by imahustla » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:46 pm

Me region usually gets corrupted during updating bios when something goes wrong. Only had it when laptops where bricked and i used programmer to reflash bios straight to chip, me region problems in acer and hp laptops had different symptoms, sudden shutdowns. No idea what causes this exact problem, maybe this only happens with lenovo?

Any idea if these *tech people* did something else when they where trying to fix your laptop, Example trying to flash bios chip?

MSKFAHIM
Freshman Member

#38 Post by MSKFAHIM » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:20 pm

imahustla wrote:Me region = intel management engine.
What bios version you have currently? And what part number p/n your w520 is, you should see it in bios or sticker on laptop, there could be different bios versions for different models.

EDIT: Scroll down on this page and there are all bootable images (looks like 1.39 package is latest one which updates ME firmware) http://support.lenovo.com/fi/fi/downloads/ds018887

WARNING: There are important updates on later versions like cpu microcode update and i dont suggest downgrading.. only if its your last choice.
My laptop's model is W520 ( TYPE 4276-CTO)

Bios version: 8BET62WW (1.42 )

Embedded Controller version: 8AHT42WW (1.36)

MSKFAHIM
Freshman Member

#39 Post by MSKFAHIM » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:27 pm

imahustla wrote:Me region usually gets corrupted during updating bios when something goes wrong. Only had it when laptops where bricked and i used programmer to reflash bios straight to chip, me region problems in acer and hp laptops had different symptoms, sudden shutdowns. No idea what causes this exact problem, maybe this only happens with lenovo?

Any idea if these *tech people* did something else when they where trying to fix your laptop, Example trying to flash bios chip?
The only thing those "tech people" did that I know for sure is removing my CMOS battery. The ME error started happening since then. However, I do realize that correlation is not causation. I asked them to install the brand new thermal unit that I bought from IBM and they returned the laptop to me saying that they failed to do that. They didn't even explain why they were that incompetent.

P.S. The only bios flashing that I am aware of is what I did recently which I reported on here in detail. I updated the bios.

One strange fact: When those idiots returned my laptop to me, they told me that they couldn't even get it to start. However, I managed to start the PC. It was just displaying some errors, that's it. All I did was press the power button.

I might have to send my laptop to the UK and hope that lenovo's service center there will know how to fix their machine. Honestly, after googling for so many days straight and reading up on so much, I am getting the vibe that not many people know how to fix this.

imahustla

#40 Post by imahustla » Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:07 am

If you dont find AMT config on your bios options then its disabled by bios but probably still supported, depending on the service tag.

You could still try to rollback bios which updates me region like i said before. Even if you brick it, meaning it wont boot after bios update, the only solution is probably same as now, flashing bios chip and you need someone professional to replace the chip or flash with clean bios dump.

Latest bios update which updates Intel Me firmware for W520 is: Package 1.39 Uefi Bios :1.39 (8BUJ17US) ECP: 1.34 (8AHT40WW)1.34 (8XHT40WW)
Scroll down on page and you find txt file and iso file: support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds018887

EDIT: You can also try bios versions prior to 1.39 which would downgrade your me firmware, this should not be possible but you can try. Maybe it just asks if you REALLY want to downgrade, press yes.

Few further tips:
1. Download bootable lenovo system diagnostics and run it for tests, if you find Intel managment firmware version there post it here, link is below:
support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds028698

2. Look here for disabling AMT in bios (if it is supported and active) under *Hints how to setup it via Intel ME BIOS Extension* are key combinations to access it.
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Intel_Act ... logy_(AMT)

3. After flashing different bios versions and error * me in recovery state still * still persists try to remove cmos battery in between for few mins or even overnight. You can also try boot without cmos battery, you should get past error *wrong time and date* to see if that removed *me in recovery state* error.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#41 Post by RealBlackStuff » Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:46 am

MSKFAHIM wrote:I am getting the vibe that not many people know how to fix this.
It needs only 1 incompetent idiot (like your "tech") to ruin an otherwise perfectly working machine.
Before shipping it to the UK, check for a nearerby repair shop in places like Singapore.
Shipping to and from the UK is probably more expensive than buying another laptop.

