Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Thinkpad T60 SSD upgrade FAIL

T60/T61 series specific matters only
ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

Re: Thinkpad T60 SSD upgrade FAIL

#31 Post by ajkula66 » Wed May 22, 2019 12:27 pm

teppy wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 12:12 pm

I am not sure what to do next. It is true that the HDD has a confirmed error as per the Lenovo diagnostic tool, but that doesn't seem to be the core issue as the problem is still happening when the HDD is removed and Linux loads from the USB stick.

Given the above info, what seems to be the most likely culprit of the crashing - motherboard/ATI/CPU?

Thanks very much for any more ideas.
A couple of thoughts:

1) You can buy a used battery for $10 and flash the BIOS. That would be my first step.

2) I've experienced issues with Linux freezing on *60/61 series even with the hard drive removed. If you have another hard drive try it out and see what happens. If not, a test drive can be bought for another $10. Heck, I could give you one for free if you can meet me in the city the next time I'm there which may not be all that soon...

3) The culprit ? A defective graphics card on these machines usually produces pixelated images, which I don't believe I've seen in your list of complaints. While it's possible that the CPU is defective, that would be the last one of my list of possible suspects. And the cheapest one to replace by far. That leaves us with the motherboard, but until you install a new drive and try to get the system going, it's pretty tough to determine.

Good luck.
...Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules...(King Crimson)

Cheers,

George (your grouchy retired FlexView farmer)

FlexView AARP club members:A31p, T43pSF, X60T

Abused daily: X200s

PMs requesting personal tech support will be ignored.

DartMan68

#32 Post by DartMan68 » Wed May 22, 2019 3:04 pm

You're welcome. You're right, concerning flashing BIOS without a battery. I've done it before, and it's not all that hard, but I prefer to have a decent battery and flash by USB or CD. Simpler and easier.

Concerning the hard drive, I suggest using SeaTools for DOS to run both the Short and Long tests. Even if the drive is not a Seagate, it most often will still detect and be able to run the tests. SeaTools is available as a stand-alone .iso that you can burn to CD or create a USB with.

I forgot to ask, but did an older version of Windows run fine on your machine before you put 10 on it? If it did, then I don't believe the motherboard or CPU is faulty.

I 2nd ajkula66 as concerning what steps to take next.

1.) Get a decent used 6-cell (cheaper) battery, download and burn the latest available BIOS for your T60 (Middleton's or OEM), flash it, and test with Linux. See what happens.

2.) Get a decent used Seagate or Samsung hard drive, or older SSD, and test with Linux. See what happens.

I think one of the above 2 steps should solve it. If they don't, only then would I consider the motherboard as being at fault.
Lenovo TP T61p MTM 6460-DVU T9300 4GB 128GB SSD WSXGA+ nVidia FX570m
Lenovo TP T61p MTM 6457-W3P T7700 4GB 128GB SSD *WSXGA+ **Intel X3100
*(repl. dim Samsung WUXGA) **(repl. faulty FX570m)

DartMan68

#33 Post by DartMan68 » Wed May 22, 2019 3:32 pm

teppy wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 9:42 am

1. Problem with hard drive. I ran the lenovo hard drive tool from the BIOS and it came back with an "Error 0000: Read Verification Failed."

2. Outdated BIOS. My T60 has a BIOS from 2006. I understand that the latest version is 2.27 from 2011. I read on this blog: https://richardg867.wordpress.com/ - that the 2.27 BIOS helps a freezing error in Linux that has something to do with the BIOS and the ATI graphics. I wasn't able to flash the bios because I have a dead T60 battery and run the machine exclusively from an outlet. As a security measure, Lenovo will not allow the T60 Bios to be flashed unless the battery is working and fully charged.

