Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Hitachi 7k60 in a T43, and hello

T40/T41/T42/T43 Series
javamon

Hitachi 7k60 in a T43, and hello

#1 Post by javamon » Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:30 am

Hi all...I'll cut to the chase. Just picked up a T43 2687-D3U. I had a Hitachi 7k60 from the previous laptop and decided after a few days use that I'd migrate it to the tpad. Popped in and got the (in)famous error message 2010. Searched the forum and interweb, found that I should update the firmware for the drive. Ran firmware utility, but it shows that it's the latest and needs no update (A68A). Still get error message.

Bios that shipped with the T43 was 1.08...and I'd rather not move back releases. Any other options here? The drive was manufactured 08/04.

Thanks for your help!
T43, 2687-D3U...

FTC

#2 Post by FTC » Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:46 am

Hi, some weeks ago I looked into this. It seems that it may be quite easy to convince the flash utility to flash OEM 7K60s with IBM newer firmware's. There are two text files that you can edit in the firmware update diskette specifying your existing firmare level...

However, I finally did not attempt the flash, since in my case having an old firmware did not cause problems (that TP is a T40 that does not exhibit the 2010 error...)... If you finally take the risk, please post the results here for the rest of us :-).
760CD -> 770X -> 600E -> T23 -> T40 -> T42 -> T400 -> T430
Thinkpad T430 i5 3320M 320GB HD, 8GB Mem

JHaislet

#3 Post by JHaislet » Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:50 am

This is the first I've heard of flashing an off the shelf Hitachi drive with IBM's firmware. I too would be interested to see if someone can pull this off!
Vista Business on T43 w/ Dell 2405FPW @ 1920 x 1200
Thinkpad T43 (2687-DSU) | PM 2.0GHz @ 1.068v | 100GB Hitachi 7K100 | 2.0GB Dual-Channel | X300 64MB | 14.1" SXGA | DVD+RW | Intel 2915 ABG | ThinkDock II & Mini-Dock |

javamon

#4 Post by javamon » Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:46 am

I assume we're talking about the two .tbl files in plaintext. I'll start to work on this...any help anyone has would be appreciated, though.
T43, 2687-D3U...

javamon

#5 Post by javamon » Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:11 am

Well then, success, I think. Credit to Henrik on notebookforums.com.

How I did it (long post, YMMV):

reference: http://www.notebookforums.com/showthrea ... post753388

I started with Henrik's idea. That is, I made the disk, then edited the .tbl file that the .pro file pointed to for the 7k60 drive (filenames are different than his guide...actually looking for HRHA6GA.tbl). His idea was to essentially duplicate the checksums, one for IBM, and one for the OEM off the shelf models. At that point, you'd change an argument (OA6GA vs. IA6GA, where O and I are self-explanatory) in the launching the flash utility (don't even bother with the program that automatically launches, exit to the prompt). However, this didn't work for me. It looked like it was flashing, but in reality, it wasn't. I found out if I eliminated the /U switch, I got the actual flash program interface. I was getting a checksum error. I reburned the cd from the floppy, and recieved it yet again. However, the app is nice enough to tell you what the actual and expected checksums were. The actual was matching up to the 2nd line in both IBM and OEM checksum sections, but the expected was literally naught. So, I thought I'd try and eliminate the OEM section, basically, reverting to the original file, simply using the different switch. Still, no dice. I then edited the .tbl file to have only 1 line in the checksum section (essentially, deleting all but the 2nd line). Fired up the flash command again, and it got past the "downloading microcode" but failed upon seeing the result as "MH4OA6GA" instead of "MH4IA6GA". However, that was the result: the code was updated to A6GA, the latest from IBM. No error 2010 on reboot.

As far as I can tell, however, the flash utility will not launch with the argument IA6GA. As such, I'm not certain how you could get the resulting firmware name to reflect that argument. However, I no longer recieve the error, and everything appears to be functioning normally; I just have a "different" firmware version. The T43 bios must only check the last 4 hex.

