Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

How should I go about replacing a broken inverter?

Older ThinkPads.. from the 600, the 7xx, the iSeries, 300, 500, the Transnote and, of course, the 701
sly

How should I go about replacing a broken inverter?

#1 Post by sly » Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:36 pm

Hi!

I'm new to the site, and I am not sure where to post this question.

I have recently got hold of a nice i-series 2611-552 Thinkpad. It works fine, except that the display doesn't have backlight. I've disassembled the screen and figured out that it was the inverter's fault. I did take it to a repair shop, and they told me it was indeed the inverter's fault. However, I can't find a replacement anywhere at all. I have been looking for 2 weeks now, and the only listings I found were scant and abroad, with the delivery fees that were way out of my league.

How should I go about this? I'd love to have it repaired, but the repair technician said he can't troubleshoot it because he doesn't have the schematics for the inverter. I couldn't find any of those online either. I found that this same inverter was present in some Acer Travelmate model seemingly, but I couldn't find anything searching for it either.

I found some "universal" inverters that have 4 soldering pads, though my inverter connects to an 8 pin ribbon cable. I also found that the ribbon cable slot on the motherboard seems to look like the cable from my Dell, but that cable is too short. Should I just try to replace the whole thing? The screen, the inverter and the ribbon cable? Or is there nothing I can do?

Thank you in advance!

onespeedbiker
Freshman Member

Re: How should I go about replacing a broken inverter?

#2 Post by onespeedbiker » Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:46 pm

Try here. https://www.impactcomputers.com/ be advised if they don't have it in stock, they likely will not be able to get it in 3 to 5 days.

Edit: I checked and Impact does not list a i1552, but they do list a i1560. Since both models come with a 14.1" TFT display with 1024x768 resolution, I would think this inverter would be compatible. https://www.impactcomputers.com/10l1442.html

sly

#3 Post by sly » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:15 am

Thank you for the suggestion! I'll keep an eye out for my model (T62.126.C.00). The other one you suggested has a different kind of connector it seems, so unless I replace the ribbon cable as well I doubt it will fit.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#4 Post by RealBlackStuff » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:51 am

You are looking for this inverter with IBM FRU: 10L1383, a.k.a. T62.126.C.00
Get the i1400 HMM manual here: https://thinkpads.com/support/hmm/hmm_pdf/37l5192.pdf
Lovely day for a Guinness! (the Real Black Stuff). And pigs CAN fly!
Check out The Boardroom for Parts, Mods and Other Services.

sly

#5 Post by sly » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:26 am

Thank you very much! I'll look around for it again with that number.

sly

#6 Post by sly » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:27 am

I found an inverter for sale on a website with free worldwide shipping. I've ordered it and it should be here in a month or so. Thanks again for the help!