3. ATI Graphics - I also read that the newer versions of Linux Mint have a problem with the ATi Radeon x1300/x1400. I tried booting the live session with nomodeset, but the machine still crashed.
Based on what you say here, I believe the BIOS is at fault, followed by the hard drive. Once you do the first steps ajkula66 and I refer to, I think it will be solved and you could find a workaround if need be for Linux and the ATI graphics. I prefer using proprietary drivers for mine, but the distros I've used also include Linux nVidia Nouveau free drivers. It's possible that Mint and others have a version of that for ATI graphics, proprietary and free. Worth checking.

teppy

#34 Post by teppy » Wed May 22, 2019 11:10 pm

DartMan68 wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 3:04 pm
You're welcome. You're right, concerning flashing BIOS without a battery. I've done it before, and it's not all that hard, but I prefer to have a decent battery and flash by USB or CD. Simpler and easier.

Concerning the hard drive, I suggest using SeaTools for DOS to run both the Short and Long tests. Even if the drive is not a Seagate, it most often will still detect and be able to run the tests. SeaTools is available as a stand-alone .iso that you can burn to CD or create a USB with.

I forgot to ask, but did an older version of Windows run fine on your machine before you put 10 on it? If it did, then I don't believe the motherboard or CPU is faulty.

1.) Get a decent used 6-cell (cheaper) battery, download and burn the latest available BIOS for your T60 (Middleton's or OEM), flash it, and test with Linux. See what happens.

2.) Get a decent used Seagate or Samsung hard drive, or older SSD, and test with Linux. See what happens.

I think one of the above 2 steps should solve it. If they don't, only then would I consider the motherboard as being at fault.
Thanks, Dartman and ajkula66 for your replies.

I will likely go ahead and buy a replacement battery on ebay and then flash the bios.

Regarding the drive, do you have a recommendation for a *cheap* drive that is compatible with the T60 (SSD and HDD recommendations much appreciated)?

AJkula66 - thanks for offering a drive, but I really thank you for your kind reply :)

I'm confused about why the HDD would be causing the issue - especially for the linux crash from usb stick - but I guess I don't need to know.

Dartman - regarding your question:

The T60 ran Win XP, WIn 8 and WIn 10 fine. With Windows 10, I had to find a work-around for the ati drivers as they are not approved with Win 10. I forgot what the work-around was. The T60 only started locking up on Windows 10 last year, I think. Previously, the T60 also ran a dual boot of WIn XP and an older version of Ubuntu just fine (but thsi was 10 years ago, I think).

I will look into SeaTools and run it on the current drive. Thanks for the tip.

I'll appreciate any drive recommendations.

Thanks again.

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

#35 Post by ajkula66 » Wed May 22, 2019 11:14 pm

Any 2.5" SATA drive - be it HDD or SSD - is compatible with T60. The standard height at the time was 9mm, but 7mm drives can also be used.

Whatever fits your needs when it comes to size and price will work. If you're going with an SSD, I would stay away from the old drives using a SandForce controller, everything else should be fine even if buying used.

Good luck.

Cheers,

teppy

#36 Post by teppy » Thu May 23, 2019 9:21 am

ajkula66 wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 11:14 pm
Any 2.5" SATA drive - be it HDD or SSD - is compatible with T60. The standard height at the time was 9mm, but 7mm drives can also be used.

Whatever fits your needs when it comes to size and price will work. If you're going with an SSD, I would stay away from the old drives using a SandForce controller, everything else should be fine even if buying used.

Good luck.
Thanks. I've heard about SandForce. Is there an easy way to identify which drives have /don't have it? Do you know if the solid stad drives need a different drive caddy than the HDDs?

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

#37 Post by ajkula66 » Thu May 23, 2019 9:40 am

teppy wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 9:21 am

Thanks. I've heard about SandForce. Is there an easy way to identify which drives have /don't have it? Do you know if the solid stad drives need a different drive caddy than the HDDs?
Off the top of my head...older OCZ, Mushkin, some Intel drives such as 530...once you see something that youćre interested in, just Google the specs. You can use the same caddy for the SSD as you would with the HDD.

Good luck.

Cheers,

teppy

#38 Post by teppy » Thu May 23, 2019 9:48 am

DartMan68 wrote:

I just tried to run SeaTools. I burned the ISO image to CD. After SeaTools loaded from boot, it successfully identified the hard drive." However, when I hovered over the menu to begin the test, the program crashed just like Linux on USB stick and Windows on the HDD.

