Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Problem with nitrocaster's FHD mod

X200, X201, X220 (including equivalent tablet models) and X300, X301 series specific matters only.
RealBlackStuff
Admin
Admin

Problem with nitrocaster's FHD mod

#1 Post by RealBlackStuff » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:24 am

I am currently having many problems with nitrocaster's FHD-mod.
The problem is with my X230, but these problems also pertain to X220, hence my posting it here.

My original X230 (2325-B14) had these specs with 04X1401 motherboard(#1):
- i5-3320M
- 8GB RAM
- 250GB mSATA SSD in WWAN slot, with W7 Pro/SP1 64-bit
- 500GB 7200rpm HD in drive-bay for storage (goes to sleep after 3 minutes non-use)
- non-backlit LiteOn UK-English keyboard 04X1306 (for X230)
- LG LP125WF2-SPB3 FHD screen
- nitrocaster's FHD-mod rev.4
- EC-mod for the battery-check bypass

It was perfectly working as described above, incl. brightness control.
Then I wanted to get the wifi-whitelist removed from the BIOS.
Long story short: I blew it so I had to get another mobo(#2).

When I tried to solder the sense-wire to the 3rd capacitor from the right (C137), I had left my solder iron temperature too high,
and the capacitor broke (don't ask me how).
As per schematics, that C137 capacitor comes from DPD_3N (bottom)--SW--[_C137_]--(top) and goes to DOCKB_DP3N (docking connector).
When I asked nitrocaster, he said I could just solder the sense-wire (SW) to the DPD_3N (bottom)-part of the capacitor-location.
And if I didn't use the docking port, then I could also leave the C137 capacitor out altogether.

Docking connector
DOCKB_DP3N
/\
C137 capacitor
| bottom
sense-wire
|
\/
DPD_3N
Elsewhere on mobo

The above is great to know for other people, who might have sense-wire problems.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Even though I am quite adept with soldering, I could not manage to get the sense-wire sorted on mobo(#2), or the capacitor replaced.
So I bought yet another, identical mobo(#3), and left #2 for a later repair.
This time the sense-wire went on without a problem.
I had already bought another FHD-mod rev.5 from nitrocaster, because I couldn't get the old one off the dead motherboard.
Easy enough to put that new PCB on mobo#3, but now somehow the problems started.

With both SSD and HDD removed, my X230 boots fine and I can go into BIOS, using the laptops own FHD screen.
Current BIOS is 2.67, EC is 1.14 and has been updated with the battery-check bypass. Checked working.

As in the previous setup, I changed BIOS/Config/Display to 'Digital 1 on dock'.
Put in the (WWAN) SSD, boot into W7, those 4 colored windows start rotating, but right when they are finished rotating, the screen goes dark.
Backlight stays on, showing a dark purplish background, but no picture. Fn/F7 does F-all.

Strange, when I hook up an external monitor, the picture is on that external monitor, WTF?
Fn/F7 does something: goes off on external, goes off on laptop, goes on on extenal, puts backlight on on laptop, but shows NO PICTURE on laptop.
Tried all changes in BIOS/Config/Display, ditto in Control Panel/Display/Change display settings. NADA on the laptop screen.
Then I switched off and removed the (WWAN) SSD.

Put in some 2.5" SSD in the drive-bay, this one with Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon.
Boots, shows Thinkpad logo on laptop, then goes dark.
Plug in the external monitor, and the picture is there!
Same problems as in W7.

But now it gets interesting.
I put in another 2.5" HDD in the drive-bay, this time with Windows Vista 8.1 from an old T500.
Would you believe, that I finally get a picture on that laptop?
It's flickering, but at least it's a start.
Strange, if I go into Windows Mobility Center, it tells me there is No display connected!
But when I click there on "Connect display" it lets me change the Resolution, how is that possible?

My question is, where is the problem?

Any help appreciated.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)

Check out The Boardroom for Parts, Mods and Other Services.