Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Thinkpad 701CS screen problem

Older ThinkPads.. from the 600, the 7xx, the iSeries, 300, 500, the Transnote and, of course, the 701
Xundi

Thinkpad 701CS screen problem

#1 Post by Xundi » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:16 pm

Hello!

Some time ago I have successfully acquired an incomplete 701CS from a local marketplace for a relatively cheap price. :mrgreen:
It had no hdd, hdd caddy, battery, faulty charger, oxidation on top and bottom boards and untouched leaking cmos battery. But I tought I need to start somewhere.
At that time I only had time to quickly disassemble it and replace the cmos battery plus a bit of oxidation removing activity, but without any place and way to test the machine actual state.

Now when I have finally found (a lot of) time to reassemble at last, stuck at a peculiar problem.
On powering on the laptop, the screen only displays a bluish-greenish inhomogeneous thing.
As it seems, it is actually displays the correct things without any contrast. It can only be seen from a couple of centimeters.
Picture (1Mb large)

Please, anybody have an idea about this issue? :cry: I tried to reseat the lcd ribbon cable, but no change.
I have a faint suspicion of the inverter card, but without a spare one, I would like to be more certain about it before trying to buy a spare part.

Thanks in advance,

Thinkpad4by3
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Re: Thinkpad 701CS screen problem

#2 Post by Thinkpad4by3 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:31 pm

You can use the Fn+Home and Fn+End to adjust the contrast(might be PgUp and PgDn, its the icon that is a circle, half white and half black.) The blueish green pattern on the screen is part of the old DSTN technology. They get burn-in and there is nothing you can do about it. All of those screen have it if they are used.
Thinkpad4by3's Law of the Universe.

The efficiency of two screens equally sized with equal numbers if pixels are equal. The time spent by a 4:3 user complaining about 16:9 is proportional to the inefficiency working with a 16:9 display, therefore the amount of useful work extracted is equal.

Xundi

#3 Post by Xundi » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:54 pm

Thinkpad4by3 wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:31 pm
You can use the Fn+Home and Fn+End to adjust the contrast(might be PgUp and PgDn, its the icon that is a circle, half white and half black.) The blueish green pattern on the screen is part of the old DSTN technology. They get burn-in and there is nothing you can do about it. All of those screen have it if they are used.
I'm pretty sure that I have already tried this trick.
But I will definitely try it again after reassembling. :thumbs-UP:
Thanks for the tip!

Xundi

#4 Post by Xundi » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:12 pm

Finally, I had time to investigate this issue and re-assembly the whole machine again from scratch.
The culprit is the lcd "ribbon" cable. :(
With the keyboard bezel is on and pinching the rolled up ribbon cable from both side, the screen is working in some position.
Anybody have an idea how can I repair that, or how to get a replacement part for that?

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#5 Post by RealBlackStuff » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:19 pm

Replacement LCD cable 04H8329 here: https://www.impactcomputers.com/ibm-par ... h8329.html
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)

Check out The Boardroom for Parts, Mods and Other Services.

Xundi

#6 Post by Xundi » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:09 pm

RealBlackStuff wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:19 pm
Replacement LCD cable 04H8329 here: https://www.impactcomputers.com/ibm-par ... h8329.html
Thank you so much for the help!
The shipping fees are a bit too much here for posting it to central europe, but at least I have hope to find the cable part in a webshop. :D

TheForgottenKing
Sophomore Member

#7 Post by TheForgottenKing » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:07 am

Might want to try contacting this guy and asking to buy a cable.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/IBM-Thinkpad-7 ... 3921849372

Xundi

#8 Post by Xundi » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:58 am

TheForgottenKing wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:07 am
Might want to try contacting this guy and asking to buy a cable.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/IBM-Thinkpad-7 ... 3921849372
It is indeed a marvelous pack, but sadly he does not ships outside of the US (or at least the ebay telling this).
I will try to contact him nevertheless, thanks for the tip!

Edit:
Wow, I'm not even able to contact him with my account. :eek:
https://imgur.com/a/5RI3xl5

TheForgottenKing
Sophomore Member

#9 Post by TheForgottenKing » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:44 pm

Sent him a message for you. I might have one. Can you send a pic of your cable? Also try asking forum member hwattys