Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Thinkpad 701CS screen problem

Older ThinkPads.. from the 600, the 7xx, the iSeries, 300, 500, the Transnote and, of course, the 701
Xundi

Thinkpad 701CS screen problem

#1 Post by Xundi » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:16 pm

Hello!

Some time ago I have successfully acquired an incomplete 701CS from a local marketplace for a relatively cheap price. :mrgreen:
It had no hdd, hdd caddy, battery, faulty charger, oxidation on top and bottom boards and untouched leaking cmos battery. But I tought I need to start somewhere.
At that time I only had time to quickly disassemble it and replace the cmos battery plus a bit of oxidation removing activity, but without any place and way to test the machine actual state.

Now when I have finally found (a lot of) time to reassemble at last, stuck at a peculiar problem.
On powering on the laptop, the screen only displays a bluish-greenish inhomogeneous thing.
As it seems, it is actually displays the correct things without any contrast. It can only be seen from a couple of centimeters.
Picture (1Mb large)

Please, anybody have an idea about this issue? :cry: I tried to reseat the lcd ribbon cable, but no change.
I have a faint suspicion of the inverter card, but without a spare one, I would like to be more certain about it before trying to buy a spare part.

Thanks in advance,

Thinkpad4by3
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

Re: Thinkpad 701CS screen problem

#2 Post by Thinkpad4by3 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:31 pm

You can use the Fn+Home and Fn+End to adjust the contrast(might be PgUp and PgDn, its the icon that is a circle, half white and half black.) The blueish green pattern on the screen is part of the old DSTN technology. They get burn-in and there is nothing you can do about it. All of those screen have it if they are used.
Probably should be Thinkpad16by10.

Looking For: 386 laptop, IBM or not.

Xundi

Re: Thinkpad 701CS screen problem

#3 Post by Xundi » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:54 pm

Thinkpad4by3 wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:31 pm
You can use the Fn+Home and Fn+End to adjust the contrast(might be PgUp and PgDn, its the icon that is a circle, half white and half black.) The blueish green pattern on the screen is part of the old DSTN technology. They get burn-in and there is nothing you can do about it. All of those screen have it if they are used.
I'm pretty sure that I have already tried this trick.
But I will definitely try it again after reassembling. :thumbs-UP:
Thanks for the tip!