So, at the risk of having someone mess up their shiny off-the-shelf 7k60 drive (exact model:HTS726060M9AT00), here are the steps I took:

1. download disk 13 from http://www-306.ibm.com/pc/support/site. ... yout=print
2. make the disk
3. edit the file MRH6GA.tbl file to look like this:

Code: Select all

#Checksum Table
737BCE02
4. if necessary, burn to bootable cd using nero
5. exit the frontend flash utility (this is just a wrapper, really)
6. launch the real utility by using this command at the prompt:

hfui12H OA6GA -pm MH4IA6GA.bin MRHA6GA.tbl
7. it will error, but to verify, simply reboot and check the current version in the frontend that autolaunches from the update disk. as long as it ends in A6GA, you're set. but you should know that by now, as the error message is gone 8)

edit: actually, I tried to update it again with the original switch and my modified .tbl. this time, it worked, and it gave me a "PASS", however, upon return to windows, it didn't actually update the firmware name. still shows as O. note I needed to use the /f switch to force the update, since I think it only compares the last 4. probably the O is irrelevant, but, i'm a stickler for details.
T43, 2687-D3U...

Merlyn_3D
Sophomore Member

#6 Post by Merlyn_3D » Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:27 am

Hmm....I just let the flash utility do its thing and it worked fine.
Thinkpad T43 2687-DTU: P-M 1.86GHz, Flexview LCD, CD-RW/DVD, Intel 802.11abg, Bluetooth, 1Gb Ethernet, Fingerprint Reader, 9c Li-Ion batt, WinXP Pro ------ my additions: 60GB 7200rpm travelstar, 1GB RAM

aamsel
Moderator1
Moderator1

#7 Post by aamsel » Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:57 pm

I have an older 7K60 which will not flash, although I did not get the error.
I called Hitachi, and they told me that mine did not have an EEPROM, so the firmware is not upgradeable.

Only reason I mention this is, if someone else has a similar 7K60, it won't update.

What will happen is this:
You run the flash utility from the USB floppy and it says that it has updated the firmware, but you reboot, and it is the same version.

Since there is no EEPROM (just a PROM) it won't ever update, of course.

Andrew
Austin, TX

Merlyn_3D
Sophomore Member

#8 Post by Merlyn_3D » Wed Aug 17, 2005 5:52 pm

Mine's at least a year if not a year and a half old. It seemed to work fine though, I was pleasantly surprised.
Thinkpad T43 2687-DTU: P-M 1.86GHz, Flexview LCD, CD-RW/DVD, Intel 802.11abg, Bluetooth, 1Gb Ethernet, Fingerprint Reader, 9c Li-Ion batt, WinXP Pro ------ my additions: 60GB 7200rpm travelstar, 1GB RAM

mg
Freshman Member

FW Update of Hitachi 7K60

#9 Post by mg » Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:42 pm

javamon wrote:3. edit the file MRH6GA.tbl file to look like this:

#Checksum Table
737BCE02
[...]
6. launch the real utility by using this command at the prompt:

hfui12H OA6GA -pm MH4IA6GA.bin MRHA6GA.tbl
Apparently, looking at fwhu3112, the order of the checksums is: Apple, IBM, OEM, DELL, Gateway, Compaq. Only swapping line 2 with 3 and using hfui12h IA6GA -pm MH4IA6GA.bin /f MRHA6GA.tbl yields a Pass. The OS still reports MH4OA6GA though, while hfui12h now says MH4IA6GA. Possibly they don't read the same info; might have to do with the RAM/ROM parameter in MRHA6GA.tbl?

mg
Freshman Member

7K60 Firmware Revision String

#10 Post by mg » Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:30 pm

Question: On an IBM 7K60 as shipped (and fw not updated after), does diskinfo display MH4OA6?A or MH4IA6?A?

paul_1011

#11 Post by paul_1011 » Wed Sep 07, 2005 3:54 am

I would like to upgrade the drive in my T43(2668-F5G) perhaps using one of these Hitachi drives.

Is this currently the fastest replacement drive that can be added to a T43 without causing error messages?

BillMorrow
*Senior* Admin
*Senior* Admin

#12 Post by BillMorrow » Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:21 am

currently, NO non-thinkpad option drive can be added to a T43 series without the annoying bootup error message..
i use a seagate 100gig on my T43p and it works just fine (so far) after i bypass the error message..

so, at this time, you can either live with the error message or buy the overpriced thinkpad option drive from lenovo..

or

try fiddling with the firmware on the drive to bypass the error message..

i think that lenovo better supply fixes for all the HDD's out there and available or note on their website (in BIG LETTERING) that all thinkpads will now be using proprietary HDD's and that they no longer support industry standard HDD's.. :?
Bill Morrow, kept by parrots :parrot: & cockatoos
Sysop - forum.thinkpads.com