Also, download the T520-W520 HMM from the HMM link at the top of this page, and study that.
You may be able to do the work yourself, and thus save a lot of mullah!

theterminator93
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#42 Post by theterminator93 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:26 pm

From what I was able to gather in a little searching, it looks like even with ME in a recovery state, that shouldn't prevent you from being able to boot to the OS. For now I'd focus on getting Windows sorted out. You may have better luck resetting Intel AMT/ME from the Windows based utilities out there.

Ref: http://superuser.com/questions/977647/m ... de/1008087
T480 with T25 keyboard | T25 | W520 i7-2860QM·Quadro 2000m·IPS FHD | T601F T9900·NVS 140m·LED AFFS UXGA
T420 IPS FHD | X220 IPS FHD | T61p·T61·43·42p|X220T·301·41T·24·23·22|G41|A31p·22m|i1200|TransNote

MSKFAHIM
Freshman Member

#43 Post by MSKFAHIM » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:57 pm

theterminator93 wrote:From what I was able to gather in a little searching, it looks like even with ME in a recovery state, that shouldn't prevent you from being able to boot to the OS. For now I'd focus on getting Windows sorted out. You may have better luck resetting Intel AMT/ME from the Windows based utilities out there.

Ref: http://superuser.com/questions/977647/m ... de/1008087
I just used a Ubuntu Live disc to boot up my system. It seems to be working fine. I wanted to check if the computer is in worse shape than the OS or not. It seems to me that this is evidence that the OS is more messed up currently than my hardware/firmware issues.

Could I repair my windows using this live disc by any chance?

screenshot: http://s8.postimg.org/icpttaan9/IMG_0358.jpg

theterminator93
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#44 Post by theterminator93 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:18 pm

When Windows gets to the "Starting Windows" screen and just hangs, it could be any one of a great multitude of problems.

Since you couldn't get into safe mode (OS hung after loading CI.dll), by loading a Live CD you can try to examine the last safe mode boot log to see which driver it is hanging on, then rename it temporarily to see if the system loads again in safe mode, located at c:\windows\ntbtlog.txt. Also try to do a chkdsk /r to rule out disk errors (I might recommend using the Mini Windows XP mode found from Hiren's Boot CD, available here: http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/), to run chkdsk from and you can also access and copy your files this way, too.

You could spend hours troubleshooting the Windows boot issue and get nowhere. My recommendation, unfortunately, is to just back up your personal data, wipe the HDD and reinstall Windows and your programs and go from there. The amount of time it will take to do that is most likely less than what repairing the OS, if possible, would take. I'd be more than happy to give you a link to the Lenovo Windows 7 recovery disks for the T420 that I have, which barring a couple drivers, will work fine on the W520.

imahustla

#45 Post by imahustla » Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:27 pm

When you are using ubuntu live disc try sleep mode, does it wake up after you close lid example? If not then its not operating system related issue.
Did you try those key combinations to access amt and use try default settings or disabling it?

If you can somehow get windows working try downgrading your intel me firmware to earlier version :
support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-w-series-laptops/thinkpad-w520/downloads/DS032116

MSKFAHIM
Freshman Member

#46 Post by MSKFAHIM » Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:17 pm

theterminator93 wrote:When Windows gets to the "Starting Windows" screen and just hangs, it could be any one of a great multitude of problems.

Since you couldn't get into safe mode (OS hung after loading CI.dll), by loading a Live CD you can try to examine the last safe mode boot log to see which driver it is hanging on, then rename it temporarily to see if the system loads again in safe mode, located at c:\windows\ntbtlog.txt. Also try to do a chkdsk /r to rule out disk errors (I might recommend using the Mini Windows XP mode found from Hiren's Boot CD, available here: http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/), to run chkdsk from and you can also access and copy your files this way, too.

