Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

T440P weird power issues?

T430 and later, plus T530 and later series specific matters only
Shark00n

T440P weird power issues?

#1 Post by Shark00n » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:09 pm

Hi everyone!

I got a refurbished T440P a while ago with a 4300M and no battery.

I proceeded to fix it up with a 4810MQ, 8GB DDR3, IPS screen, T450 Synaptics TP, M.2 SSD, 2.5" SSD, 135W Lenovo charger and I got a used Lenovo 57++ battery.

I've been having this weird issue where the machine won't power on after being moved around.
It works flawlessly but when I power it down (on battery or on AC+Battery) and, for example, carry it in my backpack on the way to work, it will not power on upon arrival. Even if I connect it to AC I get absolutely no response from the unit.
It requires me to take out the battery, press the power button for a few seconds, put the battery back in and then it will power on normally.
Even if it's just connected to AC, with the battery out, and I put it to sleep, just picking it up will cause it to turn off.

I've been researching a fair amount around here and other forums as I see there are many people with a similar issue to mine, specially with T440S units. But I don't have quite the same symptoms and the T440P doesn't have an internal battery so every solution I tried still didn't work.
I have everything updated and running very good. Touchpad is working fine with a driver I found in this awesome forum. Latest BIOS, tamper and security devices are switched Off in the BIOS, etc...

When the laptop is up and running, on battery, AC and battery+AC, I can pick it up and shake it around and it doesn't skip a beat. But if I close the lid and let it go into sleep mode, just picking it up the standby light is already off and it won't boot, making me lose all my work. I effectively can't carry the unit around without fully powering down, taking out the battery, putting it back in when I arrive and booting it up.

I've pretty much ruled everything out outside of some weird software gremlin I'm not aware of. Also put a new CMOS battery in
Or it's the battery's fault (It looks like an original Lenovo unit. It's a little bit scratched and has been used but HWInfo reports close to 88% battery life remaining and it lasts easily for 6 hours on my T440P. But it makes no sense because the machine has the same issue when just connected to AC, without battery. Picking it up while in sleep mode will make it power off instantly.

Any help is very much appreciated! I'm pulling my hairs here. It seems to be very much related to movement as it only happens when the laptop is picked up or shaken while in sleep mode or turned off. If it's on and running Windows I can pick it up and shake it all I want and it works perfectly, doesn't skip a beat.
Thank you

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: T440P weird power issues?

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:28 am

Lenovo has HDD Active Protection software, see this: https://support.lenovo.com/ie/en/solutions/ht036853
If you have an SSD, disable/uninstall it: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-P ... -p/3590057
If you have a HDD, replace it with an SSD.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (the Real Black Stuff). And pigs CAN fly!
Check out The Boardroom for Parts, Mods and Other Services.