Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

X61 replacement battery woes

X60/X61 series specific matters only.
GezzaF7

X61 replacement battery woes

#1 Post by GezzaF7 » Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:02 am

Hi, I'm in the UK and I have a trusty X61 that I have had for a few years and has been upgraded over this time
(Middleton bios, 4Gb mem, SSD, Mini WiFi card, Win 10 - BTW, runs way cooler on this!).

Anyway, the battery is the thing that bugs me the most. It is an aftermarket 6 cell that now only holds 33% of
what it should. I've been looking for a 4 cell 2600MAH battery for a while now and was very pleased to see
some new/old stock Lenovo's 40Y7001's on UK ebay for £30 each! So I snapped one up.

Sadly, although both sealed and genuine, the battery I got was DOA. When installed in my X61 it just sat at '0' % charging,
with a blinking orange battery icon for 6 hours (tried different genuine lenovo chargers too). It had been manufactured in
June 2013, so perhaps it had just self discharged to below it's recovery threshold in storage.

So my quest for a good 2600 MAH 4 cell continues. I am doubtful whether I will find a genuine Lenovo 2600 MAH 4 cell 40Y7001
that wasn't either dead from storage or at the end of it's service life, so Aliexpress beckons...

I would love to be able to get a 'Kingsener' 4 cell battery for my X61, but they do not list one on on their site.
I have contacted them to enquire if an X61 battery is possible, awaiting reply, but not hopeful.

In the meantime, I have found two possible alternatives, that both claim to use Korean or Japanese cells,
and proport to be 2600 MAH:

'Emerging' sounds good, but I don't like the 'had to hammer it in' review comment:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3284221 ... 5011ZZb7gC

'HZHSD' seems to be the better gamble, it proports to be the same as a genuine Lenovo:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3284310 ... QRHdM&mp=1

Has anyone had any experience of these? what was the capacity and life like if so?

Also, have any X61 owner got any other good tips as to where to get a reputable 2600 MAH 4 cell X60/61 battery?
I'm in the UK, so any US supplier would be a non starter as the shipping costs would kill it. Are there any other reputable
Chinese manufacturers on Aliexpress that I should look at? if anyone can advise me where I could get a good,
solid, genuine 2600 MAH capacity X61 4 cell battery I would be very grateful.

Are there enough X61 owners out there interested in a 4 Cell 2600 MAh (or maybe more, with the improved
battery tech these days!) to discus some kind of group buy with Kingsener? I'd be in for one of those for sure!

Thanks, Gerry

GezzaF7

Re: X61 replacement battery woes

#2 Post by GezzaF7 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:26 pm

*** UPDATE ***
Bought the "Emerging" one in the end, showing up as 31000 mah and power manager says it contains "Sanyo Cells".
Fitted well in my X61, no need to hammer it in :-) Doing a few charge/discharge tests at the moment,
but looks good for around 90 mins so far. Well pleased for a four cell at a reasonable ($23) price. Delivery was around 4 weeks.