You could spend hours troubleshooting the Windows boot issue and get nowhere. My recommendation, unfortunately, is to just back up your personal data, wipe the HDD and reinstall Windows and your programs and go from there. The amount of time it will take to do that is most likely less than what repairing the OS, if possible, would take. I'd be more than happy to give you a link to the Lenovo Windows 7 recovery disks for the T420 that I have, which barring a couple drivers, will work fine on the W520.
I was actually thinking about backing up my HDD and then going for a clean installation. Would backing up an image of my HDD on an external HDD ensure that literally every file from my laptop's HDD will be backed up? I don't know if it'd be possible to use windows explorer to browse through the contents of that image and copy paste things into my new drive.

I'm going to lose all the lenovo bloatwares if I do that, won't I? Wish I had access to a recovery disk for W520. Not sure how many drivers of the T420 would work for my W520. Alternatively, I guess I have to manually download a tonne of stuff from the lenovo support site.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#47 Post by RealBlackStuff » Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:51 pm

Programs like Acronis TrueImage let you take an image of your current drive onto another HD or SSD.
You can then access any file from that image to copy/paste onto a new drive.

theterminator93
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#48 Post by theterminator93 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:47 pm

If you use a Lenovo set of OS recovery DVDs and omit the applications/drivers DVDs, you'll get no bloatware - although you will need to hunt down any drivers Windows doesn't come with. I usually only install the required drivers, Power Manager and the hotkey/OSD applications.

MSKFAHIM
Freshman Member

#49 Post by MSKFAHIM » Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:58 am

Alright, I need some help with the back up. This is the problem:

The laptop I can use right now for the back up thing doesn't have more than one functioning USB ports!! There are two others that just doesn't work for some reason. I will do a fresh installation of windows on this one after I am done with my laptop. Anyway, this laptop doesn't have enough space for me to save the disk image on this laptop. Therefore, this is what I was thinking about doing:

- Use the Ubuntu Live CD to boot up my Thinkpad
- IF IT IS possible, connect the external HDD to my Thinkpad and save the disk image of Thinkpad on the external HDD.
- Once that is done, I can do a fresh windows install on my Thinkpad.
- Once Windows is up and running on it, I can plug my external HDD back into my Thinkpad and just copy paste files from there to my new windows.

Is this doable?

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#50 Post by RealBlackStuff » Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:35 am

Files yes, programs no.
You'll also need to install any non-Lenovo programs from scratch.

MSKFAHIM
Freshman Member

#51 Post by MSKFAHIM » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:14 am

RealBlackStuff wrote:Files yes, programs no.
You'll also need to install any non-Lenovo programs from scratch.
Where will the program files go then? I don't need functional programs. I just need the files in the folders of those programs to be intact. For example, certain programs might have my configuration file saved in it's installation directory. Would I still get access to that? Certain programs stores logs and images into the installation directory or AppData or whatever. Will they still be retrievable from the image? I just want an explore-able image of my current laptop HDD which will contain every single file identical to what is in the HDD. As long as I have that, I can go ahead with a clean install of windows. I will manually install all of my programs and lenovo utilities/drivers after my windows installation is up and running.

I just want to be sure that no such data/app data/program files/etc will go missing.

Now, can this be done using my Ubuntu Live disk? I am running Ubuntu 14.10 using a live CD.

Edit: What if I just copied all the contents of the C drive into the external HDD? I won't be using the windows files and wont try to use any files from here to boot anything. I'd just be concerned about the files on my drive being present still. For example: images/music/videos/ program files/ config files/ etc. I don't plan on using this copy for anything other than manually going through them to retrieve the files I want.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#52 Post by RealBlackStuff » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:05 am

Don't you read the posts?
RealBlackStuff wrote:Programs like Acronis TrueImage let you take an image of your current drive onto another HD or SSD.

MSKFAHIM
Freshman Member

#53 Post by MSKFAHIM » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:14 am

RealBlackStuff wrote:Don't you read the posts?
RealBlackStuff wrote:Programs like Acronis TrueImage let you take an image of your current drive onto another HD or SSD.
I knew that. But my problem right now is that I have to run such programs on this PC that I am using to post on here. This PC has only ONE USB port. Therefore, I cannot connect both the source and destination drives (Thinkpad HDD and External HDD) to it for the program to do its thing.

