Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

NEC PowerMate MT 6101a - What is it?

Talk about "WhatEVER !"..
springbox44

NEC PowerMate MT 6101a - What is it?

#1 Post by springbox44 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:39 pm

Hi all,

So recently I've acquired and set up one of these Powermates as above. One small issue - the computer runs Windows 7, and I would like to install XP on there (or at least dual boot). Sadly, scouring the internet, I've been unable to find any information about it, let alone any type of recovery media or drivers. If anyone here has any info about it, I'd love to know! I assume it's from 2005 or so, since it has a P4 HT with the current Intel logo on it. It also originally ran XP MCE 2005. Thanks in advance.

Screamer
Sophomore Member

Re: NEC PowerMate MT 6101a - What is it?

#2 Post by Screamer » Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:50 pm

Unfortunately, it seems that the only tidbit of info that I found on this model, is that it is an entry-level desktop machine. There is not much else I can find about this, either.

Are you comfortable with giving out the PCI IDs on your 6101a? It should be possible to manually identify the devices with that, and that would additionally give me the leads to the device drivers that you need. By the way, If you don't know how or where to get that information from, follow these steps:

Click on the start button orb, then right-click on Computer. There should be a 'Properties' option showing up, so click that. Once that is done, a small window that is labeled 'System Properties' should show up. From there onwards, click the 'Hardware' tab, which should show the 'Device Manager' button below. Click on that 'Device Manager' button, and a window that is labeled 'Device Manager' should show up.

Double-click on any of the device groups that you feel is important, then right click on the specific device and click 'Properties'. Then, click the 'Details' tab. There should be a selection bar below the 'Property' text, and the selection bar should be showing 'Hardware Ids'. If it is not, click the selection bar and select 'Hardware Ids'.

There, the PCI ID that you want to look at is the top-most text in that text box below 'Hardware Ids'. If possible, could you give me the PCI IDs that you feel, are important? One last thing though, do you wish to run XP x86 or XP x64?

GrifterGuru
Freshman Member

Re: NEC PowerMate MT 6101a - What is it?

#3 Post by GrifterGuru » Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:00 pm

Simply get the hardware ID's as described above and highlight them with the mouse, right click, select copy, go to google, paste the ID into the search bar and hit enter.

The list of results will show the device type and hopefully a link to drivers from the manufacturer of the device.

NEVER give out hardware ID's unless you have to. Best to search for the drivers yourself, using the hardware ID.
X31 2672-58G, M73 10AXS, M73 10AXS i7, L412 4403-72G i5,T420 4236-9N8 i7-2630QM, T430 2349-TDG, X201 3680-C85, X220 42902
Install Mojave on X220 & T420

Return to “Off-Topic Stuff”