Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

T60 battery source?

T60/T61 series specific matters only
pigroasts

T60 battery source?

#1 Post by pigroasts » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:23 am

Hi guy,

Just joined the forum, and just joined the thinkpad community! A few months ago I got myself a t430. But just last week a deal bamy by on a t601, and I couldn't pass it up,

Anyway, I'm now in the market for a 9Cell battery and 8gbs of ram. Anyone have any good sources for these parts? Or am I SOL?

BillMorrow
*Senior* Admin
*Senior* Admin

Re: T60 battery source?

#2 Post by BillMorrow » Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:12 am

hello and welcome to the forum, brooklyn.. :)

i have several T60 series tinkpads but have not tried for a battery for years..
same for the memory BUT i'm sure you can find what you want in the marketplace, here OR ebay or, dare i say it, amazon.. you can submit a want to buy post in the marketplace..
Bill Morrow, kept by parrots :parrot: & cockatoos
Sysop - forum.thinkpads.com

She was not what you would call refined,
She was not what you would call unrefined,
She was the type of person who kept a parrot.
~~~Mark Twain~~~

zoltan87
Sophomore Member

#3 Post by zoltan87 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:48 pm

pigroasts wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:23 am
Hi guy,

Just joined the forum, and just joined the thinkpad community! A few months ago I got myself a t430. But just last week a deal bamy by on a t601, and I couldn't pass it up,

Anyway, I'm now in the market for a 9Cell battery and 8gbs of ram. Anyone have any good sources for these parts? Or am I SOL?
I would say the same, try the Marketplace here first, then eBay. I got lucky on eBay a couple of years ago with two genuine 9 cell batteries. One of them was almost full capacity, the other was somewhat less (maybe like 85% of original capacity, even though that was supposed to be brand new too). I honestly don't know if they were lightly used batteries, and just had been re-programmed somehow, so they didn't show previous usage stats, or indeed were new old stock batteries, but the run times were great, so I was happy. Especially after trying out several third party batteries beforehand with less than stellar results.

One advice: don't fell for those knock off batteries that advertise A++ quality cells, and cost like £15 for a 9 cell battery. Their capacity is absolutely abysmal, I had tried several in the past. Or at least be aware that you will get what you pay for, don't even pay attention to the advertised capacities in those listings, they are not even close to what you will be getting. Also the Ultrabay batteries I had come across through eBay had significant capacity losses, even the supposedly new ones.

The sad truth is that finding batteries in good shape is getting really difficult for these old machines.
Thinkpad T60, 15" Flexview, with mods (Xiphmont's LED mod, T500 heatsink, cpu undervolt, reinforced frame)
Thinkpad T601, 15" Flexview, with mods (Xiphmont's LED mod, T500 heatsink, cpu pin mod for FSB change and undervolt, reinforced frame)
Thinkpad X32
Thinkpad A21e
NEC ProSpeed SX/20

atagunov
Freshman Member

#4 Post by atagunov » Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:52 pm

How's your experience guys with GreenCell batteries?
I quite like KingSener but they don't make any for T60..

Hat tip to @pigroasts, we certainly spoke before! ;-)
X220, 2 *T520

zoltan87
Sophomore Member

#5 Post by zoltan87 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:27 pm

atagunov wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:52 pm

I quite like KingSener but they don't make any for T60.. Hat tip to @pigroasts, we certainly spoke before! ;-)
I have to admit I have never tried any of the branded third party batteries, I always went for the cheap no-name ones. Maybe that's the cause of my bad experiences with them? I remember seeing those GreenCell batteries on eBay, but they cost quite a bit more than the cheap ones, and I thought at that price point I will rather pay just a little more, and buy a genuine Lenovo one. So I am also interested if someone has experience with these "middle of the road/ price" battery manufacturers like GreenCell.
Thinkpad T60, 15" Flexview, with mods (Xiphmont's LED mod, T500 heatsink, cpu undervolt, reinforced frame)
Thinkpad T601, 15" Flexview, with mods (Xiphmont's LED mod, T500 heatsink, cpu pin mod for FSB change and undervolt, reinforced frame)
Thinkpad X32
Thinkpad A21e
NEC ProSpeed SX/20

pigroasts

#6 Post by pigroasts » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:20 pm

BillMorrow wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:12 am
hello and welcome to the forum, brooklyn.. :)

i have several T60 series tinkpads but have not tried for a battery for years..
same for the memory BUT i'm sure you can find what you want in the marketplace, here OR ebay or, dare i say it, amazon.. you can submit a want to buy post in the marketplace..
Thanks! Glad to be here.

And I just submitted a post on the marketplace, appreciate the welcome and help!

pigroasts

#7 Post by pigroasts » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:37 pm

zoltan87 wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:48 pm
pigroasts wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:23 am
Hi guy,

I would say the same, try the Marketplace here first, then eBay. I got lucky on eBay a couple of years ago with two genuine 9 cell batteries. One of them was almost full capacity, the other was somewhat less (maybe like 85% of original capacity, even though that was supposed to be brand new too). I honestly don't know if they were lightly used batteries, and just had been re-programmed somehow, so they didn't show previous usage stats, or indeed were new old stock batteries, but the run times were great, so I was happy. Especially after trying out several third party batteries beforehand with less than stellar results.

One advice: don't fell for those knock off batteries that advertise A++ quality cells, and cost like £15 for a 9 cell battery. Their capacity is absolutely abysmal, I had tried several in the past. Or at least be aware that you will get what you pay for, don't even pay attention to the advertised capacities in those listings, they are not even close to what you will be getting. Also the Ultrabay batteries I had come across through eBay had significant capacity losses, even the supposedly new ones.

The sad truth is that finding batteries in good shape is getting really difficult for these old machines.
I'll keep my eye out on ebay, but not holding out much hope. I was thinking about the ultrabay batteries, but I dunno, they seem pricey for the capacity.

pigroasts

#8 Post by pigroasts » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:38 pm

atagunov wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:52 pm
I quite like KingSener but they don't make any for T60..

Hat tip to @pigroasts, we certainly spoke before! ;-)
Haha, glad I took your advice!

cadillacmike68
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#9 Post by cadillacmike68 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:51 pm

DON'T bother with an ultrabay battery.
760LD FUBARd
T21 2647 T22 2647 4@ 900MHz, 1@ 1GHz SXGA+; T23 2647 2@ 1.13GHz, 1@ 1.2GHz SXGA+
T30 2366-88U 2GHz; 2366-83U 1.8G; 5@ 2366-LU0/66U; 2367-KU6 FUBARd
T41 T42 T43
T61 8897 2.4GHz SXGA+; 8898 2.4Ghz; 6463 2@ WSXGA+; 7658 2.5GHz; T61p; 6 more T61s
T500 2
T530 W530

pigroasts

#10 Post by pigroasts » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:34 pm

cadillacmike68 wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:51 pm
DON'T bother with an ultrabay battery.
lol, consider that idea put to bed.