She was not what you would call refined,
She was not what you would call unrefined,
She was the type of person who kept a parrot.
~~~Mark Twain~~~

C.Schlehaus
Freshman Member

#13 Post by C.Schlehaus » Wed Sep 07, 2005 3:08 pm

Hi,
while the option between "Thinkpad-option drive" and same drive bought by any other vendor is only a question if you'd like to live with the limitation Lenovo gives you on the max.drive size.
But what will you do if you think of 100GB or 120GB drives? There are no Thinkpad option drives that size...
As they promote their T43 to be top of the line notebook, why are there only 80GB drives as thinkpad options?

Carlhermann

egnatius

Installed off-the-shelf Fujitsu MHT2080AH

#14 Post by egnatius » Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:10 pm

I bought an off-the-shelf 80 GB 5400 RPM Fujitsu HDD (MHT2080AH) for my T43 (2668-ES1) and also got the 2010 error. I later downloaded the firmware update from here:

http://www-306.ibm.com/pc/support/site. ... hd3318.exe

I was able to update the firmware without problems. I'm running the latest BIOS 1YET57WW (1.22) and I'm not getting the error message anymore.

Just wanted to give a heads up to others interested in upgrading their hard drives.

Deckard
Sophomore Member

#15 Post by Deckard » Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:57 am

BillMorrow wrote:currently, NO non-thinkpad option drive can be added to a T43 series without the annoying bootup error message..
i use a seagate 100gig on my T43p and it works just fine (so far) after i bypass the error message..

so, at this time, you can either live with the error message or buy the overpriced thinkpad option drive from lenovo..

or

try fiddling with the firmware on the drive to bypass the error message..

i think that lenovo better supply fixes for all the HDD's out there and available or note on their website (in BIG LETTERING) that all thinkpads will now be using proprietary HDD's and that they no longer support industry standard HDD's.. :?
Hello,

does it mean that any hard drive other than IBM will give an error message during boot-up?

Does this apply only to the T43 or are the other models affected too?

BillMorrow
*Senior* Admin
*Senior* Admin

#16 Post by BillMorrow » Sun Sep 25, 2005 2:58 am

apparently this will also apply to any T42 models after updating the bios..

i don't have any T42's to try it on..
and i don't usually update the bios or anything else unless it is really required..
for a serious bug-fix..
Bill Morrow, kept by parrots :parrot: & cockatoos
Sysop - forum.thinkpads.com

She was not what you would call refined,
She was not what you would call unrefined,
She was the type of person who kept a parrot.
~~~Mark Twain~~~

konuk

#17 Post by konuk » Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:36 pm

[quote="C.Schlehaus"] But what will you do if you think of 100GB or 120GB drives? There are no Thinkpad option drives that size...quote]

Carlhermann:

I just ordered 5400 rpm 100 G Drive from IBM. The part number in Canada is 40Y8716. They are supposed to arrive tomorrow. I will post if there are any issues.

I. Konuk

cepler

#18 Post by cepler » Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:19 am

It didn't look like many people saw the article from IBM explaining what this is exactly so I thought I'd post the URL here for reference:

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site. ... MIGR-60169

HDD Firmware update page:
http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site. ... MIGR-41008

This message may occur on any system that uses the Intel 915 Express chip set. This new chipset uses a different hard drive interface technology (Serial ATA) to address the hard drive.

Models specifically included are of the following systems:

* ThinkPad R52 systems
Machine types:
o 1846, 1847, 1848, 1849, 1850, 1858, 1859, 1860, 1861, 1862, 1863, 1870

* ThinkPad T43 systems
Machine types:
o 1871, 1872, 1873, 1874, 1875, 1876, 2668, 2669, 2678, 2679, 2686, 2687

* ThinkPad X41 systems
Machine types:
o 1864, 1865, 2525, 2526, 2527, 2528

* ThinkPad X41 Tablet systems
Machine types:
o 1866, 1867, 1869

Solution

There are three possible workarounds to eliminate the error:

1. Update the hard drive firmware to the latest level. Download the hard drive firmware update, and then apply to your hard drive.
Note: This update requires a floppy disk drive.
2. Replace the hard drive with one supported by the system being used.
3. Use the hard drive, producing the 2010, error in the Ultrabay of the system or a docking station with the second hard drive adapter instead. The interface to the Ultrabay is parallel ATA. For more information visit, ThinkPad Second Hard Drive Adapter for Ultrabay Slim - Overview

Additional information
This error is purposely generated to alert the user to potential problems with diagnostic or copy tools. There are known issues with several of these listed below.