FYI - I am also having trouble booting consistently from the DVD drive. I have the DVD as the first item, but the drive only booted SeaTools one time. On three other attempts, it simply returned a blank screen after the "Thinkpad" start up screen, and the DVD motor did not sound.

Does the SeaTools failure (or boot failure) suggest a further hardware problem outside of HDD or a problem outside of Bios needing update?

Thanks again (ajkula66 - thanks for hard drive info).

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

#39 Post by ajkula66 » Thu May 23, 2019 12:55 pm

Some of your headaches might go away once a working battery is installed in the system.

Good luck.

Cheers,

DartMan68

#40 Post by DartMan68 » Thu May 23, 2019 9:42 pm

teppy wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 11:10 pm
DartMan68 wrote:

Thanks, Dartman and ajkula66 for your replies.

I will likely go ahead and buy a replacement battery on ebay and then flash the bios.

Regarding the drive, do you have a recommendation for a *cheap* drive that is compatible with the T60 (SSD and HDD recommendations much appreciated)?

I'm confused about why the HDD would be causing the issue - especially for the linux crash from usb stick - but I guess I don't need to know.

Dartman - regarding your question:

The T60 ran Win XP, WIn 8 and WIn 10 fine. With Windows 10, I had to find a work-around for the ati drivers as they are not approved with Win 10. I forgot what the work-around was. The T60 only started locking up on Windows 10 last year, I think. Previously, the T60 also ran a dual boot of WIn XP and an older version of Ubuntu just fine (but thsi was 10 years ago, I think).

I will look into SeaTools and run it on the current drive. Thanks for the tip.

I'll appreciate any drive recommendations.

Thanks again.
You're welcome. Concerning the hard drive or SSD, it's a quirk of mine, but I prefer to install SSD's from later-model ThinkPads, up to the T440/T540. I'm currently using two OEM Lenovo-Samsungs. one an MZ7TD1280 (p/n 45N8424), the other an MZ7TD2560 (p/n 45N8426). Those are PM840/840 generation and have given me no troubles.

I believe the hard drive is a separate issue, since the system freezes and crashes even without that installed. Since you said Windows 10 had run fine before, changes made in later versions made it to be screwy with your older hardware. It makes me wish they'd allow one to block install/upgrade to later versions once a version that works fine is installed.

I 2nd ajkula66 in reference to the battery. Let's start with getting a battery, flashing either OEM latest or Zender's BIOS, and testing with live Linux USB and see what happens. Step one on the train of process of elimination. And go from there.

teppy

#41 Post by teppy » Fri May 24, 2019 2:53 pm

DartMan68 wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 9:42 pm

You're welcome. Concerning the hard drive or SSD, it's a quirk of mine, but I prefer to install SSD's from later-model ThinkPads, up to the T440/T540. I'm currently using two OEM Lenovo-Samsungs. one an MZ7TD1280 (p/n 45N8424), the other an MZ7TD2560 (p/n 45N8426). Those are PM840/840 generation and have given me no troubles.

I believe the hard drive is a separate issue, since the system freezes and crashes even without that installed. Since you said Windows 10 had run fine before, changes made in later versions made it to be screwy with your older hardware. It makes me wish they'd allow one to block install/upgrade to later versions once a version that works fine is installed.

I 2nd ajkula66 in reference to the battery. Let's start with getting a battery, flashing either OEM latest or Zender's BIOS, and testing with live Linux USB and see what happens. Step one on the train of process of elimination. And go from there.
Ok. Thanks for the drive information.

I'm going to get a battery (compatible no-name off ebay) and report back.

Thanks again, Dartman68 and ajukla66.

DartMan68

#42 Post by DartMan68 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:25 am

teppy wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 2:53 pm
DartMan68 wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 9:42 pm

Ok. Thanks for the drive information.

I'm going to get a battery (compatible no-name off ebay) and report back.

Thanks again, Dartman68 and ajukla66.
You're welcome. I do hope you get it sorted. I agree with you when you said this...

"The reason why I'm puttering around with this at all, is that I really am very partial to the wonderful build-quality, screen and keyboard of my old T60 and would like to keep it in some form."

That's the main reason I like the T40-43 and T60 through T500.