Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

X60 board in an X60s chassis?

X60/X61 series specific matters only.
nmda

X60 board in an X60s chassis?

#1 Post by nmda » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:06 pm

So I've tried to find scenarios of people doing this -- maybe I missed some keywords in my searches, no idea... but I can only seem to find threads of people doing the reverse (X60s->X60 chassis).

I'm wondering if it's possible to safely have a (2.0GHz) T2500 X60 board in the s model, since I've read that the X60 can get pretty toasty, although usually never gets more than lukewarm when the wifi card issue is addressed... so, if I can do this, are there any special modifications I should make, such as a different fan, etc.? Would really appreciate advice and will definitely update if all goes well, thanks!!

axur-delmeria
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

Re: X60 board in an X60s chassis?

#2 Post by axur-delmeria » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:41 am

A few questions:

1. Do you already have an X60 with Core Duo T2500? If yes, why do you want to put it in an X60s chassis? Also, what are the CPU temps at idle and at full load?

2. If no, are you trying to upgrade an X60s that you already own? Why not get an X61s board instead? An L7700 should be able to keep pace with a T2500.

Transplanting an X60 T2500 board into an X60s chassis can be done, but I don't know if it can be done without the CPU overheating. The best you can do is stack the odds in your favor.

The board itself will fit fine, but you have to use a heatsink from an X60s/X61s or X60T/X61T, because the regular X60 heatsink is too tall.

As much as possible, get the middle heatsink in this picture. http://thinkwiki.de/images/2/28/X61_X60 ... nk_Fan.jpg

It's FRU 42X3804, and notice that it has a CPU contact plate made of copper making it more effective than the two X60s/61s and Tablet heatsinks on the left, which have aluminum contact plates.
Note that the two heatsinks on the right are for the X61, and will not fit in an X60s/61s chassis.

Next is to use the best thermal paste available. Currently it's Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut.

You're welcome to try liquid metal ones like Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut, but not if your heatsink is aluminum (most liquid metal pastes use Gallium which eats Aluminum for breakfast).

Third is to undervolt the CPU.

Next is to keep the ambient (room) temperature low.
Daily driver: X220 4291-C91 i7-2620M

Backup: X220 4291-P79 i5-2520M
Toy: X60F Core Solo U1300
In pieces: two retired but working X61Ts
RIP: 760XD 9546-U9E; X61 7676-A24; and a BOE-Hydis HV121P01-100 in failed SXGA+ mod
:cry:

nmda

#3 Post by nmda » Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:52 am

axur-delmeria wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:41 am
A few questions:

1. Do you already have an X60 with Core Duo T2500? If yes, why do you want to put it in an X60s chassis? Also, what are the CPU temps at idle and at full load?

2. If no, are you trying to upgrade an X60s that you already own? Why not get an X61s board instead? An L7700 should be able to keep pace with a T2500.
1. I got an X60 motherboard with a T2500 yes, but none of the other parts. I was wanting to put it in an X60s chassis simply because I was able to find a very nice model without much cosmetic wear at all (have not purchased it yet though), the regular X60 available are pretty beat, or more expensive. So unfortunately I can't test the temps, that probably answers 2. as well.
axur-delmeria wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:41 am
As much as possible, get the middle heatsink in this picture. http://thinkwiki.de/images/2/28/X61_X60 ... nk_Fan.jpg

It's FRU 42X3804, and notice that it has a CPU contact plate made of copper making it more effective than the two X60s/61s and Tablet heatsinks on the left, which have aluminum contact plates.
Note that the two heatsinks on the right are for the X61, and will not fit in an X60s/61s chassis.

Next is to use the best thermal paste available. Currently it's Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut.

You're welcome to try liquid metal ones like Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut, but not if your heatsink is aluminum (most liquid metal pastes use Gallium which eats Aluminum for breakfast).

Third is to undervolt the CPU.

Next is to keep the ambient (room) temperature low.
Thank you for a very thorough response! By the sounds of what you're saying, I don't think it's worth chancing or spending money on an X60s to find out if it stays cool enough, an X60 chassis will completely suffice for me. With that being said though, do you think it'd still be useful to get one of those heatsinks (or maybe an X61 chassis, are there advantages in this new scenario)? (assuming it's affordable). I've heard very good things about Thermal Grizzly, although I do have some Arctic MX-4 carbon based/high performance -- not sure if you're familiar or not, but do you think it would be adequate assuming I'm not going to be using the X60s anymore? After all that's taken care of, it doesn't seem like I'd need to undervolt, although testing the temps first of course will be the smart thing to do...lol.

