Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

R50e Upgrades

R, A, G and Z series specific matters only. NOT for AMD-Ryzen.
Vivecus

R50e Upgrades

#1 Post by Vivecus » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:55 am

Hi there,

Fairly new to this forum and just about to receive my first ThinkPad (an R50e) and was just wondering what the maximum upgrades are for this machine (Max ram, best cpu, etc.) as I've bought a fairly under-powered one for the moment. I also intend to install Linux (Ubuntu MATE) on it.

Screamer

Re: R50e Upgrades

#2 Post by Screamer » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:22 am

The maximum amount of RAM that you can install is 2GB (two 1GB RAM modules), and it doesn't matter if it is DDR266, or DDR333, or DDR400. They will all work, provided that the RAM module is from a well-known brand or from a reliable manufacturer. Some examples include: Crucial, Samsung, SK-Hynix, Micron, Qimonda, Elpida, Infineon, Mosel Vitelic, etc.

If money is not a problem, the Pentium M 765 (SL7V3) should be the best processor available for your R50e. Keep in mind that it runs somewhat hot, which might mean that your R50e's fan would be always active.

Assuming that your R50e has a MiniPCI slot (some models did not have them), you should be able to install an Atheros AR9220-based wireless adapter. The Atheros AR9220 is the best MiniPCI wireless adapter that I have found so far, since it supports the a, b, g, and n band.

I am not exactly sure about this, but I believe that an R50e should be capable of detecting a Bluetooth controller in its CDC slot (modem daughter card slot). If I am not wrong, this means that you should be able to swap the standard modem card for a BMDC200 card. It might be near useless though, since the BMDC200's Bluetooth controller was only compliant to the Bluetooth 1.1 standard.

If you are interested in getting a faster hard drive for your R50e, you could get a Samsung Spinpoint M5 HM160HC/HM320HC, or a Western Digital Scorpio Blue WD3200BEVE. These are some of the fastest IDE/PATA hard drives that I am aware of, but they might be costly. IDE/PATA solid state drives are much worse in that sense, at least in when it comes to cost-per-GB.

Vivecus

#3 Post by Vivecus » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:55 pm

Screamer wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:22 am
The maximum amount of RAM that you can install is 2GB (two 1GB RAM modules), and it doesn't matter if it is DDR266, or DDR333, or DDR400. They will all work, provided that the RAM module is from a well-known brand or from a reliable manufacturer. Some examples include: Crucial, Samsung, SK-Hynix, Micron, Qimonda, Elpida, Infineon, Mosel Vitelic, etc.

If money is not a problem, the Pentium M 765 (SL7V3) should be the best processor available for your R50e. Keep in mind that it runs somewhat hot, which might mean that your R50e's fan would be always active.

Assuming that your R50e has a MiniPCI slot (some models did not have them), you should be able to install an Atheros AR9220-based wireless adapter. The Atheros AR9220 is the best MiniPCI wireless adapter that I have found so far, since it supports the a, b, g, and n band.

I am not exactly sure about this, but I believe that an R50e should be capable of detecting a Bluetooth controller in its CDC slot (modem daughter card slot). If I am not wrong, this means that you should be able to swap the standard modem card for a BMDC200 card. It might be near useless though, since the BMDC200's Bluetooth controller was only compliant to the Bluetooth 1.1 standard.

If you are interested in getting a faster hard drive for your R50e, you could get a Samsung Spinpoint M5 HM160HC/HM320HC, or a Western Digital Scorpio Blue WD3200BEVE. These are some of the fastest IDE/PATA hard drives that I am aware of, but they might be costly. IDE/PATA solid state drives are much worse in that sense, at least in when it comes to cost-per-GB.
Thank you so much! Brilliant info my man. Much appreciated!

Vivecus

#4 Post by Vivecus » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:37 pm

Are you also sure that these parts (especially the wireless adapter) would be compatible on a Linux system?

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

#5 Post by ajkula66 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:57 am

Vivecus wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:37 pm
Are you also sure that these parts (especially the wireless adapter) would be compatible on a Linux system?
Yes. Linux distros prefer Atheros-chipped cards to Intel ones, generally speaking.
...Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules...(King Crimson)

Cheers,

George (your grouchy retired FlexView farmer)

FlexView AARP club members:A31p, T43pSF, X60T

Abused daily: X200s

PMs requesting personal tech support will be ignored.