Hi all, long time non registered reader here coming in peace I bought last weekend a T420 which was still at bios version 1.36 which I meanwhile updated to version 1.46 or the last bios version which allows downgrading if needed. So far I did not need a custom bios but would like to keep my options available. My T420 is running Debian Stretch, all working amazing, except there is one issue where the laptop when cold does not boot the first time, second attempt seems to work each time but still it annoys me a lot. The beep error code on first cold boot attempt is one short beep, pause, three short beeps, pause, three more short beeps, and one short beep indicating a DIMM or system board issue, although when booted succesfully the laptop works rocksolid for hours with multiple succesful reboots. I thought a bios update could maybe solve this issue but with version 1.46 the issue still persists.UEFI: 1.52 / ECP: 1.20
-[Important] Security fix addresses LEN-22133 Speculative Execution Side Channel Variants 4 and 3a (CVE-2018-3639, CVE-2018-3640). Refer to Lenovofs Security Advisory page for additional information. (https://support.lenovo.com/product_security/home)
UEFI: 1.51 / ECP: 1.20
- [Important] Security fix addresses LEN-19568 Intel Active Management Technology MEBx Access Control Bypass.
UEFI: 1.50 / ECP: 1.20
- [Important] Enhancement to address CVE-2017-5715.
UEFI: 1.49 / ECP: 1.20
- [Important] Security fix addresses LEN-8324 System Management Mode (SMM) BIOS Vulnerability.
- (Fix) Fixed an issue where the brightness control might not work on Windows XP.
UEFI: 1.48 / ECP: 1.20
- [Important] Security fix addresses LEN-2015-002 SMM "Incursion" Attack and some security fixes.
- (Fix) Fixed an issue where the computer might not enter Startup interrupt menu.
(Note) If the UEFI BIOS has been updated to version 1.48 or higher, it is no longerable to roll back to the version before 1.48 for security improvement.
UEFI: 1.46 / ECP: 1.20
- (New) Updated the CPU microcode.
- (Fix) Corrected the help message for enabling the microphone in the BIOS Setup.
source: https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/be/en/prod ... s/ds018785
My question now, I really want to update the bios if my issue will be solved and if the spectre fix does not substantially impact the T420 performance. Anyone here able to provide feedback on the performance after applying the spectre fix? Thanks