EDIT: After looking at that image again, I'm thinking you might tell me that 42X3805 is probably the sublime heatsink option if I use an X61 chassis, being that it seems to generally have bigger all-copper contact plates

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#4 Post by RealBlackStuff » Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:04 am

+1 for Kryonaut.
That MX-4 dries up rather quickly, NOT recommended.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)

Check out The Boardroom for Parts, Mods and Other Services.

axur-delmeria
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#5 Post by axur-delmeria » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:58 am

nmda wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:52 am
Thank you for a very thorough response! By the sounds of what you're saying, I don't think it's worth chancing or spending money on an X60s to find out if it stays cool enough, an X60 chassis will completely suffice for me. With that being said though, do you think it'd still be useful to get one of those heatsinks (or maybe an X61 chassis, are there advantages in this new scenario)? (assuming it's affordable). I've heard very good things about Thermal Grizzly, although I do have some Arctic MX-4 carbon based/high performance -- not sure if you're familiar or not, but do you think it would be adequate assuming I'm not going to be using the X60s anymore? After all that's taken care of, it doesn't seem like I'd need to undervolt, although testing the temps first of course will be the smart thing to do...lol.
If you can get an X61 chassis and heatsink, do so. The X61 heatsink in particular is much better than the X60 one. The X61 chassis has a few more vent holes, like in the right palmrest.

Still, I'm not completely closing the door on the X60s chassis-- if you had one with a Core 2 Duo CPU I'd definitely say no, but from my experience the older Core Duo CPU seems to run a bit cooler. As long as you get the X60s (or preferably X61s) chassis for dirt cheap, tinkering is quite fun, especially when it pays off.

RIP: 760XD 9546-U9E; X61 7676-A24; and a BOE-Hydis HV121P01-100 in failed SXGA+ mod

Arc

#6 Post by Arc » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:40 pm

I'm curious about all of this too, so thanks for making the thread. Considering what is mentioned in the second post, and from talking to other people, it's probably entirely up to the heatsink.

Seen in this picture and in the one posted earlier, a normal X60 heatsink has a more fins at the exhaust, which is shaved off to keep the X60s slightly thinner. I want to say that using a common X60s aluminum heatsink on an X60 board would work and get you a system that doesn't immediately overheat, but in general it probably would be a little more toasty. That 42X3804 heatsink with the square bit of copper for contact doesn't seem to be on eBay, they all look to be the aluminum ones. Wouldn't be too much of a risk to try if you already had an X60s chassis, considering the ease of removing the heatsink and motherboard, but I guess you don't.

That copper X60s heatsink has been on my list of things to snag if I could but I have never seen one for sale anywhere.
Lenovo "Classics" [ X41t | X60s | X60t SXGA+ | T60 | W500 | X301 | X200s WXGA+ | X201t ]
ThiccPads [ 600 | A21m | X22 | R52 ]
[ Lifebook U810 | P1620 | P1630 | T902 ] [ iBook G3 Snow ]
RIP [ A20m | T61 | Lifebook P1610 | Clevo W110ER ]

ThinkPads are nice yeah 👌

nmda

#7 Post by nmda » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:50 am

axur-delmeria wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:58 am
If you can get an X61 chassis and heatsink, do so. The X61 heatsink in particular is much better than the X60 one. The X61 chassis has a few more vent holes, like in the right palmrest.

Still, I'm not completely closing the door on the X60s chassis-- if you had one with a Core 2 Duo CPU I'd definitely say no, but from my experience the older Core Duo CPU seems to run a bit cooler. As long as you get the X60s (or preferably X61s) chassis for dirt cheap, tinkering is quite fun, especially when it pays off.
So I opted for the x61s as a chassis, and at first I wasn't overly enthused with the cosmetic condition being slightly worse than advertised -- however -- luckily, and much to my surprise, it contains a 42X3804 FRU heatsink! Neat! I'm currently working on the transplant and will be back to edit this reply to document any issues, or more optimistically, my success. :)
Arc wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:40 pm
That 42X3804 heatsink with the square bit of copper for contact doesn't seem to be on eBay, they all look to be the aluminum ones. Wouldn't be too much of a risk to try if you already had an X60s chassis, considering the ease of removing the heatsink and motherboard, but I guess you don't.

That copper X60s heatsink has been on my list of things to snag if I could but I have never seen one for sale anywhere.
Luck would have it that I obtained one randomly in a fully assembled X61s. Depending on how valuable it would be to you, it may be worth it to purchase a full system? Either way, I hope you end up finding one! I'll update my post after I make the modifications =)

nmda

#8 Post by nmda » Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:05 pm

Okay here's an update after finishing everything; I managed to successfully drop the motherboard into the chassis without much issue, except the 4-pin connector on the x61s fansink... wasn't something I really knew how to deal with conveniently -- I simply decided to trim the extra connector off (since there are only 3 active lines, anyway) in order to make it fit on the X60's header (I used a hobby knife to cut the bulk, then filed the rest down for a snug fit) -- and voila, it worked! Did a few other things such as maxing the ram, and I added a spare aetheros wifi card I had laying around. After librebooting it, I figured I had put in enough hours to take a break on optimizing this for now -- but it does run pretty cool already! So definitely a success for me! I may take some temps measurements sometime when I'm happy with a 'final' product build, but I have some other projects on the go that I am tackling first. :)

Here's a link to a few photos: https://imgur.com/a/vVDKSwT (showing the technique for 'converting' 4-pin connector to 3-pin... as well as the finished product, in an ultrabase + adjustable thinkpad stand -- you know, only for the swag points... hahaha).

axur-delmeria
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#9 Post by axur-delmeria » Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:25 pm

Nice! :D

Keep us posted on the CPU temps when you get to it.