Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Time for a "what distro are you running" thread...

Linux on ThinkPads
Message
Author
Hierax_ca
Freshman Member
Posts: 106
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:06 am
Location: Victoria, BC, Canada

Re: Time for a "what distro are you running" thread...

#61 Post by Hierax_ca » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:29 pm

Since a few others of you are also successfully running MX Linux on your Thinkpads, it might be appropriate to let you know that the MX Linux team is looking for feedback on Thinkpads so they can keep on improving:

- https://forum.mxlinux.org/viewtopic.php?f=101&t=39270

I've posted the inxi info and my comments about how MX Linux is working on my own Thinkpads and it would be great to have more data to improve things for all of us Linux-using Thinkpad lovers. Even if you don't use MX, I'm sure the developers of whatever distribution of Linux you are using would appreciate feedback too -- Linux is free but we are all stronger when we share our knowledge!

Thank You!
Toshiba (93-98): t3400(ct), 3600ct, 610ct, 620ct, 660cdt, 490xcdt, 780cdm/dvd

IBM (95-06): 701c*(s) Butterfly, 600(e,x*), A31p*, T43(S*, p,+pS*)

Lenovo (07-12): t60h, T601pF*, x60t+, x61t+*,
W500, W700(ds), W701, x301*, x200t, x220t, x220*, W520*

Mac (04+11): iMac G4 20", MacBook Pro 17"

Zach123
Freshman Member
Posts: 73
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:55 pm
Location: Winthrop, Massachusetts

Re: Time for a "what distro are you running" thread...

#62 Post by Zach123 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:26 pm

I use Manjaro with Gnome on my R400.With my SSD things run insanely fast :D
Last edited by Zach123 on Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Daily Drivers:

lenovo ThinkPad R400 (Desktop/Workstation)/C2D T9550/2GB ram/Intel 4500MHD/256GB Samsung SSD (Win 10)

lenovo ThinkPad R61i (Portable)/C2D T8100/4GB Ram/Intel X3100/320GB Segate HDD (Win 10/Ubuntu 18.04)

Collection: T60p, TR452, R31

WarhawkCZ
Freshman Member
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:07 pm
Location: Germany, Czechia

Re: Time for a "what distro are you running" thread...

#63 Post by WarhawkCZ » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:09 pm

Hierax_ca wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:29 pm
Since a few others of you are also successfully running MX Linux on your Thinkpads, it might be appropriate to let you know that the MX Linux team is looking for feedback on Thinkpads so they can keep on improving:

- https://forum.mxlinux.org/viewtopic.php?f=101&t=39270

I've posted the inxi info and my comments about how MX Linux is working on my own Thinkpads and it would be great to have more data to improve things for all of us Linux-using Thinkpad lovers. Even if you don't use MX, I'm sure the developers of whatever distribution of Linux you are using would appreciate feedback too -- Linux is free but we are all stronger when we share our knowledge!

Thank You!
x61 works out of the box without any additional tweaks or modifications. I was struggling a bit with my t430. Everytime I docked the laptop, my external screens settings got messed up. I described my problem and the solution here. It still does not work 100%. Sometimes I need to re-dock to get the configuration right.

Q: I am new to the linux world. I understand, that TLP does not work with any profiles - no "on-demand" or "maximum performance". Is this correct?

Rs125
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:19 pm
Location: Seattle, Washington

Re: Time for a "what distro are you running" thread...

#64 Post by Rs125 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:42 pm

Ubuntu Mate 18.04 on my T60, runs good. Have tried WATTOS also.
We got some rules to follow,
That and this, these and those...

T60 T7200 @ 2Ghz 2GB ram W7ult
T43 in progress

pm23885
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:52 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Time for a "what distro are you running" thread...

#65 Post by pm23885 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:59 pm

Hello everyone, this is my first post. I run Debian and Arch on i3.
x61 x220 x230 t61 t420 t430 a475

Thinkpad4by3
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder
Posts: 1802
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:25 am
Location: N. Bellmore, ny

Re: Time for a "what distro are you running" thread...

#66 Post by Thinkpad4by3 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:12 pm

pm23885 wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:59 pm
Hello everyone, this is my first post. I run Debian and Arch on i3.
Welcome to the Forums.
Thinkpad4by3's Law of the Universe.

The efficiency of two screens equally sized with equal numbers if pixels are equal. The time spent by a 4:3 user complaining about 16:9 is proportional to the inefficiency working with a 16:9 display, therefore the amount of useful work extracted is equal.

pm23885
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:52 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Time for a "what distro are you running" thread...

#67 Post by pm23885 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:10 pm

Thinkpad4by3 wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:12 pm
pm23885 wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:59 pm
Hello everyone, this is my first post. I run Debian and Arch on i3.
Welcome to the Forums.
Thanks so much. Pretty much a very recent Thinkpad convert. This site is such full of information.
x61 x220 x230 t61 t420 t430 a475

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Linux Questions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests