Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Problem with wifi-connection on t61 running Linux Mint 19 Xfce. Random dropouts and need to reboot

T60/T61 series specific matters only
Lindisfarne

Problem with wifi-connection on t61 running Linux Mint 19 Xfce. Random dropouts and need to reboot

#1 Post by Lindisfarne » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:53 pm

Hi

As stated in the subject line, I am experiencing problems with the wifi-connection on one of my T61's, running Linux Mint 19 Xfce
After working on it for a while, the wifi suddenly drops dead, and can't be turned back on, unless I reboot the whole thing. Emailing is a pain.

Is there a way to fix such an issue? Maybe in the software? - via Middleton's BIOS or by downloading some special linux-y driver for it?
Or do I need to get an all new wifi-card? And what should I be aware of in terms of types if I do so?

I have the specs of the machine here - if that helps in any way to find the right wifi-card:
64 bit system.
Cpu: t8300
BIOS version 2.25
Embedded controller version 1.08
Type: 6457-E2G

I have been looking through the forum, and seen similar posts about wifi-dropouts in x6x's, so I'm afraid it might be a hardware-issue. But didn't want to hijack any old threads with this linux-related problem, in case it was indeed the software.

Thank you in advance!

Collector73

Re: Problem with wifi-connection on t61 running Linux Mint 19 Xfce. Random dropouts and need to reboot

#2 Post by Collector73 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:30 am

I have a T61 with Mint (Lara) and an Intel 4965AG with similar issues (in my case, it got an IP address after a while but I could not ping anything).

It might be an issue with the latest Linux drivers, as it works well under Windows (8.1).
BTW... that is an underrated OS!

- Faster than W7
- Longer support than W7 (until 2023)
- Much faster than W10 (checked it, booting on my T61 22 s instead of 30s Windows 10)
- A lot less services and MS Spyware than W10 (even opt-in for some of those services whereas W10 enables them by default)
- Better driver support than W10 (and in some cases even better than W7)

Must I go on?

"But what about this impossible Metro/modern start menu?"
Yes! Install Classic Shell alright.
(Even the Eight bit guy is so mistaken about W8.1... it's pathetic.)