Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

WTB: IBM PC110

Use this Forum for the ThinkPad hardware you have for sale or want to buy.
Sorry, no commercial sellers allowed here without asking Bill
Arantius75

WTB: IBM PC110

#1 Post by Arantius75 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:48 pm

Dear all,

I am an avid collector of small computers and am a proud owner of an HP Omnibook 800CT as well as a Toshiba Libretto 70CT, and I am looking to add to my collection with the IBM PC110. If no one here can help with this endeavor, I would appreciate someone pointing me in the right direction because I must add it to my collection.

In terms of what I would like, I really want more than anything the computer to come with it's dock, anything outside of the dock, such as the floppy drive, memory upgrades would just be gravy on top. Of course, I would prefer a working screen model; however, I am willing to consider one with a broken screen but functioning system as well. Thanks!

Screamer

Re: WTB: IBM PC110

#2 Post by Screamer » Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:01 am

I would suggest you to have a look at Yahoo Auctions, since most PC 110 models would generally end up on that website for sale.

You would need a parcel forwarder (if you do not speak Japanese), though. Here is an example that is up for bidding.

Arantius75

#3 Post by Arantius75 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:54 am

I appreciate the response and will definitely look into that. However, I see it does not include a dock with it. Is it possible to locate one elsewhere? Because I believe the dock is essential to be able to do so many things with this computer. Thanks.

Screamer

#4 Post by Screamer » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:19 am

I am afraid not. It is not common, and it is generally paired with the PC 110 for most listings. Finding the dock/port replicator itself is difficult, at least that is what I have noticed in Yahoo Auctions.

You could try searching for its FRU code, which is 39H4515 or 39H4514, but so far I am unable to find one that is up for sale.

By the way, the FRU for the AC adapter is 39H4523. I believe that the listing does not include an AC adapter, so this is the most that I can do for you. I wish you luck in your search.

Arantius75

#5 Post by Arantius75 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:37 pm

Thank you so much for providing the FRU codes for those parts, it will make it easier to help search if I do indeed try to risk the piecemeal route. Otherwise, I will continue to stay vigilant and hopefully find a more complete set. Thanks again for your help!

yyzkevin

#6 Post by yyzkevin » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:03 am

FYI if you are not aware, there is an individual in Japan that has been working on TFT conversion to address the failed screens. I recently started working with him on it as well. It is very unlikely to find a working screen model, and even if working, the price will be high and it will eventually fail as well due to the chemical reaction that takes place (at varying speed based on environment it seems).

Arantius75

#7 Post by Arantius75 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:41 am

I appreciate the response. I have heard about the faulty DSTN screens these models have. TFT screens look way better anyways. Is it possible you could point me in his direction? If you can't I understand; however, on the chance I come across a unit I would love to get in touch with him as long as that is alright with him and you. Thank you for the information.

yyzkevin

#8 Post by yyzkevin » Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:28 pm

I am not sure if I can post URLs here, but if you search ibm pc110 tft on google you should come across his site at least, or search ibm pc110 tft on youtube i put a few videos of initial efforts, and the gentleman in Japan also has a video of his initial version with a 800x480. Current efforts are for a different more appropriate 640x480 panel

my hope is to actually get it to a stage where I can have a kit that you can use to replace your screen. it is not a for-profit effort, all the information is being made public as we work on it but I have been working on the required pcbs and brackets to make the swap as easy as possible so everybody with interest in these can get them going. it is such a fun little machine.

Arantius75

#9 Post by Arantius75 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:22 pm

Thanks for providing the information, I found it and subscribed! I can wholeheartedly support the movement for an open-source kit to save these amazing machines. Its a shame for all the power the PC110's have that the Citizen lcds they originally used are of an inferior quality. I will greatly watch the project in earnest and hope soon that I can get a machine of my own and be able to restore it with a TFT! Thanks again.