Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

T510. Power Button Inoperable? Work-around?

T400/410/420 and T500/510/520 series specific matters only
endlessninja

T510. Power Button Inoperable? Work-around?

#1 Post by endlessninja » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:38 pm

Hey all.

Found a T150 (Type 4384-DJ3 S/N R9-B5X4P 11/01, Product ID 4384DJ3) that wouldn't turn on at all. I did some research, figured it was the CMOS battery, bought a new one, put it in, and it turned on. I noticed that it turned on without me turning on the power button, though. It happened while I was reinstalling the ribbon cable for the plastic housing that contains the touchpad. Whatever. I reformatted and installed windows, turned it off for the day.

Next day, won't turn on. Forgot about it turning on by itself, broke it down again, replugged the CMOS, keyboard ribbon, and plastic housing ribbon, no response from power button. Played with that plastic ribbon cable a bit while plugged in and it turned on by itself again. Felt like hot wiring a car.

It's nice I have this workaround to turn it on, but I'd really like a more conventional way of doing it, short of buying a new keyboard.

I figured out that you can set an option in BIOS, so it starts with AC power. I've used that. It's working for now. Not an ideal state though.

Still though, I'd like the power button to work. Anyone been in a similar situation and found a work-around or a repair that doesn't involve just buying a new keyboard? When on, the entire keyboard works ok, with exception of the power button. It's frustrating because the light for the power button is on ... it just doesn't work.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.