1. Disk Fitness Test (DFT) version 3.xx provided by Hitachi GST which uses vendor specific commands on the hard drive. These may not be correctly interpreted since they must pass through the serial to parallel ATA bridge. However, version 4.00 or later of the Disk Fitness Test (DFT) will work.
2. HDDTEST version 0.28 by Hitachi GST does not function properly for similar reasons. Instead, use HDDTEST version 0.29 or later.
3. DOS-based copy tools may function slowly or produce incorrect output, specifically previous versions of Norton/Symantec Ghost. These versions are not compatible with the Serial-ATA interface of the Intel ICH6M chip set. Documentation on this problem may be found at www.symantec.com. It is recommended to use either a newer version of Ghost, Norton Ghost 2003 (version 2003.789 or later) or Symantec Ghost 8.0 or later, or to use the -FNI switch when invoking Ghost from the command prompt (For example, Ghost.exe -FNI with the current version of Ghost).

Other disk copy tools and related applications, such as some backup programs, may also have similar behavior.

The hard drives shipped in the affected systems will not display the message because they already have firmware that recognizes this new Serial ATA bridge chip. However, a similar drive from an earlier ThinkPad system or an OEM drive might cause the error message to be displayed. Customers may also notice the POST error message after applying a ThinkPad BIOS update if a drive without the firmware update is installed in the system. Some early systems were shipped with a system BIOS version that did not provide this POST error message. Updated BIOS has been released to provide this informative POST error message to users.

opusitibm

Hitachi 7200 60G

#19 Post by opusitibm » Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:39 pm

mg's method works, the most easiest way is to make all the 6 checksum same for the tbl file.

nrgetic01

#20 Post by nrgetic01 » Sun Oct 30, 2005 1:00 pm

Ahhh! I dont have a floppy in ANY of my computers (never needed one). Can anyone maybe send me floppy 13 in a zip so I can make a bootable CDROM? I would really hate to order a $30 USB floppy just to use it once!

Thanks in advance.
gameraxs@yahoo.com

rkdietz

Re: 7K60 Firmware Revision String

#21 Post by rkdietz » Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:13 pm

mg wrote:Question: On an IBM 7K60 as shipped (and fw not updated after), does diskinfo display MH4OA6?A or MH4IA6?A?
I found a T43 shipped from IBM with a 60GB drive (model 2668-xxx...not sure of the last part). Ran the diskinfo.exe and found the following:

Model Number HTS726060M9AT00
HDD Firmware: MH4OA6GA !
email @ rick AT quadd DOT net

Ernic

#22 Post by Ernic » Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:33 pm

hi all,if someone got 2010 error,just "downgrade"the T43 BIOS with VERSION1.02,it will fix the error,u can use any brand、any capability HDD,i have fixed the error successful:)
download url
ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/pc/pccbbs/mo ... uj03us.exe
my english is very poor,PLZ forgive me :oops: :oops:

bios update guide from IBM
You need an AC adapter and a charged battery pack to update the system program.
If your system is attached to any kind of port replicator, turn off the system and detach it before proceeding.
If a USB Diskette Drive is attached to your system, turn off the system and detach it before proceeding.
Remove the Power-on password prior to updating the BIOS in RDM (Remote Deployment Manager) environment or similar environment.
Print these instructions or display on another system.
Firmly connect the AC adapter to the system.
Start a supported version of Windows on the target system. For Windows NT 4.0/2000/XP, logon with administrative privileges on the target system.
Make the temporary directory on the hard drive (for instance, C:\Temp)
Download the ThinkPad BIOS Update Utility from the web site and store the file into the temporary directory.
Click the Start button, then click Run.
In the Open dialog box, specify the utility filename with the full path name where you stored ThinkPad BIOS Update Utility (e.g. C:\Temp\1YUJ12US.EXE) and then press the Enter key.
Note: For unattended update, specify the file name with options "-s -a -s". (e.g. C:\Temp\1YUJ12US.EXE -s -a -s) The BIOS is updated without any user interaction.
Follow the instructions on the screen.
Depending on the operating system configuration, restarting the operating system and rerunning this BIOS update utility may be required. In this case, the following message will appear on the screen. "DeviceIoControl() returns 2 Please restart your operating system and execute the BIOS or Embedded Controller update utility again."
Windows will shut down automatically and ThinkPad BIOS Update Utility screen appears.
Select Read this first from the menu and carefully read the information that appears.
Press the Esc key to return to the menu.
Select Update system program and follow the instruction on the screen.

