Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

T22 CPU undervolting + fan control under Win 98?

T20-T23 Series and T30. NOT for T25-Retro.
zoltan87

T22 CPU undervolting + fan control under Win 98?

#1 Post by zoltan87 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:20 pm

I am trying to find a program that I could use to undervolt the cpu in my Thinkpad T22 under Windows 98SE. Does a program like that exists? Also is there a way to see and even control the fan speed? The hugely useful and popular TPfancontrol program unfortunately doesn't work on Win 98.
Thinkpad T60, 15" Flexview, with mods (Xiphmont's LED mod, T500 heatsink, cpu undervolt, reinforced frame)
Thinkpad T601, 15" Flexview, with mods (Xiphmont's LED mod, T500 heatsink, cpu undervolt, reinforced frame)
Thinkpad X32
Thinkpad T22
NEC ProSpeed SX/20

Screamer

Re: T22 CPU undervolting + fan control under Win 98?

#2 Post by Screamer » Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:25 pm

zoltan87 wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:20 pm
Does a program like that exists?
No such application exists for that purpose, as you cannot control SpeedStep to that extent. The SpeedStep technology that is featured in your mobile Coppermine is only capable of switching between two hard-defined states, which has its own hard programmed definitions for core voltage and clock frequency. In other words, you can't undervolt via software.

However, you can undervolt via hardware. A pin-mod, to be more specific. It involves bridging some VID pins.

Say for example, you have the fastest mobile Coppermine clocked at 1 GHz. That would mean a core voltage of 1.7 V at 1 GHz, and a core voltage of 1.35 V at 700 MHz. 1.7 V in VID-code would translate to VID1 and VID2 being set to high, and the rest to low, which are VID0, VID3, and VID4. Now, if you were to undervolt it to 1.6 V, you would need to set VID3 to high and VID1 + VID2 to low. This will be a problem if the processor switches to 700 MHz when it is idling, which means the core voltage is set to 1.35 V. In VID-code, that is VID0, VID2, and VID3 set to high and the rest to low. However, that would be different in reality as VID1 and VID2 were permanently set to low to allow the undervolt to work. Instead of 1.35 V that it should get by factory specifications, you would get a core voltage of 1.55 V. That is 1.55 V(!) at 700 MHz, so be very careful with what you are going to bridge together.
zoltan87 wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:20 pm
Also is there a way to see and even control the fan speed?
Have you tried IBM_ECW? It works under Windows NT 4.0, so I believe it might work under Windows 98 Second Edition as well.

zoltan87

Re: T22 CPU undervolting + fan control under Win 98?

#3 Post by zoltan87 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:43 pm

I was hoping I could achieve undervolting through software. The thing is,I just don't know enough about the subject to be brave enough to attempt this through hardware mod. I mean I have a T601 Frankenpad in which I run a T9900 cpu with pin mod, but I remember when I did that mod I had very specific instructions to follow, so I tried my luck and it worked.

I will give IBM_ECW a try.
Thinkpad T60, 15" Flexview, with mods (Xiphmont's LED mod, T500 heatsink, cpu undervolt, reinforced frame)
Thinkpad T601, 15" Flexview, with mods (Xiphmont's LED mod, T500 heatsink, cpu undervolt, reinforced frame)
Thinkpad X32
Thinkpad T22
NEC ProSpeed SX/20