Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Never seen this [censored] before - can't change resolution or anything

Windows 7 on ThinkPads
Behemot

Never seen this [censored] before - can't change resolution or anything

#1 Post by Behemot » Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:59 pm

Wanted to hook second display to one of the T430s I have around with 7 cloned from who knows what, guess T420 previously. Windblows are updated to latest, latest BIOS. It is not related to driver as it behaves the same even without driver installed.

The frelling "screen resolution" window, as well as the resolution setting window under the driver app, are both crazy nuts! It looks like the crap is refreshing itself less than every second so I cannot do ANYTHING cause every setting keeps reverting itself back immediatelly when I click on anything. I can do basic operations from context menu through the driver, and via FN key, but cannot change resolution or anything as that cannot be done directly and the only two places where I can do that in windblows behave like this.

Other than that, it's working just fine, I would not have even noticed it weren't for testing of this monitor. First I thought it's screwed because of bad docking station contact or something, but it's doing the same with or without dock and even in safe mode.

Has anybody seen something like that ever before?? It appears as if there was something screwed with the graphics output or display itself if it does this EVERYWHERE incl. safe mode.

ADD// seems like it's indeed in HW as I've tried a quick new OS installation without any improvement; on the other hand it seems that the resolution could be set also under the advanced settings, displaying all regimes, and than picking the right one :eek:

atagunov

Re: Never seen this [censored] before - can't change resolution or anything

#2 Post by atagunov » Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:39 pm

Hmm.. try to boot from Ubuntu installation stick and see what happens? "Try Ubuntu", then go into "Settings" and play with resolutions?

I take it it's choosing for a you a wrong resolution? Not the best suited for the monitor? How is the monitor connected, via which cable?
X220, 2 *T520

Behemot

#3 Post by Behemot » Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:44 pm

With only the integrated display, fortunatelly that is fine. Problem is with second display which has different resolution, the result is pretty random and before I found I can select from all modes manually under the advanced settings window, there's been no way to do it.

Don't think I have any ubu around, but maybe GParted will do :D yeah and I have to swap the HDD in the ultrabay for an optical, but that's cool, I'll take it from different one from the next room :P

atagunov

#4 Post by atagunov » Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:08 pm

It's been pretty easy lately to boot ubuntu from a USB stick.. A bit easier than burning a CD. BTW what cable is it? DVI-DVI? And has the advanced menu solved the issue?
X220, 2 *T520

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#5 Post by RealBlackStuff » Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:38 pm

Maybe time to do the IVprep/1vyrain trick and get some advanced settings?
In here: viewforum.php?f=68
Still NOT a great day for a Guinness! (the Real Black Stuff).
Ireland is on FULL lockdown until Easter 2021!
Covid-19: Stay safe, so Mask it or Casket!