Attention: Do not turn off or suspend the system until the update has been completed. If you turn off or suspend the system while the update is still in progress, the system board may have to be replaced.

After the update has been completed, the system is automatically turned off.
Do the following to make sure the BIOS is updated correctly.

Turn on the system.
While the "To interrupt normal startup, press the blue Access IBM button" message is displayed at the lower-left of the screen, press the Access IBM button.
Select Start setup utility. If you have set a supervisor password, the BIOS Setup Utility menu appears after you type in the password.
Verify the BIOS version and date.
Turn off the system.

rkdietz

New BIOS to fix (get around ?) the 2010 Error

#23 Post by rkdietz » Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:36 pm

New BIOS to fix (get around ?) the 2010 Error

http://www-306.ibm.com/pc/support/site. ... MIGR-59096

and related article in Computerworld at
http://www.computerworld.com/hardwareto ... 60,00.html

Rick
email @ rick AT quadd DOT net

sonnycool

Just refreash the 7k100's firmware to remove 2010 Error

#24 Post by sonnycool » Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:50 am

1. Download the newest firmware update ISO version here:

2.use this cd booting your T43

3.when the fresh screen came up and said there is no new firmware to update, press "ESC", when the screen display"Turn off the power", you should press"CTRL+C" to jump out the AUTOEXEC.bat command. then
type the following command under dos prompt:

COPY MC4IA51A.BDF MC4OA51A.BDF

HFUI15 OA51A MCZIA51A.BDR /F MPCA51AB.TBL

then press "U" to update ,no matter whatever it display(faliure or something else), press anykey continue..
then type this under dos preompt:

HFUI15 IA51A MCZIA51A.BDR /F MPCA51AB.TBL

then press "U" to update, then, the "PASS" will display.
your 7k100 firmware is update to the OEM IBM harddirve version, then the 2010 error will not display.

dmichael

#25 Post by dmichael » Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:04 pm

I just ordered a T43 from the Lenovo website today, any chance it will have the newest BIOS firmware installed? I'd rather not have to deal with this when it comes time to either add a 2nd HDD or swap out the main one.

muffd

#26 Post by muffd » Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:46 pm

I am in the process of ordering a Segate 80gb 7200 rpm drive, model ST980825AS. Anyone install this in a T43 yet? This was one of the drives I saw on tikiworld that should work out of the box but I just wanted to make sure before I place the order.

Thanks
Thinkpad T61 7662-CTO
2.5Ghz
3gb ram
500gb 5400 Western Digital Blue

Thinkpad T60 2007-CTO
2.0 Ghz
2gb ram
320gb 5400 rpm

muffd

#27 Post by muffd » Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:10 pm

I am in the process of ordering a Segate 80gb 7200 rpm drive, model ST980825AS. Anyone install this in a T43 yet? This was one of the drives I saw on tikiworld that should work out of the box but I just wanted to make sure before I place the order.

Update march 20, 2006: I got the seagate 80gb 7200 rpm drive and it worked great right out of the box.
Thinkpad T61 7662-CTO
2.5Ghz
3gb ram
500gb 5400 Western Digital Blue

Thinkpad T60 2007-CTO
2.0 Ghz
2gb ram
320gb 5400 rpm

Terabyte

#28 Post by Terabyte » Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:54 pm

Please, help me!

Model: HTS548080M9AT00
Firmware revision: MG4OA53A

How to me to update FW I use ISO-image? Wizard.
Last edited by Terabyte on Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

DIGITALgimpus

#29 Post by DIGITALgimpus » Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:52 pm

Terabyte wrote:Please, help me!

Model: HTS548080M9AT00
Firmware revision: MG4OA53A
Serial number: MRL495L4JXDGHB

How to me to update FW I use ISO-image? Wizard.
Bottom line: you can't. At least not yet.

I've got the same drive.
T43 (2687-DUU) - 1.86GHz, 1.5GB RAM, 100GB 5400 (non IBM-firmware Hitachi 5k100) HD, Fingerprint Scanner, 802.11abg/Bluetooth, ATI x300

Terabyte

#30 Post by Terabyte » Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:25 am

Update FW HTS548080M9AT00 - it is unrealistic?

this truth?
http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.ph ... 863#101863