It's 10 PM here. Therefore, I won't be able to go find another laptop with 2 USB ports or a USB hub.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#54 Post by RealBlackStuff » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:18 am

In that case I suggest you buy a new HD/SSD.
After your fresh install, you can then hook up your old HD via USB to copy files from it.

deforest
Freshman Member

#55 Post by deforest » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:42 am

Connect a usb hub to the USB port
MSKFAHIM wrote:
RealBlackStuff wrote:Don't you read the posts?
I knew that. But my problem right now is that I have to run such programs on this PC that I am using to post on here. This PC has only ONE USB port. Therefore, I cannot connect both the source and destination drives (Thinkpad HDD and External HDD) to it for the program to do its thing.

It's 10 PM here. Therefore, I won't be able to go find another laptop with 2 USB ports or a USB hub.

MSKFAHIM
Freshman Member

#56 Post by MSKFAHIM » Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:31 pm

RealBlackStuff wrote:In that case I suggest you buy a new HD/SSD.
After your fresh install, you can then hook up your old HD via USB to copy files from it.

I will buy a 1 TB internal HDD tomorrow and do a fresh install and file transfer from the old HDD.

What kind of split do you recommend for the partitioning? 300-350 GB for C* and 650-700 GB for D? Would that work fine? Could I also install programs in the D drive if I think I am using up the C drive?

* C will host the OS and programs

theterminator93
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#57 Post by theterminator93 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:48 pm

I'll give myself ~1/3 for C and 2/3 for D if I split partition; I move my downloads and most programs to D (yes, you can have programs install on D, just change the install path in "advanced" in setup options when you install the programs).

MSKFAHIM
Freshman Member

#58 Post by MSKFAHIM » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:02 am

Got my new HDD and installed windows 7 professional on it. Now I have 2 problems:

1. Just how in the world did the Windows installation turn Lenovo???? Please view the screenshots:

http://s8.postimg.org/eu2roi0md/IMG_0382.jpg

http://s8.postimg.org/irq1dwnfp/IMG_0383.jpg

http://s8.postimg.org/4zg7w0m1x/IMG_0384.jpg

2. My PC doesn't seem to have any connection to the internet. Do I have to install all the drivers manually now? :O I expected windows to be able to use my wifi card at least for now.

P.S. Plugging in a USB stick is doing nothing. I have tested the stick with other computers. How am I supposed to install the drivers this way!

theterminator93
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#59 Post by theterminator93 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:50 am

It's a customized OEM Windows install (although I've never seen that version before). As for drivers, use the hardware ID in Device Manager to definitively identify the device, then burn a CD or DVD with the drivers. Also make sure you're not trying to use the USB 3 ports; Windows certainly won't have built in support for those out-of-box.

MSKFAHIM
Freshman Member

#60 Post by MSKFAHIM » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:34 am

theterminator93 wrote:It's a customized OEM Windows install (although I've never seen that version before). As for drivers, use the hardware ID in Device Manager to definitively identify the device, then burn a CD or DVD with the drivers. Also make sure you're not trying to use the USB 3 ports; Windows certainly won't have built in support for those out-of-box.
I have taken a shortcut. I booted up the machine using ubuntu live disk. Downloading the wifi driver now and saving it on my C drive. I plan on then booting up windows and updating the Intel wifi driver. That should give me access to the internet on the machine, correct? Once that is done, I can donwload the ThinkVantage System update.

Would that work?

P.S. Just what in the world is a customzed OEM Windows install. How did that even happen? Not to mention that it sucks that this version has no drivers installed for me to even attempt to download better ones.

Edit: It worked. My wifi is up and running. I am installing .Net Framework so that I can run the ThinkPad System Update tool. That is supposed to update all my drivers for me. At least most of them. Windows update is stuck at "checking for updates..."

another interesting fact: It didn't ask me for the product key in any part of the installation!